Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Year 2, Day 335-336: Dealing with the Crazies

Yesterday, the 1st of December started out fine, until my feet hit the floor.  Yup, it was that kind of "Momma had a melt down before 9am" kind of day.  But, we moved on and got stuff done because today we are out for most of the day, all 6 of us, in different locations.  I was at a crafting event at Benaiah's school selling Lilla Rose with my friend.  That meant Jared had all 4 kids with him at a Bible Bowl competition.  That meant he didn't get to see many of the 10 games that they play because the audience has to be silent during the game and well, Abishai is clearly not silent.  I guess he lasted a couple of games though.  But, the fun part is that they forgot the diaper bag!  It was right next to the food bag, at least I thought it was easy to see.  Thankfully other kids his age was there, so Jared managed to track down a diaper when that was needed and they managed without his regular routine of water cup, blankie, and paci.  The boys when 5 wins/5 losses today and they didn't do so well on their written tests.  Not the best month but hey, that's life.  Benaiah did get to go up against one of this teammates during an individual tournament and smoked him, so Benaiah was happy.  Keturah wanted to come with me but I wanted her to help entertain Abishai.  This crazy is what happens when I forget how Bible Bowl can intersect with random events like me having a Saturday event and both grandparents are on vacation.  I asked Jared if he wanted me to get a paid babysitter but we didn't come to a definite decision so I never did.  Point is, it was a long day and Abishai didn't have a nap and he was way more wired than normal after church tonight.

We ended up going to church tonight because Keturah had been dropped for the earlier service so she could sing with the children's choir before each service and then have an extra rehearsal during the 4pm service in their regular practice room.  So, she needed to be picked up after she sang at 5:30 service anyway, and since Abishai was not wanting to nap, we went to church tonight.  That meant that Abishai was literally a blur afterwards dashing in between pews and screaming in delight like a maniac.  He really does get punch drunk when he's THAT tired.  It's quite a sight and I hope it continues through college and marriage.  You know in the movies when everyone is passed out because they are so tired or so drunk or whatever and there's that one guy still standing and saying, "Let's hit up another bar!" or "Let's play another round of this game!"  Yeah, that will be Abishai someday.  What a hoot!

The craft fair went fine today.  We stepped out of our comfort zone a few times and made a few sales.  It was kind of weird being in the same building that Benaiah (and Jared) is in for 32 hrs a week. I even had to retrieve a book from his locker for him.  And yes, I definitely trolled him with a note for all to see!  I almost went into my friend's classroom (one of Benaiah's favorite teachers) and wrote a nice note on the chalkboard for her and her classes to see, but refrained.  Too bad Jared doesn't have an office there or locker or something I could leave a note on like I used to in his MCC office.  I would stick them in desk drawers, or in between papers of a notepad so he would find them weeks later. I still do on the occasion that I'm in his office without him. Anyway, they had cookies, Santa, a demonstration by the choir class to entice people to come back next week for their performance, gift wrapping, etc. in the other building.  I think the attendance was relatively low but this was their first Christmas craft fair and there were at least two other craft fairs going on at the same.  One of them was the one we did last year that is right around the corner from me.  It would be nice if they weren't on the same day so I could both.  Anyway, it was a great time and I feel very satisfied with what I did do and learn.

But now I've got massive amounts of paperwork and I have to get the camera ready for next weeks' performances of kiddo #1 and #3.  Benaiah's is on Thursday and Friday, December 7th and 8th, at the school, at 6:30 and then Keturah's is on Sunday, Dec. 10th at 6pm at Indian Creek.  And if I can squeeze it in, we might go see Santa next Saturday in Beech Grove's Christmas event.  Yeah for local events!  Small but mighty!  Promote small and local businesses!  Love it!

That's it!  Time to wrestle with full iClouds and full cameras and full backup CD's to find all the pics I need.  Fun times!

Yes, Abishai got into the ashes.  Justin was sitting on the next near him and didn't get up after he couldn't get my attention.  I was at the other end of the house and didn't hear him.  I had Justin clean it up.  I definitely didn't need to be cleaning that while still blowing my nose a ton.  But I do feel I'm at 90% healed today from my flu/cold.

The end of a 30 year era! No wall phone in the house at the parents; house!  Jared and I had our first conversations over that phone line.  Long distance, sometime an hour long, very costly.  I don't know if they totally got rid of the phone line yet, but it was on the cutting board.  The physical phone finally bit the dust (it had caller ID but that went out a few years ago).  Besides my own childhood phone number, Jared's home number was one of the first phone numbers I memorized.  But it's time.  It's time to get rid of the landline!

The boys got haircuts on Friday in our hair stylists new location!  Here is Abishai's before shot!

After our stylist wet it and before she cut it.  I love his long hair and comb over!

Before shot of big 'un.


After shot.  Much butter looking.  Johnson men don't grow their hair below the ears.  Unless you are curly haired like Uncle Aaron who literally had an afro hairstyle in college when Benaiah was 2 yrs old.  It was very thick curls and I loved it!  But alas, the Johnson men cut their hair really, really short most of the time. 

The "before" shot for Justin.  Playing the part of Frodo.

The kids got bored, and there were no other clients, so they had a huge space to run in for a few minutes.

Jumping off the stool, climbing on the stylists' chair, just being kids.  I love the new salon space though!

Back at home, while I tried to keep up with school, I let Ketruah decorate the tree.  I gave her a couple of rules like no ceramic or breakable ornaments on the left side in case they fall off and hit the stone hearth.  Also, I typically put the non breakables towards the bottom but it doesn't as much with an older toddler and a small tree.  He can reach them all.  She didn't quite finish, so we'll wrap that up this week.

Christmas Craft fair time!

Purple is a very common color now.  My friend has purchased a bunch of things like new folding tables, chairs, the big sign, etc.  I love sharing the costs with her and having someone watch our things so I can use the restroom or retrieve a biology book from big boy's locker.  Benaiah eats lunch in here every day at school.

I didn't mean to have a "tails down" but I tried a different product today and this was the result.  The up do is a little looser than normal which makes me look like I have more hair than I do.  But I'm loving my natural highlights!  I guess I have been outside a lot in the last few months.  Happy, healthy hair for the most part.

Benaiah's choir mates singing us a song.

Trolling the boy's locker.  Bwahahahaha!

Jared likes to phonetically spell the way Abishai said things.  He quoted Abishai for this picture saying ""nee my nacks." (Need my snacks, which there's always some in the diaper bag).
He loved the fact that he had his own lunch box!

See! Lunch bag, diaper bag.  Right next to each other!  Anyway, somehow we've managed to collect enough lunch bags for everyone but Jared to have one.  They have come in very handy for field trips and days like today.

These pictures are from the night before, but yes, he thought his lunch bag was a prized possession.

"I carry it!"

"I guy-it awl! I finish"  (I got it all! I finish!)  Drinking a yogurt.

Jared titled this one, "Arms race. The scoot-age is impressive."  I'm not sure if he's referring to the show they were watching or that the kids were trying to scoot closer to the device.  Abishai is at the top right off the picture.

"I wook-it frier truck one time!"  (I look at it fire truck one time!)  He loves to use the phrase "one time" just like Gary likes to do/say, "One more thing, one more thing, one more thing."  Gary tries to slip in things like one more email before leaving for a meeting.  And that, my friends, is how he squeezes a 36 hr day into 24 hrs.  Efficiency.

Aww, the shoe's sole came off!  These shoes are 12 years old, and for the majority of the time, they sat in a plastic tub in various basements.  I'm not surprised this happened.  Jared is repairing it.  I'm just glad that we have finally got some use out of them.
Kids' Choir sang two of the songs from their musical next week at the beginning of the church services this weekend and then helped sing another new song with the full band and adult choir.  The two songs they sang were really good and I can't wait to hear more next week!  And yes, we have a massive children's choir.  Kindergarten through 5th grade.

Keturah is in the 3rd row from bottom, 2nd from the right.

The second song they sang sounded familiar, like a rendition of Michael W. Smith song or something.  It was hard to pinpoint.


 Here's some videos of tonight's songs, enjoy!

 Kids' Choir Song 1

Kids' Choir Song 2
Singing with the live band and adult choir (not pictured).  The Creek's Instagram account had a nice wide shot of both choir.  It was really neat to see both choirs up there!  I don't know if I've seen that happen before.

Abishai escaped my grip after I picked him up from the nursery and rain into the changing station/cry room.   He found a rocking/bouncing house and this swing.  And before I could stop him, he was in it and swinging.  I know he's small, and a light weight, but he is still over the weight limit on these things.  He looks comfy though.



That's it for now!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment