Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Thursday, September 9, 2021

Year 6, September 3rd-5th, 2021: Top to Bottom, Left to Right

 In one week, we've traveled from Castleton (near northeast side of Indy) to Greenwood (south of Indy) and from just northwest of downtown to the Indianapolis Museum of Art (about 30 minutes from us) to Greenfield (30 minutes west of us). I feel like we've in the car forever making a big giant circle! Literally! That's what I get for going on a "field trip" spree! I guess I had gotten tired of sitting at home behind a keyboard and needed to do "all the things" before we got tied down with more book learning. So we started our ASL lessons, went to the water park, went to the museum of art, and played at the park with our friends. Phew! And now, the New Orleans cousins are here! Yes, I played a part in convincing them to drive the rest of the way north so we could see them before they headed all the way back south. Shauna said that their neighborhood does have power again, so they won't stay too long, but just the squeals from all of the kids this evening is enough for me to know it was worth it. I hope it was worth it for her and the girls, too. But that's how our day ended. Let's talk about how our Friday and holiday weekend started.

Today was our field trip to Newfields, and art complex on the Indy's northwest side, which includes the Indianapolis Museum of Art. We went with a group of about 50 other homeschoolers to the Lume exhibit. We had access to the exhibit for an hour before the rest of the museum was open to regular visitors. And I am so glad! Because when we left, there was a long line! And it was mostly adults. We were able to let the kids roam and run a bit in this really cool room with tons of screens and images projected on the floors and they could literally run and none of the curators had to tell them to stop. It was very cool to see them excited and interact with it that way. It was very artsy to see them follow the patterns from one part of the display. The main part and purpose of this display was to show Van Gogh's life through his paintings. But the kids weren't patient enough for that part so we skipped it and went to the other parts. I didn't make the kids read all of the signs about Van Gogh's paintings and life because we have studied Van Gogh enough to know his history of poverty and mental illness and how he died and yet brilliance and genius in his art. And how under appreciated it was until after he died. We did get to see one real Van Gogh but the kids still barely took it in. Justin was on his phone, Keturah was sighing, and Abishai was laying on every bench he saw. Teenagers who aren't into classical art are the worst though. You uncultured swine! Lol! And this, my people, is why I haven't attempted to brought them here before. I'm not sure how well even Jared would tolerate it. I could wander for hours and just read and take it in. Well, maybe not hours. My back and legs would protest. But to just stare in the quiet at something made by someone else, especially from the classical period of the arts up through realism or pointillism. Magnificent! Modern art, eh? It's ok. I'll go through it like we did but it's not something to study in my opinion. Give me the Rembrandts and Da Vincis. Or African culture or ancient Chinese culture. Yup. I'm all there. Let me stare at the intricacies. Except I've never been given that luxury. Ever. Because I always have kids pulling at my arms. Really studying something takes a keen eye and patience. Kids don't have that. And neither has most adults. That's why most adults zip through a museum in an hour and say "that's nice." and then some other adults spend hours and hours in a museum or go back often to study just one piece.

Anyway, Abishai did alright for the first hour or so, and then after we visited one other exhibit of the regular museum, he was done. I would have loved to go through one more gallery but no one would let me. And then as we were leaving, Abishai changed his mind again! But all he wanted was to buy something from the gift ship. Nope. Not even going there. He did like taking a selfie and seeing it change into the style of a Van Gogh painting (see photos below). And there was another part where the kids could virtually magnify a Van Gogh painting and see the details. And finally there was a 3D rendering of the blue bedroom painting and I'm not sure how much we were allowed to mess with it, but no one told us not to and there was no rope or signage so I let the kids mess with it a bit carefully, so that was cool. I was expecting a bit more interaction like a children's museum might have but I had to remind myself this is the art museum and then also, I thought they had more Van Gogh's because all their advertisements made it sound like they did. And the sticker price sounded like it did. Maybe I just expect more out of my ticket price these days, I don't know. For what I paid for it was fine. But for what others were paying for, if it was just for the Lume, it was not. Hopefully they got to visit the rest of the museum as well. And I guess I just get really, really annoyed at how advertisers over promise and under deliver. It doesn't help when I was a business major and had to take a marketing class and still know how we try to not do that and yet, still not put out too much value and cut into our profits, too. It didn't help that Justin was starving because he got up 5 minutes before we had to leave and didn't eat enough breakfast. And Abishai and Keturah were already hungry, too.You'd think they would learn. But no. Teenaging.

After the museum, we went home for lunch. Then after lunch, the boys and I loaded up again to go to park day, 30 minutes to our east. So 30 minutes west to home to 30 minutes east. But first we had to pick up a friend. I also had to take a 15 minute telehealth phone call right at 2pm so I did that in the friend's driveway. Which is fine because normally, not everyone gets to park day until 15 minutes or later. Well, they were there on time, and we were the ones late. Whoops. But all was well. It was a gorgeous September day outside. Higher 70's with a breeze in the shade. I wore my capris but had longer sleeves on so I didn't a sweatshirt. The kids played gaga ball and then went and sat by the creek (the older ones did and yes, they supervised each other.) Abishai found some kids his size to play football with and even shared his prized football. He was so adorable! We women talked about some serious stuff like what's happening in the schools, a little bit about Covid stuff, and then our normal stuff about life, marriage, family, homeschooling, parenting, and all the things. The usual. And like usual. We stayed an extra hour. We finally got our extra kid back to her house and headed home.

When we got home, Jared wasn't back yet from Jim's house. He had come home early to finish Jim's tree today because it's supposed to be rainy tomorrow. But he was also assigned to grill the fresh hamburgers that have been in the fridge for a week over the open fire pit in the backyard. And since we didn't get home until 5:45 either, we didn't end up eating until 6:30 I think. Oh boy. We were all a bit hangry by then. And then tired. But we had to stay awake because we had some special visitors coming around 9pm. Eeek! I finally talked Shauna and the girls to coming up here to visit us before heading back to NOLA. They will just be visiting for a few days because the power did come back on at their house and they don't need to do any cleanup at their house. BUT there's tons to be done everywhere else. And Shauna especially is anxious to get back done there to help. And the girls want to help their friends I'm sure. But my kids and I were going to be sorely disappointed if they were halfway to Indiana and didn't come see us because they have done that a few times already. It was a crazy "let's all talk at once" happy reunion as always, and it was always all about the poor confused guinea pigs, who of course had to evacuate from NOLA, too, because the heat from not having any a/c because of no electricity would have probably killed them, were with the girls. They were eager to show them off and my kids were delighted to meet them for the first time. Well, Benaiah wasn't. Poor Benaiah. He didn't know anyone was coming and taking over his den. He just got booted out. I did give him a few hour warning though when I asked him he wanted to join us to go apple picking this weekend.

Benaiah is running solo this weekend with his errands, well, sort of. He's got guys to hang out with if he wants to, but no girlfriend because her family has the "plague" aka Covid. No fun. They are doing ok. Just gotta get over it and move on. Oh well. These things happen. There's no middle school worship and no high school Crave tomorrow, so maybe more family time for us tomorrow? Grandpa is still away hiking mountains so,......who knows! I don't have major deadlines but I've got some little things to keep working on like catching up on here (as of me typing this on Saturday afternoon, I have to go back and finish Wednesday's entry).

On a side note, after figuring out medications and restless leg syndrome and moods, I have now figured out sleeping on the couch gives me a much better night's sleep than sleeping in our bed. Jared's movements and our mattress wake me up at least 6 times a night, causing me to not cycle properly and therefore I don't rest well enough and that's another reason I'm so tired. Also, sleeping with me causes me to wake up in the middle of the REM sleep or dream cycle and then I get those dream headaches. And I got those every morning for months in the spring because of his alarm clock or even before his alarm clock. When I sleep alone, I naturally wake up before my alarm clock at the end of one of my dream cycles and then I don't get a headache. And I usually just think or pray or rest while it gets light outside. It's a much better way to start the day. SO, we need a new mattress and I'll have to decide every night what will be best for me, so sleep in our bed with him or sleep on the couch  It's frustrating. But I need to be on the top of my game. I have to take care of me. Or I can't take care of him or the kids. And this summer was awful trying to figure all of this out. Surely we know a few people in the mattress business or something. We'll see. Oh and my lower back hurts in our bed. I sleep on my right hip in our bed. I sleep on my left hip on the couch. I get more heartburn in our bed with my pillow (which is pretty new, fyi) than with the couch pillow which I slightly prop up. Hitting your 40's is not a fun thing sometimes!

Oh, and I've been waiting to take my gabapentin so I don't get sleepy so soon but I've been working so hard this week playing with the kids trying to make up for earlier this summer that I'm still not completing the blog. Ugh! Oh well. Getting caught up now. 

And we are down to 1 week from today! New album! Tv special! Can't wait!


After you make your self portrait, it goes up on this wall digitally. Pretty cool! And you can email it to yourself, too!


I'm kind of bummed I forgot to take a photo of the name of this one, but this is the only real Van Gogh painting they had out in the exhibit. It's a painting of himself working in a wheat field. Yeah, it's the real deal. After I told Abishai to look really closely at the raised brush strokes, he started telling another young girl behind him. He's such a sponge and once he knows a fact, he wants to tell the whole world. I can't believe Keturah didn't get the least bit excited or have any appreciation to be standing in front of a 130 year old panting by THE one and only Vincent Van Gogh. I mean, COME ONE. HE was standing in front of this painting 130 years ago. Just imagine it! Ah!

Of course photos don't do it justice. That's why you HAVE to go to an art museum yourself. The texture alone is incredible! How can you paint like that? And have the patience to let it drive like that? There were a couple of other paintings from that time period but they were more "normal" flat stroke layered paintings of similar scenes from similar areas of Italy. It just makes me feel so much more sophisticated to be standing in front of masterpieces like these taking it all in. And aw, one of the curators were there dusting off the glass and she said sorry she was late because she was in a meeting and had gotten to it yet. Remember our field trip was allowed in 1 hr before the opening of the museum to regular customers, so no worries. Sigh.

A 3D rendering of the Blue Bedroom painting. But everything is stiff and painting over or down. So no soft pillows for example. Kind of weird. Note that the teen is on his phone, Keturah refused to get her photo taken, and the 6 yr old wanted to spread out and needed to feel everything. No ropes or signs said we couldn't touch it so I let them.

Did you know he painted this painting three times? Artists sketch out their paintings before they paint but also start over several times, too. Quite interesting.

When we walked through it again so we could sit down and take in more of Vincent's story, they were actually playing a computer animation videos/modern art that the kids could swirl with and dance around. It's not a great place for those that get seasick, but it feels magical and weird because the projection is also on the floors and multiple screens. There's a few different main areas, too, so the image is like mirrored almost. And then they showed a modern dancer with a cloth doing a modern interpretive dance. It was very neat and soothing at points, too. Abishai liked running around with the others. They were allowed that freedom until the museum opened. The museum staff were very friendly and kind and didn't bother us at all. I'm sure once other visitors joined they would have had to say something but I didn't stick around for that. I was too worried about regular museum etiquette with my own crew.



We did visit one other regular exhibit in the museum which happened to be called "Designs." And it was all about what people thought design meant. Obviously it was more about modern design over function or what you find on an everyday production line. It's one of a kind furniture for rich folk basically. And stuff that the ordinary person usually doesn't find beautiful or interesting.

I did get to show them this upcycled piece of art though. That was fun.

Does this chair work? Is it comfy? Would someone buy It?

What about this one? Or does it need to back to the drawing board?

What about this stool? We thought this one was not very usable.

So the kids worked on a few parts of the design process themselves. Come up with an idea, design it, test it, and if it works great, if not, come back to the drawing board. Of course anything with a screen helps! But I think it did help a bit.




Now, they wouldn't let me go explore any other exhibit, but this was this tiny room with a few artifacts on loan from the Metropolitan Museum of Art and it happened to be Ancient Art. A few pieces from Egypt like a mummy and some vases through some Greek and Roman pieces. I was specifically looking at dates like I normally do and placing them on my timeline in my head because we will be studying ancient history again in the spring.  Of course, I then point out to Abishai especially, this was made during Moses' lifetime. "This was made when..blah, blah, blah...."  And then I got to this piece. This piece was made EXACTLY when Jesus was alive. Like Jesus was literally growing up and preaching when someone decided to make this statue. Usually I can't find something THIS CLOSE to Jesus' lifetime. Typically it's much more vague. How can you NOT be excited! This object right in front of you, was made during the lifetime of JESUS. Sure, it was made in another country. But perhaps they heard about Jesus' preaching in the newspapers and scoffed at him and his teachings. Who knows. But Come on! And when are you ever going to get close to artifcats from the Metropolitan Museum of Art that you seen in lots of NYC movies???????  You kids are nuts. Uncultured. Sheltered. Something! I'm not even an artist or into art that much but I have a great appreciation of it. And I know the important and significance of it. It's because I learned at their age and over my whole life how to connect the dots between history, science, literature, culture, life, theology, philosophy, everything. And I just find it all fascinating. My love for learning and my curiosity is unending. I pray that someday my kids will inherit it. Maybe they are just stuck in their teenageness but once the hormones settle out, they will remember, that God gave them a brain to learn everything about His creation and the history of His people, good, bad, ugly, all of it. So we can use that knowledge to further his kingdom further. By understanding the peoples, culture, science, history of the times past and present, we can help shape the future and advance the kingdom. We can spot the trends and threads in history and see where we are headed and stop it. We don't have to go the way of ancient Egypt, Greece, and Roman, and yet, we are. Why? Because understanding history and connecting the dots over all the subjects is frowned upon and is suppressed because the less the masses know, the more control the government can have. The less that that people truly understand our founding documents, the more the government can do to take away our rights. So, I keep learning. Forever and ever. On every field trip. Even if I've been there before. Teach me more. There's always more to learn.

Modern art again, but quite interesting. Abishai says, "That's no the American flag, Mom." No, not exactly, lol. But it's someone's interpretation. Keturah wrote out a card to put on the wall taht describes what it means to her. I'm not sure what it read though as I had to get Abisahi out of that room.

"Splash Zone" compound...I wonder if that is from a zoo or marine animal show area where they show off orcas or dolphins or from a kids' playground like the splash pads. Who knows!

Here are the self portraits as they were sent to us. Yes. we had to wear masks in the museum. First time in months that I had to wear one and no I didn't protest because the hospitals are full in Indianapolis and I have friends suffering from Covid at the moment.



At our park day in Greenfield, the ducks were active! I think these must be the same ducks who were just babies a few months ago! But how are there white ones? They were definitely fishing and paddling and quacking. Abishai had to go to the bathroom so he didn't stay and watch with me from the bridge for very long. I love duckies. They were taking a nap under their tree when we left 3 hrs later. Simple, part of God's order of things, ducks. Always stop to watch ducks and critters. Squirrels, chipmunks, whatever. Don't get mad at them. They are just living their lives. Bunnies, foxes (even if they eat your chickens, I know, I know), raccoons, wildlife is the best life.



Swimming and eating.



Just some of my favorite kiddos. They know me and they will listen to me if I have to remind them not to do something. And if someone has to leave to do something, we watch each other's kids for each other like we did today. I had an extra kid with me and often times, if a parent can't come, they will have another parent bring the kid anyway to park day. It's so awesome. And the ages range typically from 5-16. And no one fights, or cusses, or talks about nasty things, and there's no racism (although we could use more diversity but we just don't have that in our part of our state/rural Indiana, and when we have had kids of other backgrounds it's not an issue), boys play with girls, girls play with boys, they don't team up against each other. They just goof off and play whatever. They get fresh air and exercise and interact with one another. The best socialization they could possibly get. Freedom from the constraints of a classroom and without certain ideas being forced down their throats. Just kids being kids.  With us parents nearby but we aren't hovering over them listening to their conversations. We let them go down by the creek as a group out of hearing range and sometimes out of sight, too. We know where they are.We let them get scratches. We let them get wet sometimes. Lots of dirt. Lots of sweaty faces. Just awesomeness all around. And we moms. We get the love and encouragement we need at the end of a long week. God usually brings the words we need to here. Sometimes it's serious talk and sometimes it's surface level talk. But it's a break from home. A breather. A refresher. And we get to breathe in fresh air. And stay away from our phones and computers for a few hours. It's my favorite time of the week. No agendas. It is what it is. I pray for and hope that every mom, homeschooler or not, can find a group like this. Whether it's a few public school moms that can chat over a cup of coffee after they drop kids off at school in the morning or homeschool moms that can leave their kids with their spouse and do the same thing on a Saturday or an evening. This is what support looks like. And we all need it.

Aw, two familiar heads. The third one on the far right actually wasn't part of our group. But funny enough I think he asked the other two if they were boyfriend/girlfriend. Justin said no because we, they and us parents, have deliberately talked about their relationship status and they are taking it slow and just getting to know each as friends first. I'm sure Justin felt conflicted with his answer though. Totally cute those two. And totally being obedient and listening to parents and being open and honest. Love them lots.

This dude has some great gaga ball skills! He's going to be a gaga ball champion when he hits middle school!



Abishai took his prized football to park day and did share it very kindly with a girl his age/size and taught her how to kick it. He was so sweet and he melted my heart even from a distance. He's a very gentle and patient teacher. He doesn't get that from me.

I couldn't hear them, which to me meant he was gently teaching this girl, Hannah, part of our group, how to play. At one point, he did tackle her, and put his knee gently on her back just enough to hold her down and she seemed ok with that. They ran up and down the hill many times. Her mom didn't seem phased by it and we just let them be.

A little dude joined them, but I don't think he was with our group. A dad was nearby but he didn't get involved either since they were playing so well together. Abishai got down on the little dude's level and looked him straight in his eye to gently teach him whatever. Again, so adorable and I wish I was half as patient and gentle as Abishai is. I do worry that I am going to ruin Abishai's spirit somehow. I want to do more research into how I can teach him differently and efficiently and keep these shepherding skills. He's so stubborn so when he doesn't want to do something, I can't change his mind. And I don't want him to "win." But when he's in a better mood, he can whiz through anything and he's a gentle soul. So shouting at him and being at him is going to ruin that. I know he's very different and I want to treat him differently like Sally Clarkson had to treat her Nathan differently. I want to do better. Sigh. But it's going to be a learning curve for me. I'll do what I can. Thankfully, being smart means he can progress quickly with less paperwork so I don't feel obligated to force the workbooks on him. I need to learn to skip pages. But my OCD brain won't let me! Ah!

I forgot that I can track Shauna on my phone, so that's what I did in their last two hours of traveling last night. And it was totally a blast! Watch the progression!







Keturah was more excited that the guinea pigs were here than that her cousins were here. Goofball! We went over to Grandma's house to be the welcoming committee. We didn't tell Grandma and Benaiah though. Poor Benaiah. Nice and quiet and then at 8:45pm. Boom! 5 other people storm the house and just a few minutes after that, 3 more people and two guinea pigs. Sorry buddy, we are family!



They're here!

New lights on the parents' house! I like them! Very Millennial!

Ok, ok, I like the guinea pigs, too. I'm an animal lover, ok! Poor piggies though. Such much drama with so much traveling. They need to be left alone for awhile.

The Johnson cousins. They maybe various sizes but you can definitely tell they are related.

Poor Benaiah. Just a few hours ago, this was "his space" where he chills, lays down on the couch, hangs out and plays on his computer, and he was talking to Ava on video chat. Now it's filled with girls, kids, and guinea pigs. Being the oldest cousin, he's sort of used to it, but also sort of not. Sorry bud. At least he took it in stride and had already planned to be out of the house on Saturday doing errands or something. Leah, Shauna and I wanted to keep talking, but Jared wanted to go home because he had gotten up at 5 as usual. Abishai was wired for sound but it was already 9:30. Abishai definitely has his social tank overfilled this week. Maybe that's why he was more willing to do school work later in the week? Hm,.....Oh and the girls hadn't seen his new glasses in person yet and they said he was taller and all the things.....yup, right back at you, girls. #cousins

On Saturday, the kids and Jared finished up the outside chores like mowing and trimming, before it started to pour rain. And then the kids went over to Grandma's house to play board games and watch movies. Eventually, they all came back here and played Minecraft until 9:30pm while Shauna and I talked. That meant that Abishai went to bed really, really late. Jared had gone to Jim's house to hang out with Jim and another few friends. I spent the day working through the backlog of blogging from the week (and now I'm spending Monday typing up Saturday and Sunday's blog for the same reason) and catching up with some reading and listening to videos I wanted to watch about serious stuff and minor emails to write for IAHE, etc., which actually is what my Saturdays are supposed to be. Ah, it's coming back to me now. I was a bit mad because Jared had some e2 stuff to work on because he came home early on Friday to do the outdoor work at Jim's house on the tree while he could when it wasn't raining. And he decided to work on it when it was the kids' normal lunch time. He's supposed to help with all that chaos on Saturdays so I don't get interrupted doing my work like I am during the week and I can be more efficient. Well, it didn't go as smoothly as usual because of his work and because of the cousins and because I was tired and moody. I did try to rest part of the day, too, since the week had been very busy, especially when the kids were at Grandma's house. I know Grandma loved that. I do know that they had popcorn and leftovers for dinner. I also was annoyed about that because no one could make a decision and Justin and Jared wouldn't pry themselves away from whatever to start dinner here on time so I just ate a leftover hamburger and went on with my work leaving them to figure it out for themselves. I had given them an idea and they don't know how to watch the clock and then count backwards to make food in time. Drives me crazy. Yup. But I'm trying to remember I was the one who insisted that Shauna and the girls come up, so I need to adjust my attitude and shut my mouth and enjoy it. I need to adjust my schedule and expectations. That can be a huge struggle some weeks. This is one of those weeks. Deep breathes. Let the kids play. Do work later. Rest and relax. Catch up later. Except for me, because I never catch up fully. Any type of vacation puts me back a week or several weeks depending on the duration. So I have to find the snippets of time to keep things going. And thus, the meltdowns will happen on occasion. So watch out, Mount Mama will explode at some point.



Look, Mom, I made a clothesline!


Pretty timely message.

Listening to the rain fall.


Ages almost 11 and 13, 2021.

Just babies! Ages what, 3 and 4?  So cute!

Minecraft on steroids! Except these peeps are on New Orleans/Memphis time and we are not so Abishai went to bed really late and the others went to bed somewhat late. The morning is going to be ROUGH. But cousins only visit once every so often, so it's worth it.

Sunday was a busy day. Everybody got to where they were going, but I stayed a bit too long on my phone and walked into church DURING the first song. That hasn't happened in years. Whoops! We had lunch as usual and had a decent conversation with Benaiah. And then Jared, Shauna, the kids and I went the apple orchard for a bit. We stopped at Southeastway Park on the way back. The kids played more Minecraft and played outside and we fed them some tacos in between.

Right after dinner, Mount Mama exploded. Not sure Jared understood, but he sat there and listened. I am tired of being called mean and being treated meanly by all my kids. The disobedience, the heavy sighing, the greediness, the hatred, the lack of compassion for me, for siblings, for friends, for the world, everything that I thought we've been teaching them all these years and yet, none of it as sunk in. And I blame myself and Jared. We aren't lovey people. We've done the same thing. We know truth. We know what the Christian checklist is. But we don't have compassion. We might just now have the start of what looks like compassion. But beyond having some cute cuddles with the under 6 yrs old crowd, we don't have compassion for the masses. And it shows. We believe in black and white truth. We are apologists without the hearts behind it. I've focused too much on it. And we've pretty much turned any compassion our kids might have had into the same thing, just "it is this way or else." "My way or the highway." And now it's come back to hurt me. And I can't take it anymore. When your adult kid says, "I will do it the way I want to and you have no say" instead of "This is how I want it, but how would you like it, Mom?" you know you haven't taught them compassion." When the first thing out of a 13 yr old's mouth when you are in public is, "But you haven't helped me buy me online skates mom, so how can I exercise?" instead of patiently waiting for Christmas to come, you know you haven't taught her a) manners to  not bring up that kind of stuff in public and b) patience c) it's not about money (she's paying for it) but not indulging immediate gratification (the skates she was using, that were mine from 25 years ago mind you, broke last week).  When there's no hugs and "I love you's" when family members come and go, you know there's no compassion in your family. When at the dinner table, all you do is gripe about what went wrong that day instead of what went right, you know you have a critical spirit. 

So, I exploded in tears. It depresses me when it's blatant that I have failed. And Jared has been a part of that failing. I desparately want to change it because Abishai is always showing some major changes this year. This week was tough with him refusing to do homework. Can I not have one people pleaser in my house? Just one? Justin is sort of my one, but he's been resisting, too. Compassion and people pleasing are too different things. But, there's an element in common. I thought I was loving my parents by pleasing them. Doing the right thing is an act of love. Right? I guess it's not, because it hasn't show my kids it either. Never mind then. Having compassion means putting others' needs before your own. So if you hate homework, you are still going to do your homework without complaining because Mommy asked you to, or even told you to. Or doing you chore to the fullest extent. Or remembering what time it is. Or calling someone to do the bathroom. Or cleaning up the yard in the way she can't and not saying, "Then do it yourself!" which hurts my feelings each and every time Keturah says it because I totally would do it myself if I could physically do it. It's not about making the time. I cannot crouch down to do yardwork. I have no physical ability to squats. It hurts an insane amount. It makes me cry. And my yard looks like white trash. And it does mean something to me. And no one cares but me. And I think it's unfair that just because they don't care, they don't love me enough to just do it for me while I manage them. Even if I offer to pay them, they won't do it any better. Jared can putter all day in the garage and not a lick of actual wedding will be done. The yard will still look like trash, weedy, uneven, and trashy. He'll go clean up a neighbor's house but won't do ours. He'll leave bottles of pool chemicals out for weeks but then won't take down the pool because no one is using it. And won't even consider a real pool that overall will be way less maintenance for me to do. So, you know what? I might just buy it anyway. We'll see. Thanks for listening.

Then the girls and Justin went over to Grandma's house. The girls will have a sleepover and Justin will head back here at some point. He wanted to play more board games with them. I wanted some peace and quiet and I needed Abishai to go to bed in a quiet house and on time.  Oh, scratch that. Text came in. Justin got offered a couch. He's staying at Grandma's, too. I just knew that was going to happen. Go figure. Whatever. I'm done with the noise. I'm done with my own teenagers right now. They have emotionally and mentally exhausted me in the last few days, especially today. Just go away. Once we all have some changed attitudes, including my own, we can see each other again. And I need some sleep. 

Since I was told there was a bad frost back on Mother's Day, it was already on my list to somehow go apple picking this week. I'm so glad we just went ahead and did it today. Honeycrisp is everyone's favorite in this area, but thankfully, the orchard wasn't terribly busy. We packed our bags in under 10 minutes. We bought some apple slushies, played on the playground a bit, and Shauna bought apple butter for Uncle Aaron. I took my usual photos as well. It's a bit more phone and a lot less whining when cousins go with you. Yeah! Same orchard as most years. Pleasantview (formerly Anderson) Orchard.

Let me at 'em!

Honeycrisp are big apples so it doesn't take as many to fill your bag. Abishai was very eager to do it! The problem is, we aren't huge apple eaters, so we purposefully only bought two of the smallest bags and it's usually too much still.


Yeah for tall children.

I decided to leave this photo in the blog because you can see how long and gorgeous Keturah's hair is right now. Wow.

Everly, who is several inches taller than me now.

Shauna and Nora. Shauna said that one of their friends in New Orleans loves Honeycrisp and they are very expensive down there.

"Mom, did you get your picture already?" - cue eye roll from Keturah.

Nice red ones near the top where the sun got them and where no one else can get them. By the way, we didn't even have to go down half the row that was right out the back of the main barn. The rain on Saturday had kept the visitors away and I guess not a lot of visitors had come out yet because of church and other family gatherings on Sunday yet. Cool! This was opening weekend for U-pick and probably the only weekend for U-pick. They might last the week for U-pick they had told me over FB.

I thought the orchard was going to be more muddy, and although I didn't tell my kids to wear sneakers, they actually all did. The New Orleans people, as usual, wore flip flops. I think they live in flip flops 6 months of the year, lol. I'm glad it was much drier than I had expected. The orchard must have awesome drainage or the ground was that dry that it had soaked it all up overnight.

#nofilter

Small tree for my small(ish) guy.


All three middles were on the swings and it was creaking a ton. They are getting too big for this!

Matching t-shirts because they didn't change after church. They both have KP on front, but Keturah's says worship leader on back and Justin's says volunteer on the back of his. And the colors are different because of their positions, too. And they said this swing was too slow.

Huge honeycrisp apples.

Done to just 3 kids for apple picking photos. I know that my parents stopped going to the orchard the year I went to college because my dad had a stroke that September. Only Stefanie makes an effort to go back. And I only started doing it when Benaiah and I were in MOPS and it was a field trip (and yes, it was this very orchard). So, I guess, I'll just keep going and doing. Benaiah already said he won't be the one to carry on the traditions, which to just outright say it hurts my feelings. But I still have these three to go with and for now, Abishai does like it. Perhaps Abishai and I can come back a few weeks from now and just play and enjoy a slushie together on a quiet weekday.

Nora the Rockstar



Then we went to Southeastway Park to play on the bigger playground since we pass it on the way to the orchard. Swing me high, Daddy!

Wobbly monkey bars.

Even Shauna played on the equipment.

He's way too tall for these things.


Abishai wanted to try to get to the top although he's never done it. And he did! Way to go!

And then Abisahi didn't want to leave. Well, to be fair, we are usually here for 2-3hrs. We were here for 20 minutes. It was a bit warm and Abishai was already exhausted from a late night, early morning, church, cousins, and apple picking. It was after 4pm already. Time to go home, buddy.


Come one down, peeps! Oh, and the park was like 1000% more busy than it usually is on a Friday, morning or afternoon. It was so weird seeing it that busy! But at the same time, so wonderful, too. Almost every shelter and picnic table was being used. Every parking spot was filled. So many families and couples out enjoying the gorgeous Sunday afternoon weather. There was even a sign for a wedding. I'll have to tell our Friday friends how busy it was!

Only 5 more days!


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment