Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Monday, September 10, 2018

Year 3, September 3rd, 2018: Labor Day Weekend, Part 5, Back to Reality Land

Hm, I'm not sure if you can call spending 9.25 hrs in a vehicle laboring, but the flurry of activity before and after the trip was. Gary, Leah, and Benaiah took off at about 7:15am because Benaiah had to work today. He didn't make the connection that we wouldn't be home on Labor Day and he would need to ask off from work. I was mad at both of us for forgetting because we didn't get a family picture done and we couldn't experience Muskegon or Holland together. I was more than a little bummed, to be honest. But whatever. Justin and Keturah woke up on time, but Jared, Abishai and I didn't stir until 8am and then Jared and I snoozed for another 45 minutes or so. That means we had to hurry up if we were going to leave by 11am. We had all day but wanted to stop a few places. It was not the way I wanted us to leave, but again, whatever, it happened. Jared cooked up a hearty breakfast for the kids while I packed. Then we all brought the bags up the huge flight of stone steps to the van. We left about 11:15.

Then we stopped in Gary's hometown of Muskegon, where a lot of his family still lives, to see Jared's cousin Donna, Willie and their daughter Josephine, who is 20 months now I think. It was very, very humid and muggy, and even drizzly, but the kids got to play on a playground at the beach and put their feet in Lake Michigan's waters again. Who else can say that they have touched both side of Lake Michigan in the same summer? We saw the lighthouse, too, although we didn't walk down the pier. The story goes that when Gary and Leah were dating, in the winter when the edges of the lake were frozen, Leah stepped on the ice and her foot broke through it! I'm not sure how much of her went in, but how's that for a dating story from over 40 years ago? Donna, Willie and Josephine couldn't join us at the cottage because Donna had to work and Willie took Josephine to their cabin and property from his family about an hour or so north of the cottage. They got back to Muskegon about the same time we did, but then Willie had to check on something at work. He's a foreman and works with the heavy equipment, the kind that Abishai loves, so it was fun to talk to him about it. Donna is a respiratory nurse at the local hospital so she was on duty over the weekend. They are great parents and Josephine is a very outgoing, bold little lady and is almost as tall as Abishai and weighs more than him! Josephine was my mom's middle name and it's neat to hear Abishai say it, too. After meeting them at the beach, we had lunch with them at Wendy's. This time, the Wendy's wasn't cold, the pop machine worked great, but the floor were super slick. Oh well, can't win them all. Willie joined us for lunch.

Then we were on our way just another 45 minutes south to where Benaiah and the youth group go for CIY! Gary and Leah took a detour on the way home to let Benaiah get something at his favorite coffee shop right on the edge of Hope College's campus in downtown Holland, Michigan. Boy do I keep messing up the names! There is a Holland College on PEI, which is where Lucy Laud Montgomery went to school, so keep putting Holland, MI together with Hope College and coming out with Holland College. I even took a picture of the wrong sign! Anyway, Lemonjello's is the name of the coffee shop and you don't pronounce it like lemon jello. It's le-mon (the regular short O sound, not the o sounding like an I). Think Italian sounding. They were super, duper busy and only one barista was actually making the drink so it took about 15 minutes. I got the 12 oz chocolate blackberry latte made with coconut milk and it cost almost $5. They name some of their lattes and that one was called “invincible.” I was feeling so out of place though because 99% of the customers were college students with 1% being an older couple that looked that parents of a college student. Granted, this cafe is in the downtown area of Holland, too, but still. I felt so out of place. I felt old and I felt that all the students were too young to be at college. We then drove through the college campus and I thought I saw the sidewalk where Gary and Benaiah have taken their famous picture of them walking down the sidewalk with the camera behind them, but alas, I was wrong. We did see the dorms and main audtiroium buildings though, and like I said, we drove through the downtown area where the kids would walk to get to a park on Lake Michigan to see fireworks on the 4th of July. Justin gets to go with Grandma and Benaiah next summer, so I made sure he was looking around as we drove through.

Then finally, after meandering through back roads, we got back on US-31, and headed home. Who knew that US-31, which is actually the road that Benaiah's school is on, runs all the way up 6-7 hrs (or more?) into Michigan? What we consider a main road in town, so an undivided thoroughfare, is a regular divided 4 lane highway up there. I never realized that before. And it takes us straight through Indianapolis right up to Muskegon and beyond, with no other major highways in between (unless you take the bypasses around some of the cities). One time we stopped for the bathroom, but the gas station didn't seem to be operating, so we went to McDonald's instead. But that was after a big loop the loop that Jared did because he thought he saw one from the highway but didn't use the GPS. Across from that gas station was what looked like an old steam shovel painted to look like the one in Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel and an old little train at steel mill. How cute! We stopped one other time for the bathroom and gas about an hour north of Indianapolis. That means we didn't stop for dinner and the kids were starving by the time we got home. Not the smartest idea, but we just needed to get home.

I made everyone pitch in when we did get home because I have other things to do tonight to prepare for school tomorrow and I'm feeling off, too. But, I'm happy to report, everybody got fed and to bed one time and every lick of the stuff from the trip is put away! And in record time! Now, if the men could just leave me alone to type, that would be fantastic. I'll start chipping away at the rest of the blog stuff tomorrow. I didn't let my phone upload pics and vids on data while we were away, so it needs time to do that first anyway. I did manage to finish my fiction murder mystery novel I started a couple of days ago, though. I think it's the first book I've finished in the last 2 yrs, besides read alouds with the kids. I haven't been into reading or listening to podcasts or reading self help books lately. I think I'm burned out on knowledge for awhile. The book is called “Julius House” by Charlaine Harris. It's about Aurora Teagarden, who is portrayed by Candance Cameron Bure in the TV miniseries by Hallmark. I thought I had ordered the DVD's of these stories, but I guess I ordered the books instead and they have been sitting on my shelf for 6 months. I'm so glad that the library let us renew books indefinitely if someone doesn't need them. There's probably a time limit some time down the road, too. I still have a novel for the kids we didn't finish reading 3 months ago that I keep renewing. Oh well. I don't get fined for it either. Point is, I actually finished a book, even if it's just an easy to read murder mystery novel. Wahoo for me! Jared's not impressed by the genre though and made a comment about how movies and novels always have the same plot lines, which is true, but not everyone wants to read non fiction books, especially if they are teaching non fiction things like history and science every day. Anyway, I finished a book because I didn't have wifi.

And now back to reality land and being overstressed and overworked and overwhelmed. I may have bit a few heads off after I realized that I was going back to reality land. I don't want to go back to being responsible for everything. I'm not ready to start school. I want the first day to be fun and I'm too tired to get it going well, plus we have tons going on with the funeral on Thursday and it being a short week as it is. Ugh. Whoa, Nelly, slow down. It doesn't have to be perfectly fun the first day. We got this. It's not our first rodeo. But I am off to print the “first day of school” signs....or should I change it up this year and write their info on the little easel chalkboard????? Hm.......

Video Playlist:
Labor Day 2018 Day 5 

Benaiah and I thought it would be neat if we stopped at his favorite coffee shop he goes to when he's at CIY in Holland, Michigan near Hope College, but unfortunately, he had to be at work that afternoon and evening, so Grandpa and Grandma drove him back home earlier than the rest of us did.  But, they did make a stop at the coffee shop anyways.  This was at about 8:15 in the morning.  I think he got a tea or fruit flavored thing, not coffee, but that's fine.

Benaiah tackled the highway on the way back from Michigan today! He even drove the big highway 465 that loops around Indianapolis.  Yes, the one that can have 6 lanes on one side.  And, he drove for I think over an hour, which is the longest time he's ever driven before!  He's getting better and I try not to look up, although perhaps I should.  But what can I do help anyway?  Yeah for more drivers in the family.
Super sad face saying good bye to the cottage.  Abishai didn't want to leave.  It was the first time he had put on shoes in 5 days.  He even went to church without shoes on because we couldn't find them in time.  Poor little guy!

There's a light house on Lake Michigan!  We've arrived in Muskegon to meet up with Cousin Donna and Jospehine.  Yeah!

Panoramic view of Lake Michigan at Margaret Drake Elliott Park in Muskegon.  This is the lakefront that Gary grew up with.  This is where Gary and Leah spent some of their date nights before getting married.  And this is the lighthouse where on a winter's date night, Leah stepped onto the ice that had formed on the lake near the walkway to the lighthouse and her foot promptly fell through.  Whoops!  I'm sure there's a bazillion more stories Gary and his brothers could tell about this lakefront and area.

Waves because the storms are still brewing.

Family and the infamous lighthouse in the background.  We didn't get to walk out to the lighthouse because we ended up walking in the other direction and we were limited on time.  The kids loved the water though.  I reminded them that just to the southwest across the lake that feels like an ocean is the beachfront we went to in Chicago a little over a month ago!  Now you've been to both shores of the Lake!  It's maybe 150 miles straight across the lake though, lol.  Point is that it's the SAME body of water!  And it does freeze over.  And there's no jellyfish or salt.  Jared loves it.  I like it, but prefer the real ocean and its' smells.

Meet Josephine, who is on her way to being two!  Man, she grew up fast!  And she's a hefty girl, too, not like my kids.  But boy does she have those pretty blue eyes, fair skin, and light colored baby fine hair.  Definitely can see the Swede in her!  And she's a very, very happy child because she's got great parents!

Sweet!  Abishai didn't know what to do with her when we met up at the playground ON THE BEACH, because she couldn't talk like Clara and needed help on some things.  But Abishai did engage with Donna and tell her stories.

Clouds over the lake.

It's not every day you get to play on a playground at the beach!

The biggest sandbox in the world!  He's in heaven!

Burying feet in the sand is the best!

Keturah's turn.

Michigan born boy leaving footprints on the sand.  Jared was born in Grand Rapids, but they moved to Lincoln when he was 1 yrs old.  But you can't deny your roots.  Same with Abishai.  I bet he will identify with PEI and Canada at some point.  I was born in NH because my parents lived there for a year or two before moving to Massachusetts where my two sisters were born.  We then moved back to NH when my mom was pregnant with my brother, but she kept seeing her OB in Massachusetts, and went down there to deliver him.  I identify most with NH though.

Heading towards the water.

Little boy thought he needed to take off his pants so they wouldn't get wet.

We knew it was chilly and the water was cold so we didn't bother get out swimsuit.  But boy did Abishai want to try it!  He doesn't understand that he just can't strip naked in public.  He still runs around the house without underwear on to come look for me to put them back on him.  It's something we have to work on.

Another nice shot of the family, waves, and lighthouse.  Boy did I wish Benaiah was with us that day.  I was pretty miffed that he and we forgot to ask for time off from his work.  Sigh.  Maybe next year if we come back up for a reunion.
The waves are chasing me, Mommy!

More water!  He was pretty brave for not being around big waves and cold water much.  He wouldn't remember anything we did on PEI beaches, and I'm not sure if he remembers the beach we went to last year at the fancy cottage in north Michigan.

The boys loving the water.

Justin, you don't have to hike up your shorts that far!  Nice tanned legs buddy!

Let me play in the water!  Pweeeaassseeee!!!!

Lighthouse.

Although it was noon, there weren't many people out on the beach.  So, the beachgrooming truck marks were still there.  And lots of little birdie footprints.

Josephine running up to the playground.

I do it myself.

Sliding down the bridge.

And climbing back up with his ever busy big baby feet.

Josephine's turn with that look of, "Mommy, are you coming to help me?"  Johnson/Simila determination?

She's beautiful!

Always bare toes, always working hard.

Look, Mom, I can sit on the slide!

Momma Donna and daughter Josephine.

Walking to the the swings.  It started to drizzle though.  Time to figure out our lunch plans!

She sort of reminds me of Keturah a bit with the round cheeks and fair complexion.

Jungle gym!  Nora and Everly have one of these in their backyard!  They are pretty popular still!

Boing, boing, boing.

Cousins Jared and Donna, with their little people, Josphine next to Jared and Abishai to the right of Donna.

Wow, what a big girl!

My crew always likes to swing.
Whoops, I thought I was taking a picture of the sign for the college, which is HOPE college, not HOLLAND college (which is on PEI).  But it IS the town that the high schoolers come to for CIY.  You wouldn't think that big events come up to these relatively smaller cities, but there's some big arena in Muskegon that a TON of the Christian bands I know have had concerts there.  Either that or in Grand Rapids, too.  And this CIY location is one of the longest running locations and also the largest with CIY using the property for 3 solid weeks!  I'm not sure if any other college campus has it for more than 1 week.  I could be horribly wrong, but from what I know about the midwest ones, that's what I think.  Anyway, this is THE town they come to every year!  All 4 of those big buses from the Creek!  I can't imagine navigating this smallish town with them!

Right on the edge of the campus is a set of train tracks.  This train wasn't too long, but I could imagine having a hard time sleeping with this nearby.

Now, about 7 hours later, I get to see what this place is all about!  It's got a very millennial vibe to it.  99% of the patrons were college students.  I look young, but I've got my mommy physique so I felt very out of place.  Only one person was mixing drinks so it took a good 15 minutes for them to get to mine.  The place was packed and I don't know how anyone could be studying or having a conversation in there.  Yup, pretty typical white girl coffee stuff.

Ta da!  Not the same rug, but close enough!

White girl coffee with mocha, coconut milk, and blackberries called "Invincible."  And, get this, the cup is made from corn and is biodegradable!  I meant to keep the cup to see if it would degrade for us, but accidentally threw it away.  But this coffee shop is very environmentally aware because they even had separate trash cans in the bathroom for trash and compost for the paper towels.  This was very good, but I'm not sure it was $4.50 good.  I think it was a 12 oz coffee.

Yucky thunderstorm we had to drive through in northern Indiana.

Stopped at a gas station and across the street was a steel mill!  I instantly recognized what this was.  It's the steam shovel from Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel, whose name is Mary Anne I believe.  I love that they added the eyes to the bucket like it is in the book (see the book below).

It looks like it's still in operation, too.

Steam engine train like Thomas the Tank Engine.

Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel Mary Anne.  I used this book when I taught in the homeschool co op a couple of years ago, that's why I know it so well.  It's a sweet, sweet story set way, way back maybe in the 30's or 40's?  All the books in his genre like Make Way for Ducklings and the Story about Ping, are awesome classics.  Various authors and I don't know enough about when they were published, but these kinds of books are used a ton in classrooms and homeschools and they are 1,000's of projects you can do with with them, too, like learn about steam engines, learn about how a building is made, learn about team work, etc.  Love it!

Gorgeous clouds back home in Indiana.  And moving fast with that storm we went through.

Open road, but dark clouds.

This can't be good.

Nope.  We drove through the red parts.  Didn't last terribly long but people had their hazard lights on and some stopped under overpasses to let the rain pass.
We saw this poor woman a n hour ago.  This is one of those redneck type of trucks turned into a jeep. No doors, roof, etc. just coolers tied to the back.  I bet she was soaked after this rain!

Where did Justin, go?  Everyone slept a bit.  Because we stopped for so long in Muskegon, we didn't get home until 9 pm.  We left around 11:30 am.  A 5 1/2 hr trip took 9 1/2 hrs.  But Gary and Leah and Benaiah made it in 6 1/2 hrs.  Of course.

This picture doesn't do it justice.

I could hardly put this down!  I did read it all over the weekend with just a couple of hrs at the cottage and the rest of the time being during the car ride home today.   It did have a very interesting twist that I could have never guessed.  I got the book accidentally because I thought I was getting the movie based off of it.  I've watched the movies made from the previous books, so I know a bit about the characters (although who knows if the TV show is that accurate of course).  I think I skipped one book/movie, but that's ok.  I need to read more fiction.  Maybe if I just read fiction for awhile, I could get back into reading in general.  I'm just too busy and nothing seems to hold my attention for long except for stories.  Whereas, the only thing Jared reads and listens to are non fiction books.  I get enough non fiction material from blogs and social media, and sometimes podcasts.  I can't wait to get into read alouds again for home school.

I decided against printing signs and went with this instead. I'll change it for Justin, Abishai, and Benaiah.   A lot of people use a wipeboard or chalkboard, some more elaborate than others.  Not bad for being a last minute idea!  But that's because I've seen 100's of other people's ideas over the last 5-10 years because they all post their kids' first day of school pictures on social media.  Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment