Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Monday, April 30, 2018

Year 3, April 29th, 2018: Passing the Baton

So, this happened today: Gary announced 3 things, and please get this correct when you share:

He compared it to going on vacation.  You have to figure out when, where, and what you are going to do.  So, here is the breakdown.

When: He will retire from full time ministry at the Creek on April 28th, 2019.

What: Gary and Leah will stay in their home and stay at their Creek for the forseeable future.  They are NOT moving and they are NOT switching churches.

What: Gary will move into full time ministry with e2: Effective Elders, the ministry he founded with two other guys and Jared is office manager (or whatever title it is) of.  The office is located at the Creek but is it's on separate 501(c)3.

So, there you have it.  It's done.  Pass on the correct details PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Here's the link to the full video I took today during the 11am service.  They plan on putting up a clean, in the office version on the website soon.  Gary Announces His Retirement

Meanwhile, today marks the 8th year of my mother's passing into Heaven.  I wasn't very emotional about it today because I knew it was coming and I was more focused on Gary's announcement, which we of course knew ahead of time by a couple of weeks.  And as of last week, it has been 2 years since that awful day when we were told we would be leaving Canada.  That still stings, but the sting is a little less every day.  I still cry often for my friendships there.  I miss them a ton.  But we have moved into ministry here and we are enjoying life here more and more.  I'm still leery about how long this will last.  But I'm trying to make the most of it.  Here are some thoughts I shared on social media today.









 Otherwise, it was a normal, busy Sunday.  I finally caught up on the blogs, too, and just in time as we need to focus on school early in the week, as well as some home office stuff, before Benaiah has prom on Thursday and I have a concert on Friday.  Then it's the final Bible Bowl competition on Saturday, and Sunday brings church, annual meetings, church again, bridal shower, movie night for Keturah, etc. etc. It's incredibly full and some of us have had to say no to some events because we just can't do it all.  I'm excited for the bridal shower because I don't get to go many of those and it's for a friend's daughter who I am known somewhat from afar in the last few years, but I've known the family for 16 years I think.  I love to love on the younger ones like in Titus 2, so I'm honored.  But before that, I have my final concert for the year before I button down the financial hatches and quit spending so much.  Michael W. Smith of course, gold circle, and it's going to be blast with one of my best friends and concert buddies.  More on that next week.

Look, I made a sandwhich!

Whoops! Kind of ironic it was on a day like today.  It was a stray entry because I did have it on my calendar where it would repeat itself.  Weird.

PEI for the win today.  I wear jewelry, especially my hair jewelry for specific purposes.  Today, I needed a PEI reminder.

Excellent sermon on marriage.  Go the thecreek.org this week and download it!  We've been following these principles for many years.  Finally, a sermon where I don't feel so guilty!  Just kidding, but it was good to know we've been on the right track.

Yeah, stupid phone can't make up it's mind with the church's lighting, but it was an important day today.  Gary used the runners' baton he is to almost pass the baton to Dan but then took it back because it's not time, yet.  He also plugged that there is an appendix to Leadershift, which is the book he wrote on succession and then put the principles into place 2 years or so ago, that is Dan telling his side of the story as they conclude this journey together.  I'm so proud of Gary (and Dan) for making this transition painless when I've seen so many churches, colleges, and ministries split or lose their influence in the community and thus their attendance goes down over losing their senior minister.  And I'm glad that we've been here for this.  When Gary retires, he will have been with the Creek for over 29 years! That's unheard of in ministry!  That's unheard of in any workplace!  It's really special and important to us.  I'm so glad that the congregation has embraced this process with open arms.  It's awesome to be part of a healthy church.

My sister purchased this in honor of my mom today.  Isn't it sweet?

Ministry wears out the minister's family.  Precious baby of mine who will be getting his permit in two months, and getting a job, and taking dual credit classes in the fall, and taking his SAT/ACT tests in the fall, and applying to colleges.  104 weeks to go with this one!  He said he had an awesome nap, too.  He deserves it when he's at church from 7am to 12:30pm and then 3pm to 8pm.  Following in those big shoes of his Great Grandpa Cook, Grandpa Johnson, and his own Daddy.  I'm proud of this one, too, can you tell?  All the while counseling his friends in their relationships.  My heart is full.


No comments:

Post a Comment