Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Year 3, March 2nd-3rd, 2018: The End of the Break

Today, Saturday, March 3rd, is the end of the quiet week after Justin broke his arm last Sunday.  Well, quiet except for Bible Bowl competition, but that doesn't require a lot of me personally, and Justin stayed home with Keturah and Abishai, with Grandma watching all 3 of them, and they had a quiet day.  Jared was off with Gary to Kentucky for an e2 conference.  That left us with a quiet day yesterday and me taking Benaiah to Bible Bowl.  He was on Team 2 in Division 2 and they had 3 wins, and 7 losses.  I was somewhat productive on my very frustrating crosstitch project (too many colors and now too many mistakes, but those parts are redeemable) while I listened to their games.  The Henrys all scored in the top 20 on the written test of course.  Team 1 in Division 1 did ok, but didn't get a trophy either.  In fact, they only had two people on their team and technically, there was too many registered for team 2, so somehow, virtually placing Justin on Team 1 from Team 2 made everything even out.  So, I guess Justin played on Team 1 today, lol!  When actually, he was home in his bed.  It was SOOOO cold at the Victory Church in Franklin, IN, that I had to seek out windowsills where the sun was shining in in order to warm up!  Benaiah's team does get along for the most part, but what I don't understand is the jockeying for social position, either one upping each other, or degrading themselves to the point of being proud about it.  I have never understood it, and never will.  Anyway, at least I got out of the house today.

Abishai was already stir crazy when I got home.  He has officially given up on naps, so the hours between 4pm and 6 pm are tough ones, and I walked right into that time period after Bible Bowl.  We have started to adjust our expectations and routines around this new development, but will really put it to the test next week when we get back into a full schedule of school.  Justin is very unhappy about it, but I keep telling him that other kids with injuries go back to school within a week and do just fine.  We did get him to sit up and in the living room away from his bed for a couple of hours today.  He'll get up to eat and such, too.  He's just super annoyed at the cast, the soreness, the sling (he called it a dog collar/leash), and not being to do anything.  Therefore, he's not coping very well and is teary eyed a good part of the day, especially if Abishai comes zooming by making a lot of noise.  I told him to go lay down on Benaiah's bed and close the door if he can't stand the chaos, because I understand the concept of wanting to hide when you're hurting, but he hasn't done that yet.  We are hoping to get him to church in the morning and his small group tomorrow night.  He is still getting a couple of half doses of pain medication a day, but I make him tough it out as long as he can stand.  I guess I've lived with pain for so long, that I don't have much sympathy for others in temproary pain, and forget that he hasn't learned to cope yet.  Maybe after this ordeal, he will have those coping skills a little bit.

Meanwhile, Benaiah worked on a bunch of homework, and Keturah and I kept Abishai busy until Daddy came home.  Tomorrow will be a full Sunday and Monday, Justin has a recheck/redo on his cast at the outpatient clinic.  Fun times!  He also received 3 get well cards in the mail this week, too.  Yeah!  And several people of asked me for updates via social media.  We are loved, that's for sure.

Abishai had me up early, so we got to see this beautiful moon looking toward the west while the sun rose on the other side of the house.

Mr. Monkey playing with my foam roller.  I'm letting him carefully use it for fun, but not as a weapon and as soon as he starts even thinking about picking at it, I'll be taking it away.  It's pretty expensive.  But he loves it and it helps him to work out his energy.

This child! 45 degrees F outside and he thinks it's hilarious to be out there in only a diaper.  In fact, he did this funky dance and laughed about it!  Then, he took his little cars out there to play with!

I convinced him to put on clothes and then I stayed nearby inside while he played with his cars outside.

He played and played for like 30 minutes!

Lining up the cars.

45 degrees F!  You are such a Canadian!


Then he decided he was a bit cold, so he came inside and played on the door step.  Yes, we lost some heat, so we didn't stay there too long, but it was still adorable!

Big brother checking on the patient, which he does a couple of times a day.  Benaiah, despite having his moments of tension towards his siblings sometimes, does concern himself with their well being.

Several big things in the last couple of days! Abishai desperately wanted to get on the tire swing all by himself, so he worked and worked at it!

Baby butt!

The dog hadn't been brushed in a week.  I'm not sure if he had been brushed well enough before that.  It was still a chilly 50 degrees, but at least I could do this outside.  Abishai loved the idea of driving his bike through the dog hair.

And up he goes!  Yes, after a few minutes, this little guy did it!  He is full of initiative, problem solving skills, and determination!

And he got stuck on the way out, poor thing.

Justin received several cards in the mail.  This one is from his cousin Everly, who also wrote Keturah a letter.

I include this only for me to remember that Billy Graham's funeral was this week.  This was taken on Monday when his casket lay in the rotanda at the White House.  They had a 30 minute ceremony with both the Speaker of the House and the Senate, as well as President Trump, giving tribute.  They also laid 3 wreaths as well.  Michael W. Smith was invited to sing "Just As I Am."  He also got to sing at Billy Graham's actual funeral service on Wednesday, which was held at the Billy Graham library under a huge tent.  Several Christian music artists, as well as well known speakers, attended the funeral.  I haven't watched it myself, but I'm sure it was wonderful.  This is one of those things where we should remember where we were when Billy Graham passed away.  I just wanted to take note for the kids because it has been a very moving and powerful experience for me to see all the different video clips and tributes being done via social media this past week and a half.  I don't have any personal experience with Billy Graham and I didn't watch him on TV or anything, but he's an important historical figure to know about and appreciate.  In fact, he is listed on our Classical Conversations memory cards THIS week, what a coincidence! (Or is it?)

Benaiah was ready for a nap before the day even began.

Lunch time zoning out, and tuning out certain people.

Doing their Bible Bowl thing.  Four kids on his team, Benaiah, Emma, Jordan and Brody.  Emma gave the devotional this morning and did an excellent job!  I'm very impressed!

Trying to capture some warmth from the sunny windows!

Look what truck we passed on the way home!  I probably order from Amazon Prime twice a month!  I usually have a list going and then when the paycheck hits or I have $70 worth, I click "buy."  Everything from supplements to printer ink, to odds and ends like birthday supplies, books sometimes, even food items.  I believe we are near a distribution facility (maybe in KY?) so we really do get most things through Prime and 2 day free shipping.  It's worth the yearly fee of $100, especially when you factor in the time and money spent on gas to go to 20 stores hoping that 1 thing you want is there.  This is so much easier!

Booger child!  I left a package of jelly beans on the counter and walked away.  Well, Abishai went and got the BIG kitchen scissors from the door (he can reach up and into the top drawers of the bottom cabinets) and used them on this jelly bean bag!  He managed to cut two jelly bean sized holes in the middle there where you see his tiny little fingers fishing out jelly beans.  THIS is why I'm exhausted and frustrated by 4 pm.  I have to constantly watch him!  He pulls chairs over to climb and get at things, too!

And then there's this story, not 30 minutes later.  I let him outside barefoot, despite it being chilly, just to give me a few minutes to breathe.  I left the door open a crack and was watching him while I put things away.  Well, I thought I heard him come in so I went and closed the door.  But then I didn't hear him.  So I checked outside.  Sure enough, he was outside, standing on the poop pile in the back corner of the yard, talking to the neighbor's dog!  Well, I thought, oh no, he's standing in poop with his bare feet!  Ah!  I go to retrieve him and find out he had put his own shoes on!  He must have come in, put them on, and went back out before I had closed the door!  Stinker!  No one has showed him how to put them on, but he's watched us do it of course.  See, if he wants something, he'll just go and do it.  He didn't put on socks, but that's ok.  I was just super thankful he wasn't standing in poop with his bare feet!  Ewww!!!

The caption says it all.  Because Justin didn't come with us to Bible Bowl, I wore his tshirt today!

See!  The little guy made these holes in the jelly bean bag!

These two holes with THESE scissors!  I'll have to find a new spot for them!

Cutie on a foam roller waiting on Daddy to get home!

This blurry photo is a great representation of Abishai's personality.  He's gone in a blur!  Always moving!

They were playing a hilarious game of red light/green light and Abishai would fall backwards no matter what Keturah said.  Abishai was in his very tired, stir crazy, everything is hilarious mood.  I'm glad Jared got home earlier than expected because phew, I didn't know what to do with Abishai next!

No comments:

Post a Comment