Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Monday, July 26, 2021

Year 6, July 23rd - 24th, 2021: Water, Water, and More Water, Because It's HOT!

 Well this Friday was quite different than other Fridays. First of all, I only have one video and one screenshot to show you. I was quite distracted because at park day, we moved tables 3 times. We played on the playground for a little while, then Abishai wanted to play in the splash pad so I went back to the car to get his bathing suit. Keturah stayed in the car for the whole time of 2 hrs at the Blue River Memorial Park. And then he played for like maybe 20 minutes and got cold. He was also hungry, so I went back to the car for food. Then everyone else wanted to eat and the big kids had come back from a walk, so we all moved to the bigger shelter with like 20 picnic tables. Then Abishai went to the playground again for a few minutes to warm up. I only ate a peanut butter bar and half of a bottle of Pepsi. And that's after two bowls of chocolate chex and three slices of cheese for breakfast. I only got to talk to the moms for a few minutes at a time and some moms only came to the park and weren't coming to the park later. Bummers! Oh well, whatever. Then Justin said it was 12:40pm and I jumped up because I had planned to get to the pool way before then because I was afraid it was going to max out. Whoops!

Well, we packed up and zipped through Shelbyville the town over to the pool facility in town. It's been about 2 years since I packed up kids by myself to go to the pool and I nearly forgot how to do it and what I needed! But I managed. I locked up my valuables in the glove department and only brought the cash I needed to get in with me, plus my phone and keys. There were a couple of other families with us and they stayed with our stuff most of the time, so I didn't get a locker, but I did have change for one if I needed it. No drinks or food were allowed, but a few snuck some in of course. The rules were followed for the most part at this pool, but at the same time, no one was overly strict either and I was grateful for that. The lifeguards didn't yell at parents when little ones were being disobedient and not sitting on their bums to go down the slide for instance. They kind of nodded to the parent who was desperately trying to follow the rules and didn't embarrass them. So a little grace was given. And the parents were pretty attentive and the kids seemed nice and respectful to the rules as well. I didn't see horse play or items that were not supposed to be in the pool or kids hanging on ropes or in the way of ladders or anything. And the pool was pretty full. It was your typical city pool with a big water slide, a diving board, a little play area with squirting water and slide for the wee ones, and even a climbing wall for the big kids. Everything seemed clean and neat and in order. $5 per person for however long you want to stay. Concessions to buy were also available. Lockers to rent. Lounge chairs were free. And some nice grass to lay on as well.

We stayed for about two hours. Justin was done first. He said he was tired. I don't know how much skateboarding he did at the park, but maybe he was tired from mowing our yard and then Grandpa's the yesterday. He just wanted to go home despite his favorite kids being there with him. He dove off the diving board once and landed in the water with his jaw in the wrong way and I think it was hurting him. And I think he was very embarrassed, too. Keturah was also bored, but she found some fun and confidence in this climbing wall that faced the pool that you climb and then jump backwards into the pool once you reach the top. Abishai of course didn't want to go home. He went up and down the little kiddie slide about 100 times. Just as I saw him splash at the bottom and I looked up to locate Justin or Keturah, he was a the top of the slide again ready to slide down. And he had to run through the water and up the playground steps to get there! He was very, very patient with waiting for kids to get off the slide before he even sat down to go down. The lifeguard never had to reprimand him for anything today. I actually had to remind myself to tell him how to respond to a lifeguard whistle since it's been a couple of years since we've seen lifeguards. He did very well, though. He was running on the pool deck and heard the whistle and immediately started walking. I was impressed.

I had to stay near him at all times, so I did get in the water. I wore that maternity bathing suit and then put that bathing suit shirt over that to protect my arms. But I did have to put lotion on my face and my legs and I hated it. The stuff I used is very thick and it took a while to rub it in. I want to take a shower but I know it's better if I take it tomorrow in preparation for Sunday. I could just feel the lotion blocking my pores. Yuck. Gross. I enjoyed the water. At one point I got too cold, but otherwise, it felt good. I surprisingly didn't get a headache or feel too tired while I was there or on our drive home, but once I settled back at home, I started to feel the fibromyalgia flare starting. Oh, ow, yes, like I worked out or something. Possibly from just standing on that concert. I did sit in the water, too, but sitting upright without a back rest is brutal, too. Abishai didn't want to leave of course, but he was good and let me lead him out of the water with just a little bit of fuss. Keturah had already packed up everything and left my bra on top and mixed my clothing with her wet stuff, which wasn't that helpful, but thankfully, I didn't notice the wet spots on my pants on our drive home. It took us longer than I thought to get dressed in dry clothes but we made it work. We stopped for McDonald's for slushees for a little pick me up and hydration and then took some of the backroads to avoid some of the standstill traffic on I-74. In doing so, we passed the National Guard based, with it's fancy trucks and such. Pretty cool. We got home and I went to lay down and it was nearly 5pm already! Shoot! I need to fix dinner and such! I guess it will be a late evening.

And late it was. 6:45pm dinner, which was pizza for the 4th time this week, and extra screen time for everyone. Jared got back after 9, played a round of Battlefront with Abishai and is going straight to bed. He doesn't have time to debrief me on his day nor does he have time to listen to me about my day. Fine. Whatever. He did ask for help around 5 because they didn't have enough people to serve food to the ladies for this e2 women's conference thing (90 women) and asked if Justin could help, but he didn't wait long enough for me to reply so he left me in the lurch. Justin was too tired anyway. So we didn't go help. And now I'm feeling very tired and very sore. Tomorrow Jared has to go back but the kids and I will rest and relax with and without screens and prepare for our big day on Sunday. If only the baptisee would act a little more like Jesus, it would make her testimony a little more believable. Because sometimes, I doubt her faith. From embarrassing me and sitting in the car reading books for 2 hrs when clearly there was someon there that wanted to include her in their playing to mouthing off with me to sneaking phone time. I really need to go through her phone and see what they are doing.



 

 Saturday was rest day. Abishai woke up around 8, Justin woke up around 10 and Keturah woke up around 10:30. Daddy left the house around 5:40am to open the church building for the chefs to cook breakfast for the ladies of the conference. I am surprised he didn't come home utterly exhausted. I woke up with Abishai and I was a bit sore, so I took it slow today. I wasn't as bad as I expected to be, but I was still sore and was glad to keep things slow and steady. I had breakfast, cut potatoes for stew, browned the meat for the stew, put it in the pot, and then took a shower. Abishai played some video games. The other two just puttered around on their phones of course. They both had showers. It started to warm up a lot today and tomorrow the heat index will be near 100. The rest of the week is going to be that warm, too. Welcome to the real summer! Jared came home closer to 3 rather than 2, and then we went for naps and the kids had their more normal screen time. Well, I had Keturah take a break from hers, but I was napping so I don't know if she obeyed me or not. While I waited for Jared to come home, I nonchalantly offered our house for a Tuesday afternoon homeshcool playgroup and well, they said yes! And now we have 3! families with wee ones coming our direction. Eek! So, I wanted to prove to Jared how much I could declutter and clean up in a little bit of time, and I ended up doing a lot in just 20 minutes of moderate movement. I bet in another 30 minutes I could have everything ready to go including a bit of cleaning and a good vacuuming. See, not that hard. It's just a bit of stuff that collects here and there and I have chosen to just let it stay where it is instead of move it. Abishai's Legos or guns for examples or his books on the couch. But the underlying mess or dirt is usually not the problem. It's just the extra stuff on top. And the bathrooms were fine because I had been decluttering here and there the last couple of weeks and cleaning, too. See? And really, if someone stopped by without asking, would I be embarrassed? Not at all, because they would expect a mess because they were dropping by unannounced. And I live here. This is how I live. I'm not embarrassed. I function how I function. Period. So, here comes some moms and their wee ones for a visit in a few days. It's a good thing no one needs to go out on Monday! Lol!

I do still books to sort for school but I'm not  worried about them because it's a good example to the other moms of what I do for the big kids. And if it's one thing I know about homeschool mamas, it's that they are always curious about other homeschool mamas homeschool mamas spaces and routines and books and organization and such. No use in hiding it. I was checking one of the mom's spaces when we were there a few weeks ago, lol. I'm sure it bothers a whole host of other types of people, but not us. This is how we live and breathe and eat and sleep homeschooling. No apologies. It's the homeschooling lifestyle. My kids don't care. I don't care. Function is greater than fashion.Can we find what we need and can we learn? That's all that matters. End of story.

Anyway, Jared brought home scrambled eggs and some subway sandwhiches from the conference so the kids had that for dinner. Abishai and I had stew for dinner. Jared had a salad, too. Gary and Leah brought over fresh corn from Karl. We are all geared up for Keturah's baptism and celebration tomorrow. I have a headache because I haven't drank enough water today. The water tastes weird to me right now. Kind of metallic or soapy or something. I don't know if it's my medication or there's a change in the water itself or something's coming through the well or what. They were doing some things next door so I don't know if something seeped into the ground maybe. I need to do some research or something. Or maybe get a Brita pitcher and extra filter the water, I don't know. But it doesn't taste good to me at all. And I've got to drink more water. I do have a big bottle of water and a huge 5 gallon of water I could open up and see if that changes anything. It would help me to see if it's me or the well or the kitchen sink. It's just another thing to add to my long list of things to think about. Blech.

Ok, ok, tomorrow is a big day and I'm pretty tired although I didn't do much today. Big week ahead, too, as usual. One day at a time.

Yup, it's nearly August. Nice and hot.

I didn't realize that the tree off the north side of the hosue produced pea pod looking seeds. Cool!

I just want to eat them! I mean I guess I seem them on the ground in the fall. but didn't put the two and two together.

Look at (my upper body strength) me, Mom! Yes, this kid is an animal! Get thee to the American Ninja Warrior classes or gymnastics or something!




I took before photos of all the rooms, but I'll just show you the bathrooms because they won't change much. This one won't change at all besides being vacuumed by me.

I will close the shower curtain because no one needs to see that nasty tub and the laundry basket will go in my room or I guess, honestly, it could go in the tub. I've never put it in the tub, but why not? And I moved the flood light that has sat on the sink for ONE YEAR to a different corner near the toilet so it's less visible. I had already been working on decluttering the toilet and I had put all my flexiclips back on their holder last week. The array of stuff on the ledge won't change, and I don't fold the towels, so that doesn't bother me. And the nasty walls? They'll probably think we did that last weekend or something. There's a pile of towel Jared used two nights ago and last night but those will go in the wash. A quick vacuum and sink cleaning and we are good to go. That's the key. Always keep your bathrooms well stocked and in good shape because that's the first place even an unannounced guest might see.

Keturah said there's more people that were ready to be baptized but maybe they aren't doing it on Celebration night. Or they didn't get photos of them all. Her photo was taken one random night at youth group. So, we'll see! We just show up at 6:15 and do what they tell us to do. I'm not in charge nor do I want to be. She packed her things. I will pack some snacks and water for me and some lawn chairs and just show up. Oh, and I'll feed the kids so we don't spend a gob of money on food trucks. But as far as what to expect during the service and afterwards before fireworks, I don't know. Bugspray, I'll bring the bugspray. But the sun will be going down, so hopefully the heat won't be as bad by 8 or 9pm. We'll see!

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment