Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Year 3, January 19-20, 2018: Playtime for everyone!

Yesterday, January 19th, I took the kids to an indoor playspace in Greenwood called KidCity.  It wasn't anything too "wowing" but it was enough to keep them busy for awhile being creative and there was plenty of room to run.  One of our homeschool groups was going to meet there, but to be honest, I didn't see many of them, or I didn't recognize them.  Nonetheless, Justin especially enjoyed building with big styrofoam blocks.  Abishai like playing "grocery shopping."  Keturah enjoyed mothering a 1 yr old friend. And Benaiah sat in the corner binge watching some TV show on Netflix is friend suggested that he had no idea what the title was (The Office).  It was pretty tiring for me to have to walk around, camera in hand, I should have sat down more.  Thankfully, Benaiah watched my purse so I didn't have to lug that one around.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do on Monday at the State House because I'm hoping to pack a few snacks at least since we will be there all day.  So, I'm sore.

Today, I had a mommy playdate where we talked about essential oils and made some DIY things for ourselves or for gifts.  I should have sat down because I was sore from standing as well.  And these are the things you think about when you are in pain all the time and feeling overwhelmed because you simply can't pick up one more thing from the floor without crying in pain.  Jared's sciatica is slightly better, but it's going to take a long time.  I want to go out and remind myself that there is a world beyond my home, but I'm also struggling with this exhaustion.  And then the sheer fact that others' homes might be cleaner or more organized or less cluttered can become so overwhelming to those with chronic pain and physically can't handle it, even if they have the time.  So, I'm hoping to sleep better tonight, go to church, and perhaps tackle a box or two of Christmas decorations.  Jared will take the boys to Crave, so Keturah, Abishai, and I will be at home.  Groceries are bought for the week as well.  And I'm telling you, it's time for a 2nd freezer (at least, maybe a full fridge) again!  I would rather shop every 10 days or so.  I find it very taxing to play tetris in our fridge.  Maybe it's the whole side by side thing or maybe we are just a family of 6 who eats a lot of non pantry items!  We won't talk about how much it costs to do a Whole30, even when just shopping at Aldi's, and you are trying to keep the kids healthy.  I'm not far off from my favorite long time food blogger's weekly grocery bill and she has 4 teenage/college age boys! And that's why I try to fill in my personal diet with beans and rice.  But it takes a lot of fruit and veggies and meat to make a calorie dense meal.  And I cannot have as much fat as some people because it makes me ill.  But I need to stop talking about it.  20 days to go.  And then reintroduction. 

Ok, ok, enough is enough of that.  Oh yeah, Benaiah and Ethan went to an Euchre Tournament fundraiser at Benaiah's school and he just told me that they probably had the worst points of the night.  But he had fun! And it's a win in my book because he wasn't plugged into his earphones like he has been the last two days.  I know he's drowning out the noise of his siblings, but it can also bother me when he doesn't engage them.  It's a work in progress family dynamic we want to keep working diligently on.

The playspace had this incredible two story climbing structure, similar to the one in the Children's Museum Playscape (baby to preschooler) area.  Abishai did try it, but only as far as he could get back down by himself. 

Abishai did willingly climb up and slide down this tunnel countless times.  It was attached to a life sized version of those ball and wire toys the little ones love where you push the beads/balls up and over a web of wires to the other side.  It was a little dangerous when fingers would get between the balls, but something fun for the kids to do, too.

Keturah liked the tunnel, too.

There was a preschooler sized play structure as well.  Abishai conquered that one easily.  KidCity is in the Greenwood Community Center which has rooms for rent, weights/exercise classes, basketball courts, etc.  There is also an outdoor "musical garden" that the kids can play on when it's not icy.  It was closed today though.


Aw, cute!

Climbing the all enclosed play structure!

Justin and a new friend he made from the homeschool group.

Top of the structure!  I think I would panic if I was in there.  It goes up and then down, and does NOT open up to the 2nd floor balcony.

Kroger, a grocery store chain here in the midwest, obvisoualy sponsored the supermarket type area upstairs.  There were cash registers, grocery carts, cereal boxes, fruits and vegetables, etc.  There was also an area that looked like a kitchen with fridge and stove.  And in the back, there was a play for the kids to draw and do a little crafting.

Green screen sports!  Stand in front of the green background and the camera will pick up your signal and then you can be part of the show!  It was also on the 2nd floor.  Not pictured is a long Lego table, places to eat your snack you brought, some different building materials, and a place to sit or climb, kind of like risers.

Got boys? Will fight!

Justin testing out his leadership skills showing and telling the younger boys how to help him build a fort!  He didn't want to leave later, because he wanted to build his 3rd structure!

First structure!  Fort with cannons!

Light up wall on the 2nd floor.

"I get growcies."


Roar! I'm a turtle!

Lots of bins and shelves.

Watching Keturah play with Baby Sarah and her mommy standing near.  Baby Sarah is now over 1 years old!

Peek a boo!  Sarah is super friendly and smiley and loves Keturah!

Here's a good picture of the whole structure with the tunnel and balls.

Um, how old are you?

2nd structure!  A home? A bunker?


Peek a boo!

Whoops!  The house crumbled (no one was in at the time).  Time to climb!

He didn't move much from this spot.

See those big balls to the right?  You can slide them across the big poles.  Oh,and Abishai hadn't had a good nap on Thursday, so he was tired and fell asleep on the way TO the play place.  It was only 11 am!  And he didn't fall asleep on the way home either.  But he did sleep a very long time after we got him home and into his bed.

Aw, keeping an eye on his boy, who, once again, hadn't drank enough water for the day.

Before my little oils DIY, I went back over the ice tree.  Check out how pretty it is now!  We did have some snow and ice and very cold temps, and it looks like they added a bunch of more color to it.  I don't know why but they thing makes me so happy!

Wow!  I think I'm reminded of the sea ice we had in Canada (and my friend went to go see it today, so it's on my mind).  But, I think I love it even more because it's free to go and see it.  The family does it every year just to give back to the community.  They have very humble signage, Facebook, and website.  They don't see out news reporters or journalists.  They usually aren't there when you stop by.  You come, you enjoy it for a few minutes, and you leave.  They don't accept donations.


A quote someone shared on a Facebook page recently that describes me perfectly.

Gorgeous!

And finally, Keturah noticed that Jared has an official staff badge at Benaiah's school.  Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment