Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Year 3, April 15th-16th, 2018: Partying All Day

Phew, another Sunday is in the books!  This one included a birthday party and a homeschooling meeting, on top of regular church, youth group, and choir.  And this week has us going places every single day.  But what did the weather decide to do?  Turn bitter cold and snowy, again!  This is crazy!  No wonder us with chronic pain issues or migraine issues are in a lot of pain this spring.  This back and forth weather really does affect those illnesses.  And no, the cold doesn't affect the allergies, which are off the charts!  But, we take our essential oils, OTC meds, and move through it.  And even move through it while leaving my phone home all by itself for 3 hrs and neither it or I got hurt, lol!  I did keep reaching for it because I needed to see what time it was or wanted to remind Jared to pick up Keturah via a text, but had to do both the old fashioned way, lol.  Anyway, I survived.

Monday we tried to fit in some schooling and business things, and then I had an evaluation for physical therapy for my left shoulder/neck/back pain that is more painful than the my baseline fibromyalgia pain.  Thankfully, there's nothing majorly mechanically wrong with it that the PT culd see, but we will work on some exercises to strengthen that area.  I'm going to work really hard at these exercises so I can make some improvement quickly so it doesn't cost as much since we pay out of pocket for most things now.  Jared and I are on Medishare, which is a Christian medical bill sharing type thing and it doesn't cover alot of things.  So, I will still after find ways to pay for any doctor visit and apply for aid just like I have for the last 15 plus years.  No biggie, just as long as I get what I need.  The therapist was nice and listened well.  For the locals, it is through IU Health because we are going through the Barrington Health Center, which is basically the poor man's clinic.  I've used WIC and other government facilities and programs before, and so did my parents, so it doesn't bother me.  I know what I need and can usually circumvent whatever I need to and ask the right questions to get my answers.  I would still like to go back to my other osteopath at some point (the one that moved away), but we did make some major changes, and I'm still sort of adjusting to those and working on other treatment methods.  Pain sucks.  And there's no cure.  And it's so frustrating sometimes, and does send me into tears because I can't do what I really want to do at the pace I want to.  But I'm always reminded that my kids don't need to be going at a faster pace.  We don't need one more field trip (this week is an exception).  My kids have learned to be independent because I can't do it all.  I know this, and yet, I still weep sometimes because I want to be better at everything in life.  I know that God allowed fibromyalgia to take over so I would slow down.  But, it still sucks.  And it costs money and time to treat.  And I have to give up certain things just so I can feel better.  I may look like I have it all under control, but I most certainly don't.  I do manage household and people well at times, but, again, it comes at a cost.  I'm such a type A personality, perfectionist, pharisee/hyprocrite sometimes, rule follower, black and white, no grace, knowledge lover, always learning, go getter, push too hard, etc. etc.  I try and I try and I try.  But I'm not enough, and I'm still learning that and that God is the only one that is enough.

Sidenote: "Reckless Love" is currently really popular among worship leaders right now and not only does Michael W. Smith has it on his new worship album, but other artists are covering it in their song sets in concerts and on Instagram, and churches everywhere are using it, BUT, even Justin Beiber, yes, that 20 something Canadian that hasn't had the best lifestyle has a mainstream pop singer, sang it and posted it on social media.  Crazy!  It sounds likes God has a hold of Mr. Beiber's heart, so maybe he'll clean up his act, but at the same time, how cool is it that God is using Mr. Beiber to reach the unchurched.  Just like God uses Sadie Robertson and Candance Cameron Bure, who constantly share on their social media platforms, their love for God.  Anyway, pop culture, LOVE it!  Oh, and "I Can Only Imagine" a song by Bart Miller 15 years ago, which is now a mainstream movie, has surprised75 million in domestic box office sales and has earned more than 5 top Academy Award WINNERS!!  The movie is unpologetically Christian, put out by a Christian movie company, specifically sharing the gospel and redemption story of Mr. Miller's father.  There is so much awful stuff coming from Hollywood and mainstream media, so when something like this happens, which it is happening more frequently, what an incredible victory!  It makes me so happy!  But I digress....

Back to real life....appointment with PT, and then out to Chicago's Pizza for a fundraiser for Benaiah's school. Great pizza, fun converstion with Grandparents.  We left the diaper bag there and had to go retrieve it AFTER we were halfway to Staples for ink.  Eeek!  Then home for lots of boy wrestling, and preparing for the symphony with the middles tomorrow!  I have no idea what to expect at the symphony except that I know it will probably be a shorter show geared towards the attention span of school kids, mine included.  It's a field trip with other homeschoolers and we have to go downtown to the circle, so that should be fun in this bitterly cold weather.  Hm,....and Abishai gets to have a playdate with another friend who babysits little ones at home.  1 day done for the week, 4 (or 5 if you include Saturday's activities or 6 if you include a normal Sunday), days to go!

Party time!  Ms. Lauren had her party at the Franklin Road Library Branch! How neat to have this big room and relatively quiet space to hold a party!  Abby, her mom, was in my dorm when I attended Indiana Wesleyan 19 years ago.  But we hadn't talked since then until we met up at church a year ago.  Lauren just turned 4, so there is an age difference, but how cool!  They had simple games like ring toss and bean bag toss using these flower pots screwed down onto the board.

We also made owls that went along with Lauren's theme.  Abishai immediately called them "Ollie" because Ollie is the owl that does the Bible story at church on the DVD part of the lesson.  Awww!!!!

Keturah's always up for a craft!  Keturah went with Abishai and I and the boys went with Jared to church because the party overlapped with their duties at church.


Oh goodness!  Abishai as a merman? I love how he likes to participate in everything though!


We had just eaten a big lunch with Grandma at El Rodeo, our favorite American Mexican restaurant because of location, price, and really fast service.  Abishai had polished off a big plate of fries and chicken nuggets and then proceeded to eat more food at the party.  He sure is growing a lot if he needs all that food!  I was so full from lunch that I didn't even eat dinner!

Lauren's Grandma made this beautiful rainbow cake!  Yum!

Abishai seemed to understand that the gifts were for Lauren, but he was still curious.  Lauren is precious and a little bossy, but in a gentle way, telling the kids to do this or that, and watching out for them.  Her parents are doing a great job with her!

Keturah was kind enough to help put Lauren's new basket on her new bike for her! 

We stopped in at the library itself to see if we had anything to pick up.  Abishai of course wanted to play with the blocks.

So,...this is happening!  Benaiah is preparing for his driver's permit test, and I got us signed up to receive emails for PSAT/SAT/ACT testing.  I didn't wait for him to do it because it's way too important to me to make sure this is done right.  And he seemed to be ok with it when I told him that I signed us up today.  I know some parents let their kids figure this out and I want to let him have a say in it, but at the same time, it's just too important to mess around with.  I'm hoping that he'll take the PSAT in October and sit for the SAT in December.  That way he has a few more chances in the spring for the SAT if he needs it.  There's not as many locations and dates for the ACT, but he's going to take that, too.  I scored higher on the ACT and got more scholarships from it, so I think both tests are needed.  And of course the PSAT also gets you in the running for scholarships.  Benaiah also talked with Mr. Nanney today about taking dual credit courses through Lincoln Christian University (or College to some of us older folks) for Bible and English classes next year as a Junior.  So, this is really happening!  We have reached this stage that I've been looking forward to for years!  Ahhhh!!!!  And before you know it, he'll be off to college.  And then it'll be Justin's turn, and Keturah's.  At least we have a lot longer yet with Abishai, who is still in diapers, lol.  4th kid, yup, we'll get around to it.

Indiana has the craziest weather!  Snow flurries on April 16th, 2018.  And it snowed like this most of the day.  But it didn't accumulate to much and soon melted.  Lots of people are complaining about it, however, I see nothing wrong with snow and spring being in the same sentence.  It's normal to me.  My body hates the back and forth, but what can I do?  Take pictures and enjoy it!


Flowering magnolia with snow on the ground this morning.

Same picture, different angle, taken by Abby.


Don't know why I wanted to do this, but I decided to stop by Dunkin' Donuts on the way home from PT.  I had called beforehand and made sure they had alternative milk, and they had almond milk, yeah!  But when I got in the car, it hit me.  On April 29th, it will have been 8 years since my mom went to Heaven.  And getting a coffee at Dunkin' Donuts was a very special treat she would have maybe a handful of times a year.  Just like Tim Horton's means a lot to the J6, Dunkin's meant a lot to my mom (and dad) and I know my sister Stefanie also loves Dunkin's.  And I didn't see it until after I had ordered, but they do have flavor shots, including raspberry, so I'll ask for that next time.  I just ordered a plain coffee this time.  So, here's some cheers to my mom in remembrance of losing her 8 years ago!  I love you, Mom!

Ugh!  Also on my way home, the train that goes through Southport was stopped blocking many of the roads I would usually take to get home from Greenwood.  I had to go all the way up to Hanna Ave. to get in front of it.  My alma mater, UIndy, is on Hanna, so I got to drive right through campus just like I used to 5 days a week for 2 years.  I remember sitting in this very parking lot in my car in between my classes feeling quite ill, despite eating the peanut butter and jelly sandwhich I had brought.  And you know why I felt ill?  Because I had morning sickness with Benaiah's pregnancy!  And that building to the right is where I would workout between classes in order to lose the pregnancy weight.  I don't remember many faces from those two years and I don't have any friendships from there like I did when I lived on campus at Indiana Wesleyan, but I remember a few of my professors and classes and it was definitely a great private school.  Beautiful campus with easy access to everything Indianapolis.  Decent sports and lots of different degrees to choose from.  I should take advantage of their performing arts more often though.  Oh yeah!  AND I remember how I was in class on 9/11 and all that.  I was also thinking as I drove past, "How many people get to live within 15 minutes of their alma mater?"  Not many.  Ok, maybe if you have attended IUPUI or Butler (which are also in Indianapolis).  So I got to travel the same roads I used to travel all those days to and from school.  And I had just done that last week, too!  I love revisiting the past and seeing how far we've come, and how it helps us shape our future.  Sigh.  Good stuff!

Little man knows how to turn on and off the PS4 and TV all by himself!  Crazy!

Yes, we are that family that has learned not to sweat the small stuff and lets the preschooler wiggle around in the booth at Chicago's pizza.  He's been cooped up all day, what do you expect?  And isn't he such a darling?

That winning smile!

Abishai the blur.  Getting the big brother who is trying to stop him from escaping.  We even took him over to the other part of the restaurant, Redline frozen yogurt, so he could see the trains.  He was just wired!  He asked for lemonade and ate 3 small pieces of pizza!  Yikes!  I had a delicious gluten free Hawaiian pizza!  The cheese will bother me later, but I don't care.  We brought 1/2 of it home for lunch tomorrow.
Abishai had picked up on so much from his TV shows.  He knows how to use the police radio!  So cute!

Yes, proud mama here! Benaiah won't be playing on Sunday, but he gets to rehearse with the MAIN STAGE BAND!  It's like hitting the major leagues of any sports!  Oh my word!  This previously homeschooled, self taught drummer gets to be with the big dogs now.  Unbelievable!  I never thought anything would come of his drumming.  We didn't get him lessons or a drum kit because he had been trying out new things for a month or two and then the excitement would fade away.  So, we got him a drum book, he was given a rubber practice head from a friend on PEI, and he purchased some sticks.  Plus we told him to watch YouTube videos.  And with all the skills he has learned behind the scenes on the tech team, this kid is going to be in high demand when he eventually graduates college.  Wait, he's going to be in high demand in high school, too.  And this has nothing to do with being the pastor's grandson.  Benaiah has worked hard and has been teachable and has earned the place he has now.  He's been very patient, too.  I can't wait to see what God has in store for him next!

When we got home from Chicago's Pizza, we had a bunch a mail.  And what was in the mail?  Oh, just a Christmas card from the Strunks!  Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!  Legit, we see them at least twice a week at church and we live less than 2 miles away from each other.  In fact, they pass our house on the way to church all the time.  So, 4 months after Christmas, this card finally gets mailed.  Seriously?!  They could have just dropped it off anytime Ethan has spent the night.  Anyway, what a funny surprise!  We also got an invite from them for their oldest's graduation open house.  And so it begins....we have entered that stage of kids leaving the nest.  Jeepers!

Nice packaging, but these expansion packs are birthday gifts and whoops, one of the kids saw the package!  Oh well, hopefully he'll forget them before his birthday.
Boys most wrestle and fight.  Period.  It's how they relate.

Benaiah's lazy and just lays there on the coach giggling like a little girl (and yet he's going to be on the big stage!).  Abishai has a gun and a light saber.  The joys of boys.


Abishai loves when the other person pretends they are dead.  And Abishai makes a pretty good death scene, too.

Father and Son standoff.  Father one because son is too wimpy/scared/ticklish, etc.
Onward to hear some pretty music....

No comments:

Post a Comment