Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Year 2, Day 342 & 342: Get Your Christmas ON!

Friday (day 242) was somewhat a normal stay at home day with teenager sleeping in, kids doing schoolwork, toddler running amuck.  Jared had to make an airport run and then Abishai and he (along with the grandparents) went to Benaiah's play.  Abishai did really well and I guess sat on the floor watching it.  He talked a lot about the cookie he ate when he got home.  If you ask him questions, he can answer a lot of them.  Like, "What did you do?" "I ate cookie!" "Did you see Miah dance?" "Yes, Miah dance!" So you still have to lead him a bit, but he does know what you are talking about.  I'm sure lots of 3 years old can do that, but I know some cannot, so I rejoice that we don't have to worry about it like we had to with Justin (who sometimes never stops talking now).

And today:


Then today, Saturday, we have had a full day.  I woke up early at 6:30 and I'm not sure why.  I was having an intense dream again, and it put my brain into full gear so I couldn't fall back asleep.  I spent most of the next hour praying about this or that in my long list of anxieties and fears.  So I didn't need my alarm, nor did I need Jared's alarm.  The rest of the kids were sleeping in, but Keturah and I had early morning events so did eventually get up.  She had her dress rehearsal for her musical tomorrow night, but Grandma was able to take her and bring her home.  I attended my book study on classical education, which was an incredible shot in the arm for our homeschooling journey just reaffirming some truths, seeing the big picture, clarifying some topics I was unsure about, etc.  Just being with my "kin" boosts my spirits. My "kin" being educators in general, not just homeschooling.  Jared and I both have "education/teaching" on our spiritual gift assessments so either we highly value education or we do actually have the passion and skills to educate others.  And part of my anxieties this morning revolved around homeschooling and parenting, although this week went much better than some weeks.

But as we both stepped out the door, we came across some white powdery stuff falling from the sky!  It was snowing big fluffy flakes covering everything!  Just one inch so far, but maybe another inch later on this evening.  Oh how much snow lifts my spirits!  I love, love, LOVE snow!  I used to build massive forts as a pre teen and teenager.  I enjoy making snowmen.  Just as long as I'm bundled up properly of course!  But the best part of it is seeing it through the eyes of a toddler.  Abishai saw it and immediately ran out to the sidewalk and back inside quickly in just his pajamas and NO socks!  And he did that 3 times without blinking an eye!  Oh my Canadian baby!  How much I love that you love the outdoors and snow! And when I came back from the book study, we did put his boots and coat on and they played in the backyard for a bit before we headed to our Christmas activity of the day.

Today felt like Christmas to me! Snow is a gift in my opinion.  It makes everything white and fresh and bright.  And it was awesome to have it on the sidewalks as we walked up and down the Main St. in Beech Grove, our old stomping grounds.  They had a free "Polar Express" event where some of the shops gave out candy and other shops had activities like cookie decorating, reindeer craft, and take a picture with Santa!  I have been on the hunt for something like this that was FREE and relatively small and including things I didn't want to do at home like cookie decorating and SANTA.  Santa isn't the main thing in our household, but I like to include him.  And again, with a toddler who now understands, I want to indulge in him being a child and seeing everything for the first time.  I love the preschool age of wonder.  Even the tantrums are tolerable most days because I know he's just expressing himself.

This Christmas, I've been pretty frustrated when the kids have asked for physical stuff they want.  They are not doing in a mean spirited way or even a selfish way.  We all make lists for Christmas and we plan out 3 gifts per person and narrow it down and talk about our choices, etc.  Some come from Santa, some come from grandparents, etc.  I've been frustrated because I know we can't buy everything they want, even things that are excellent choices, because of finances.  I also get frustrated because I don't want more physical stuff to take care of to come into the house when I still need to purge and their rooms are full and messy.  I would rather focus on and buy gift certificates to events or special things like the children's museum.  But I also want them to have something to enjoy on Christmas day, so I try to go half and half.  Well, this Christmas was going to be a lot of IOU's for special events, but because I earned a good amount of commission from Lilla Rose this month, I can now stick the actual money for those things like movies or restaurants under the tree! Yeah!  I even got another order earlier today!  Praise God!

So, my focus has been on doing things together and making memories, but also being short on funds, we have to be creative.  Buying gingerbread house making supplies can be costly.  Decorating cookies comes with a cost. Going to the Children's Museum means we need to buy tickets.  Going ice skating has a fee.  You get my drift.  I've always wanted to do little events like today's Polar Express but haven't made it enough of a priority or I've made up excuses like "I don't have energy. We have enough to do this weekend. The baby needs a nap."  But no more! Benaiah has this Christmas and then two more Christmases before he's in college.  Yes he'll come home of course, but he won't be around to do a lot of the stuff I like to do.  I'd rather go to something on a weekday without the crowds.  Anyway, I'm tired of saying, "I don't have time.  I'll do it next year."  Things like going downtown to see the lights on the circle.  We've never parked and done that.  Ever.  And it only costs us parking.  Sure we could buy fancy hot chocolate and ride in a carriage and spend $100, but we don't have to.  Now that Abishai can walk for longer periods of time and his nap is more flexible, we can make the effort and have fun for once! Unfortunately, Benaiah couldn't be with us because he had tech.  And I have to be ok with it because if I wait until all of us are available, again, we won't do it.  There's a conservatory/indoor garden at one of our local parks that is having a "Jingle Rails" event every day, and a family can get in for $10.  That's a 10% of the cost to go see the big Jingle Rails exhibit at one of the museums downtown.  We did that one years ago when Justin was into trains.  This one at the park will be smaller but still fun.  They put trains all in and around their garden.  And we can go on a Friday when Jared can take off for a long lunch and Benaiah is out of school.  I'm so excited!

I don't talk about it much, but because I do have more energy thanks to a supplement I take (I get it on Amazon, it's not a DS company one), and I have learned to push through some of my health issues, I can finally do some of the things, too, where as before I would make the excuse that I just can't keep up.  I'll rest on Monday because Sunday is very full as well, and the kids will need the break.  So I'm thankful my health is somewhat stable at the moment, even if I'm not in the same physical shape that I was when I was 20.  We are going to try to make it to a live nativity put on by a church some of my homeschool moms go to this week as well.  We loved going through the drive through one 2 years ago near Canoe Cove Christian Camp back on PEI.  Abishai wouldn't really remember something like that and I think he'll love seeing something like this.  And we've had two Christmas musicals to attend, and Benaiah went to "A Christmas Carol" with his school, and, well, we have our other low key traditions at home.  And we did Operation Bright Christmas, giving gifts for poor families in Beech Grove.  And Christmas card exchanges with my Michael W. Smith fans and with some local homeschoolers.  Free or cheap and not with a lot of physical keepsakes.  Maybe that's why we don't do as many crafts at home.  I can't make myself throw them away, so I don't bother with the busy work altogether.

Anyways, that's my story.  It's been a great day! And after having a rough one mentally yesterday (not the kids' or Jared's fault), I needed it.  Yeah! Go, God!

Snow! Snow! Snow!

Socks loves snow!

For some reason, Abishai thought he needed to "gear up" and attack the snow.  What?! Barefoot, too!  Crazy Canadian, eh?

Justin Barefoot in the Snow!

Abishai Barefoot in the Snow!
You know you have a Canadian in your mist when....there's footprints in the snow!  And poor Benaiah got a ton of texts this morning from his friends teasing him about Canada and snow. 

The other hot cake in his short sleeves and shorts, barefoot!  What kind of children are we raising? Lol!

Playing in the backyard in the snow.

Ah! Snowflakes! Large and fluffy and beautiful!

Just a little bit of coverage in the back.

"I sit both!" - Abishai, maybe about sitting on both tire swings?

4th Annual Beech Grove Polar Express!  I'm so glad we got there exactly at 1pm when it started because lines were shorter and we were the first ones into this activity - cookie decorating!

Helping Abishai.

Yummy!  They gave us bag for them that fit the plates as well and we immediately put them in the car because we parked near this shop! It was in a restaurant that Jared and his Dad would meet in sometime when Jared worked for Scott Veerkamp's mortgage company across the street.

I sit! Abishai did very well listening and standing in line and staying close.  Justin, however, only wanted his hot chocolate and doughnut, but we saved that for last.  Keturah wanted to go into most of the shops which were candy stops.  Cute cheesy face!

Justin and Keturah did not want to get close to Santa and at first, Abishai wouldn't do it and I was afraid he was going to throw a tantrum but...

Santa worked his magic and we got this photo!  Way to go, Santa!  You're a pro! Picture with Santa, 2017, check!

Fake tree on top of old car making it look pretty cool! I think they leave it there n purpose for the season.  Awesome!

Reindeer craft!

Not sure why it's extra bright, but Daddy helped Abishai with his reindeer craft.  Abishai loves crafts!  They could have made a snowman paper bag craft but the line was very long.
Both Uncle Aaron and I worked for Mr. Bart at Business Art & Design almost 16-17 years ago.  This is their "new" location, aka, we didn't work in this building but in a smaller space still on Main St.  I enjoyed that job a ton because I had to be precise and pulling up the vinyl you don't use, etc.  Fun stuff!

Candy stop!

Candy bag getting full!

Polar Express complete with snow and little guy with big guy.

Kids plus snow equals happy Mommy.

Carolers in this Treasure Trove trinket shop.  Very nice store with lots of pretty goodies!  NOT goodwill!

Trains in the treasures store!

Bwahahahaha!

Perfect photo! Pre teen is annoyed at having to walk so far for his doughnut, little man is unsure of it all, and 9 yr old is in heaven and enjoying herself.

Mommy, hot chocolate! Doughnut!

The only problem with small town businesses and events like this is that, if there's any kind of line, it can get tough to squeeze through.

Ah, Beech Grove! Where we lived for 10 years!

Time to eat our cookies!

Cheesy face again and he put out his hands to show me his mess, too.

Justin claims this is a pokedex where you keep your pokemon you catch.  I think it looks me like a handheld gaming console.


All the stops and supporting businesses.

Yeah! Fun!

Oooo, look, how cute!  They used old spice tins like I have at home to make these cute characters!  I can't wait to do that to ours!

Big cookie with yummy condiments for a little guy.

I was awake, but this is where he sat after coming out of his room.  I guess he was just waiting for us.

He had his bunny (Justin's bunny, but his new obsession) as his companion and two blankets from the living room.

Yesterday was pretty cold, so when Socks came in, he curled up really tightly in the fireside room while we did school.

I took this picture from inside the car after I had used the wipers once.  It was coming down pretty fast and now the whole sunroom is creaking from the rippin' wind.  Kind of sounds like a snowstorm!

Two hours later, I come out of my book study and found this pristine 1 inch of snow on the parking lot.  Awesome!

Benaiah was in the main office of the church this afternoon and look what he found!  Justin's backpack! We've been missing that thing for over a month! It has all his poke'mon cards in it and a library book!  Praise the Lord!!!

Snow covered roads on the way home!  I was going super slow and this was taken in our neighborhood where no one drives.  But I did have to go up our "big" hill at the end of this street.  I didn't slip because I was going the right speed for it, but Jared did.  I however, did slip at the stop sign at the top of the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment