Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Friday, June 8, 2018

Year 3, June 7th, 2018: Recovery

Wow, lookout, here comes the pain.  Not sure how long it will last this time because at least I sort of timed it well with having chiropractor and my friend who does facials/relaxation techniques.  But still, I'm exhausted, probably because I watched the second to last episode of the last season of Downton Abbey and it was double the length of a regular episode so um, I went to bed way too late.  But I would be mentally exhausted anyway today, and the pain gets to be exhausting.  So, I'm typing to remind myself that today was a day of rest and it's ok if I didn't do much.  I managed to put the boxes we brought into the house in their proper places for later.  Dinner was leftovers.  I dove into Keturah's room to see what she needed for clothing before we went a garage sale tomorrow, and, come to find it, the little booger has plenty of clothes now.  I have to go through all of it with her again, but once we gathered everything from hither and yon, she ended up filling her drawers just fine.  I couldn't do all of it tonight, but just wanted to see approximately where we are at so I didn't overspend.  I'm only going to this garage because it's a fundraiser.  Justin needs sandals.  We could always use more shoes for Keturah.  And who knows what shoes I might find for me.  I'm not worried about clothes anymore because a friend of mine gave me like 10 bagfuls and she is almost exactly my size and a similar taste.  It will be hard not keeping all of it.  That's why I haven't quite tackled that either.  But now that the outside project is done and it's again 90 degrees outside, I'll be able to manage the projects I can break up into smaller pieces over the rest of the summer AFTER I recover from yesterday.  Again, if I didn't have fibromyalgia, I could just keep going and going.  But I can't.  I have to rest.  Physically and mentally.

The kids had a normal day with Grandma, including Socks having a visit over at Grandma's house when the kids were there for my second appointment.  Benaiah worked on setting up his dual credit college course and played gobs of his video games and binge watched Parks and Recreation.  The others did their summer school stuff, chores, screen time, etc. Jared had a nice, full day at work undisturbed by me, the kids, the house, or teaching high school.  Don't know if Gary interrupted his day or not, lol.  Abishai is in bed early, and I'm hoping the rest go to bed early, too.

Yes, another day, another screen shot.  But this one is so totally true!  That's why if I haven't put it on my calendar or put it on paper or a notebook phone app, I'm not going to remember it!

And this is why I'm so sore today.  My average last month was 3,500 steps.  So I upped my goal to 4,000 steps per day.  I've been doing a little bit better at being active.  And then yesterday, a went way over double my goal.  Today's step count? A whopping 2,747.  And that's ok by me!

You never know what you'll walk into in the kitchen in the morning.  Abisahai always wakes us up first, usually around 7, although sometimes it's closer to 8.  This time, he was still a bit sleepy, so he got himself a snack and laid down.  He's not asleep, but it's cute!

Watching Daddy leave the garage for the first time ever in our whole marriage! We used the Beech Grove garage for my car for maybe the first year, tops.  Most take being able to use their garage for it's intended purpose for granted, but growing up, when my parents added on to their house, which included a two car garage with a high ceiling, it was filled with junk.  The basement was full of stuff, the family room was huge but full of junk.  I was born into a hoarding family (my dad's side of the family).  So, we are breaking the cycle!  Yeah!

Bye, Daddy!  Abishai did get in the truck while we were getting breakfast though.  We might leave truck's doors locked so he can't try anything or leave the light on and run down the battery.  He can unlock the interior door now so that's useless for keeping him out of the garage.
Putting the table to good use!  I shared this with Uncle Bill and he said it's made of marine grade plywood and is not an original design.  But, they did trace it and cut it themselves.  They could fit 4 men on it easily while they were doing their camping at the Northmen.
Breakfast time!

Always wrestling.

Look how big I can blow it!

Abishai wanted to go with Justin and Grandpa for their lunch to finish up Bible class (which ended up at Kroger deli, go figure).  Justin had helped him take off his clothes earlier, so he was just down to his diaper.  He ran and got his winter boots and slung on a backpack and headed out the door.  He wasn't very happy when I wouldn't let him go with Grandpa.

Later, he tried on Justin's Jamaica hat from the Dewars, so adorable!

No, I won't smile for the camera!

Abishai seemed a lot heavier to me so I weighed him and looked up his percentile on the growth charts.  He is finally 30lbs!  And in the 24% percentile!  That means 75% of kids are bigger than him and 25% are smaller than him.  It doesn't mean that it's a healthy weight or not.  But it IS growth!

Keturah came in at almost 70 lbs and 42%, pretty average as always.

Justin is now as big as I was as a 12 yr old.  He's at 90 lbs and yes, I weighed less than 100 lbs when we got married.  I never grew after 12 yrs old.  Justin is in the 34% percentile.

The growth chart goes up to 20 years so I plugged in what I thought were Benaiah's number at 240 lbs.  He's at 99% weight for his age, go figure.  Even if he weighed 220lbs, he'd still be in the obese category when you calculate BMI, but that doesn't surprise us.  He's trying to keep his snacking under control, and choosing better food.  That is until he gets free pop every shift at Chick Fil A or whatever.  We'll see.  It's partly genetics for him.  But he's nearly full grown, just like Jared hasn't changed much since he was that age.  Jared's weight has fluctuated 30lbs either direction from his average.  I'm gained all mine back and I'm not happy about it.  I'm tracking my food choices (not the calories per say, although the app does that) and making sure I'm not overindulging in carbs and sugar.  But I don't care how many calories veggies and protein sources add. If I'm hungry because I've worked hard, I'll eat.  Smarter choices for all of us.

Always ready to help.

He found a sneaky spot to pull Justin's blanket to and have a snack.

Sneakin' around.

I tried to take a selfie so I could say, "I'm diving in, wish me luck" on social media but I couldn't crop out my extra weight and get the mess in the shot.  So, here's a portion of the mess.  The girl does her best, but I don't understand her oganization skills.  I guess the same could be said of me if someone just walked in and saw my piles.  So, I try to stay out of it.  She's not allowed to have any more storage containers because of all of us, she has the most closet space, dresser space, and storage containers than the rest of us combined.  Well, I technically have the whole house and shed, but I'm talking the very personal, not to share with others type of stuff.  That's the whole idea behind getting everything to it's proper location first, then assessing how much of each category we have, and then decluttering it down to fit that space.  So, by doing that in her room, we discovered we don't need to spend any more money on clothes this year.  For me, I don't want to store any of my clothes anymore and switch them out by season.  I want them to fit in my closest and a certain portion of hers and my dresser.  And that should be plenty.  It's going to take me awhile to get there, but that's the end goal.

Someone had an after dinner snack party while we were all busy elsewhere, complete with camping chair, 3 snacks, and his drink.  Oh, and his getaway vehicle.

He fell asleep in Daddy's arms at 8 pm!  Usually it's closer to 9! He wasn't even that active today, at least not when I was around.  They stayed inside for the most part because of the heat.  He might be 3 1/2 and 30 lbs but he's still little enough fr a lap.  Sweet! Adorble!

No comments:

Post a Comment