Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Year 3, February 28th-March 1st, 2018: In Recovery

It's been a slow week.  I've kept Keturah going on her basics, and given Justin a free pass.  In one way, it's been a blessing to almost have March Break come early because I've been feeling the typical homeschool mom burnout.  Abishai has pretty much given up naps last week and this week, and it's thrown me for a loop.  He's one of those preschoolers that gets into everything, pulling it all down off a shelf, dumping it, and going back for more.  Which leads me to the feeling of putting out fires all day long.  I've been recovering from my own physical pain as well, which can make for an explosive combo.  We just need to come with a better strategy for this stage of life I guess.

Meanwhile, the patient is doing better.  He's asked for pain pills a couple of times a time and the type of pain has changed.  Justin has eaten several times each day, although he's not quite up to his normal range of foods, but sticking quite closely to his love of carbs like bread, cereal, and bagels.  He has eaten a bit of meat and veggies, too, and plenty of milk.  So his nausea is pretty much gone.  He was also able to take a bath tonight with some help from Dad.  Yeah!  I had them watch a bit of educational TV, but sitting up is wearisome for him and he has to take breaks.  He also complains of all the loud noises, but that can't be helped.  I hope to get him back to reading by next week.  He's probably not going to go to the Bible Bowl competition on Saturday, not even to watch, because he just can't sit up for long periods of time.  I'm not sure how Sunday will go.  Thank goodness we had no obligations this week, too.

Keturah's been cleaning up her room again.  I don't know how one little girl can let one little room get so messy in like two days!  She misplaced her strap for glasses so she has now been forced to search every nook and cranny of her room.  No fun, but I don't want to spend money on a new one without doing the due diligence of looking for it.  She has also been very helpful to Justin, pouring his milk, or refilling his water bottle.  Abishai, too, wants his playmate back and checks on Justin often.  Benaiah has come home from school and immediately gone to Justin's bedside to see how he's doing.  Grandpa stopped by a couple of times this week, as well as Grandma.  But I think Justin is like me and wants to just be alone to deal with his pain, poor guy.  We go back on Monday to get his arm recasted now that the swelling has gone down.  Should be fun!

This book is much more than a book about food.  You can some principals and apply it to all areas of life.  I will be adding it to our shelves for sure so I can go back through and highlight it.  It's in high demand at the library though because I hadn't finished it and I couldn't renew it, but will pay the fine for keeping it for 2 extra days.

Librarians love homeschoolers!  I think this only covers 3 weeks worth of lessons, lol!  The start of the Roman Empire and the Great Wall of China.

We got outside yesterday so Justin could rest peacefully.  Abishai played hide and seek.

Except I could see him the whole time!

I told her she had to come outside.  She brought a book, just like her Mommy would.

He put himself in jail!
We invented a new game!  Complete with helmets, a ball, and paddles to push the ball around with.

We played keep away and he loved it!  He was the one to come up with putting it in his helmet!

Adorable!  I had to convince him NOT to wear his jammie pants outside because if they got dirty, he couldn't wear them to bed.  Also, he kept wanting to change his shirt as soon as he wiped his runny nose on it.  He doesn't like to have a dirty shirt!
Jumpy, jump, jump!

Don't find me!

Grandma and Abishai were playing with sand outside the sand box.  Cute, but messy!

Benaiah had the best scores in his class for this big model of a bunk house for Mice and Men!  Way to go!  He's welcome that a) we did do a couple of projects together so he knew a little bit and b) I didn't make him do these types of projects often because he hates them.  A++ is impressive!

Bucket on head with gun at the ready.  Justin, come play with me!

Always....getting...into...something!!!

I trapped the crazy one!  Sort of, it lasted a minute.  I really do want to use this as a time out spot or "quiet time without using electronics" spot.  We'll see.

Grandpa bought Justin this humongous mint chocolate chip cupcake that was the size of 4 cupcakes!  So we split it in 4th's so each kid got some.

We have a mama and papa mallard ducks in our yard!  I hope they lay eggs under that bush!  Sweet!

Duckies like on my blankie!

Abishai and I were playing games and he put the characters from one game in the path of the hungry hippo and the hippo ate them!  Oh the joys of boys!

Justin briefly tried to play video games but he just couldn't get his left fingers to work right.  Bummers!

The next 3 picture were taken on Leah's camera.  She is graciously letting me borrow it for the Newsboys United concert coming up this month.  They don't allow cameras with detachable lenses at the concerts, and I wanted something more than my cell phone to take pictures with.  It feels strange in my hand because it's so much smaller and has so little features and settings.  I was able to quickly figure it out though, so that's a plus.  The quality here isn't too bad.

Abishai gathered some tools together so he could "work" on his bike.  He even brought over the micro machine car parts tool kit!

Playing Minecraft together before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment