Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Sunday, November 7, 2021

Year 6, October 29th-31st, 2021: Nora's 12th Birthday Weekend

 As I write this, I still haven't quiet finished the concert blog. I've decided not to write blog entries every day. I'll write on the same schedule, twice a week, but kind of just do my writing in chunks unless some big event takes place. I'm not 100% healed from Covid and it shows. But I'm also staying up way too late. I don't know what the draw is with that. I'm dizzy and my gut health isn't up to snuff. That slows everything down, including having motivation to write blog posts. So on Saturday when Jared and I could have been knocking off things on our to do list, we did basically nothing. Sunday was very busy, and it did include the usual dressing up at church kind of thing. The kids had small group parties and passed out candy I didn't want to be out at all yesterday, but we hadn't been physically in church in the last few weeks and Benaiah was playing drums. I woke up really late and so I barely made it on time. I avoided the KP wing and all the costumes and just focused on worship and watching Benaiah play. That seemed to help to keep things separate. But I still would just like to skip October 31st altogether and at least not have the church have anything to do it with it all.

Meanwhile, Nora turned 12 on Friday and they spent it again in Missouri doing a walk a thon. We tried to encourage Keturah to acknowledge it and do some laps around the neighborhood but she barely did any. It was kind of rainy and cold, and since Jared was still home, Abishai stayed home with him and I took just Justin with me to "park" day at Hitherto cafe' and board game to spend time with our friends. It was just a handful of us, but we had a good time. Kelly and I were only halfway into the conversation and both Brenda and Angi noticed, but at least we were there and upright and trying. I got big hugs from both Kelly and Angi and it felt so good to be with other adults in person who aren't afraid to hug you. Poor Kelly seemed so out of it though. I still feel so bad for passing Covid to her. We couldn't help it but it's not fun to make your friend so sick either. Oh, and we needed up meeting up on Saturday and they took Justin to their house for the afternoon and evening. We just couldn't do it on Friday because we were both exhausted.

Instead, we had dinner with Gary and Leah and Benaiah while Gary was available on Friday night. It went well and I was able to love on Benaiah whom I hadn't seen in 3 weeks. That kid has been blessed beyond measure and I hope he sees how at least some of it has stemmed from his integrity and from his connection to Grandpa and from his generosity to keep sharing and also because God is revealing himself to Benaiah. And then Jared took Abishai to karate as usual. It had been a long week, that's for sure. But it ended well. Happy 12th birthday, Nora!

 

Scritch, scratch, there's a mousy back there. Jared found a dead one under the fridge a couple of nights ago that was pretty far gone but the live one that has been getting into things in the pantry is still having fun in the kitchen. I've put peppermint on a sachet and we've put out some mouse traps. Tis the season.

Mouse in the House


It will be a sad day when this old workhorse dies. My mother's blow dryer is loud but it quickly blows dry my hair in less than 10 minutes. I had to blow dry my hair last night because I finally got a shower done but it was after 6pm. It's harder to put my hair up in a clip if I blow dry it but I wasn't going to bed with wet hair on a cold night.

Lots and lots of leaf color this fall. I'm glad I do get to drive around a lot right now and enjoy what I can.

I did spend about an hour outside on Sunday afternoon doing the iris bulb transfer that I had planned since the spring. With temps continuing to go down, it had to happen. But the irises kept blooming! I wanted to put it in them in this bare spot, although it's quite shady in the afternoon and evening. I pulled lots of other weeds either. So, not perfect, but it's done.


I even saw two slowly moving bees on these irises. It's almost November! Time to go to see my irises!

Loads of colors exploding!

Abishai and his loot from yesterday and Sunday school today.


This was Friday on Justin's and I's way out to Hitherto. Playing Ninja and Ninja in training.

Jedi in Training




Shauna put out a banner for Nora's birthday where they were staying for the walk a thon.

Pop blankie all fixed the rest I can.


Barely a few hours old. Now she's 12! Time flies!

Original burn hole in the pop blanket. I cut off the burn spot first. And then I went to town sewing them up individually. I've never had the fireplace crackle and pop so hard that it ruined a blanket, and the sofa. Craziness. Well, I have limited sewing skills. And even less bedside manner to bring comfort to those who need it.

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment