Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Year 4, April 1st, 2019: Folks, This is Not A Joke

No, it isn't an April Fool's Joke, Gary is really transitioning from ministry at Indian Creek Christian Church later this month.  All I can think to say, wow, how did we get here so fast?  I've been part of this for 20 out of the almost 30 years, so I actually have seen a lot of the church's growing up years.  I've watched it grow from 1,700 to 4,000 people on a Sunday.  I've watched the main sanctuary being built, and then the "Black Box."  I wasn't here when they remodeled the Black Box into the Kidustrial Park area.  I've seen countless other updates and total remodels.  Our first kiss was in the church parking lot where the stage is now.....oops, did I say that aloud? Well, it's true!  We also got married in the old, original chapel.  We've been part of every kid ministry now.  We had a funeral service for my mom here.  Jared and I finished growing up here, attending when we could during our college/dating/engagement years.  Anyway, that's OUR history....but what about all the rest of the history....

All the staff members who have come and gone....all the small groups....all the ins and outs of shifting around the leadership.  And most importantly....all the one on one ministry that has happened in and out of these walls.  The Creek is known around our township and beyond.  If we are out and about in our area, it's hard NOT to bump into someone from the church or had been a part of it in the past.  And Gary, along with the elders, has been instrumental in providing the spiritual vision for Indian Creek.  It's going to be really weird to think he won't be "in the know" anymore. Already, he's "out of the loop" because Dan has taken over almost everything now.  This transition has been the smoothest transfer of power I have ever seen, unlike when Jared was told to leave MCC.  Do you know why that is?  Communication.  CLEAR communication.  Purposeful communication.  Direct communication.  Mutual agreement based on civil discussions. Consistent communication.  Frequent communication.  If you have been hearing rumors of Gary retiring from ministry altogether and moving away, then you haven't been listening.  (Boy do I hate the rumor mill!)  It simply isn't true!

Communication.  And that is what has been eating away at me the last three years as we also approach the "anniversary" of being told we were to leave PEI.  I have been so adamant about clear, frequent communication, especially with family members, and I had an aha moment during the prayer event this weekend where I made the connection to where this obsession had started.  It had started because instead of coming to Jared or including him in the discussions about him not fitting their view of the role of president, they discussed it behind close doors, hush hush, and made their decision.  I could have accepted it totally differently if it had been a mutual decision.  And maybe that's just a quirk of mine.  If I know what's coming, I can process it and get through it.  But life isn't like that most of the time, and I get that, too.  The Bible does say to go to that person that you have a quarrel with first.  Then you bring in a few witnesses, go to the elders, and THEN if you can't reach an agreement, that person should be kicked out.  I feel like we skipped a few layers.

So it's now one of many life mantras and goals to keep teaching and refining communication between myself and others, especially with family.  I clearly stated my expectations for Jared at the WitnerJam concert and then he responded appropriately.  When Benaiah confides in me certain things, he's not necessarily asking permission, but he's being helpful to himself and myself by keeping me in the loop and I can help keep him steered in the right direction.  When the kids don't ask me questions about their homework, I can't help them, and then I'm mad that it's not done.  When I don't know when babysitters are out of town, I can't plan around that and then it becomes a frantic set of emails and messages to find someone.  You get the picture.  God talks to his people, clearly and directly, if only they would stop and listen.  He listed out his expectations clearly in the books of the Law and things like the Sermon on the Mount. Don't get me wrong.  I don't like verbally expressing myself all the time.  I do prefer typing.  There are times when Jared or I are giving each other the "silent treatment" and it's so hurtful! So we aren't perfect either.  But boy, after having a couple of rough years with Benaiah and learning how to communicate with him, and between ourselves in relation to that situation, and then being dealt a bitter hand by a gossip saturated culture, proper communication is very important to us, especially me.

So, it's no joke.  Gary is TRANSITIONING to a new job, not retiring, not selling his house, but staying in their small groups and actively participating in ministry just as he always has.  And it's a beautiful thing to watch unfold.  You can still join us (or watch sermons online through their website) at Indian Creek these next four weeks.  In the next three weeks, Gary will preach his last 3 sermons as Lead Servant.  The 4th week, April 28th, is last day as a paid staff member, but he's not preaching.  The open house is on April 27th at Indian Creek Christian Church, Franklin Rd, from 4-7pm.  As Gary said yesterday, he's in his "Final Four" series of sermons.  Imagine cramming all you want to say to your congregation in about 2 hrs and 20 minutes!? What would you say?  Eek! And it felt like we had a lot of extra people at the 11am service yesterday.  I can't imagine what Easter weekend is going to be like.

Of course Easter and the church isn't about Gary, but it's a time to celebrate what God has done through Gary.  And remember how humble Gary is and how he has worked hard to perfect his skills in clearly communicating the gospel to many around the world, and training leaders to do the same.  I'm so grateful to be a part of it (well, most of the time, lol.)

I can't wait to celebrate with everyone this month!  Lots of out of town guests are coming! Lots of regular life to live! Easter! Ah!  Crazy fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment