Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Friday, August 17, 2018

Year 3, August 12th, 2018: For King and Country at IN State Fair

Oh...my....goodness...again...yes, concerts will never cease to excite me.  But this one was a bit different.  This time, I took Benaiah, Justin and Keturah with me.  They might be older kids, but that doesn't mean they are super easy.  Benaiah almost didn't go because he forgot and made a commitment to someone else, and then had to cancel that commitment because well, frankly, I had been planning this for a couple of months and he knew the date.  He did miss the first night of Crave high school youth group, but there wasn't anything special going on, so it was no big deal.  Justin told me about halfway through that he hadn't wanted to come and he was bored (seriously, there were tears, but he's the sensitive one).  Then Keturah got tired right as For King and Country got started.  And, having all 3 kids together, forced us to work on communication, patience, authority, and then dealing with heat, exhaustion, loud music, etc.  BUT BUT BUT this was all part of what I wanted them to experience.  Not just the concert, but the experience.  That they CAN survive 87 degree summer weather.  That they can sit and be patient for the opening act.  That they can listen to each other and work through concerns.  Benaiah was my wing man and I specifically told them all that he was co parent.  That way, one of us could sit with our seats and one of us could take the other ones if need be to the bathroom or get a drink, etc.  I know that Jared and I both were praying for these teaching moments.  And it was incredible how God gave us grace.

First of all, I had to keep lecturing myself in the morning, especially through lunch, up until finding our seats because I was super nervous about the venue.  I was bound and determined not to stand behind tall people, not to sit on a side so my neck was crooked and hurting, and to be in the thick of things and yet be sensitive to the kids, because it was Keturah's first time at a large event.  With an outdoor concert, a lot of the sound travels away so it wasn't as loud as it could have been.  It just made it hard to hear one another.  Anyway, it's an understatement to say that God gave us the perfect seats.  We arrived at exactly the right time before most of the crowd and got a bench seat that was on gravel in the very front section, on the middle aisle, 8th row from the front!  And one row away from the "B" or secondary stage, which I almost had us sit in, and now I little bit regret that, because...well, you'll see in a bit....

Had to wear the "Joy" flexi for the "Joy" song.  I did actually change from the hot air balloon flexi, which is appropriate for the fair because it always starts with a hot air balloon festival on the first day of the two weeks (which wasn't today, but who cares). 

Pre show.  Hardly anyone here!

Hm,...I wonder if/how this will be used?


Man, it was so hot!  But this particular permanent outdoor stage is right near the 4H buildings that have air conditioning and interior bathrooms, with water fountains nearby.  Perfect location to take turns cooling off, using the bathroom, and filling up water bottles.  It's located on the northwest corner of the Indiana State Fairgrounds, way opposite of all the animals, north  of the midway, and west of all the other buildings and Little Hands on the Farm things that we usually go to.  In fact, we've never been in the 4H buildings because I knew that the kids wouldn't understand when they were little what they did in 4H.  Well, I was very pleasantly surprised today when Justin and Keturah actually took the time to look at many of the projects, check out the mediums of the crafts, what ages the kids were, and really appreciated the work it took.  It did help that some of the projects were Lego based, and I don't know how the rules work, but there were actually Lego sets in their original design with maybe one or two minor modifications.  But there were some incredibly awesome stuff, too.  4H is an excellent program but it does take commitment.  And it's not just about handling animals either.  I was just pleased as punch that something clicked in the middles today and I actually got to enjoy looking through an exhibit for once.  Score!

Sweet! A globe made into a lamp!

This is for my Lilla Rose stylists!  A crocheted peacock!

A Rubix cube table for Benaiah.

Construction toy roller coaster.

All the sets for Minecraft?  Did they add anything else?

Now, this was impressive.  Those are toothpicks that were carefully sliced into to make the cornstalks.  How clever and time consuming!

I love how this looks like the crayons are melting!

Handmade penny board!

Rockets galore!  Nice!

We couldn't figure out if someone made this from clas or just painted them, but either way, they looked amazing!

We aren't sure which animal this belonged to, but yes, it's a reproductive system of some sort.

Hey, we have a ton of those kinex building toys at home!  Wow!

Justin was mighty pleased with this structure from the Lord of the Rings.  The Minis Tirith, perhaps?  I don't know what it's called, but it was carved out of balsam wood it looks like.

String Art is all the rage now, just like it was 45 years ago, lol.

Some little girl would love this!

Nice re purposing of aluminum cans.

Love the plaid shirt pillow.

Nice idea to use up all your ribbons!

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe!  Justin recognized it before I did because of the coats in the wardrobe!

BB 8 string art.

It's Monument Circle downtown at Christmastime!

Another look at that castle in the mountain.

For Benaiah, a drum head table!

Barnyard doors are another decor item IN the home, whether it be full sized doors or ones for a cabinet like this.

Handmade Foosball table and canoe!

Doll rocking chair.
LOVED the butterfly collections!


We pretty much just stayed there in the area of the stage, only venturing out for 1 fair food item a piece, which was mostly drinks.  We are going back on Tuesday when those same items will be $2 instead of $5 and Abishai will be with us, so we'll go to the circus stuff and animals.  But we did get to see the one ring circus and get an idea of how things are set up when we went walking for a bit.  I know some friends who were trying to do a good portion of the fair before sitting down for the concert and they didn't get very good seats.  Some of the grass was blocked by bleachers, too, so you could hear them, but not see the bands.  If I'm going to make the effort to go to something (which takes more effort when you have fibro and food sensitives and anxiety), I'm going to do my best to get the best seat.  I'd rather sit and be bored for awhile then be anxious and mad.  I was very, very calm after the first band started at 3pm because we had settled into our seats.  For King and Country didn't start until 7:45pm, so there were 3 bands before that and each had good amount of time on the stage for that type of "festival."  To me, it was a mini festival because it was just one day and the seating arrangements were clean and organized.  There was no "mosh pit" aka crowd near the front because no one was allowed to crowd the aisles.  We didn't feel like people were on top of us, which was something that would make me anxious, trying to squeeze through people in order to see.  I had been anxious about seats because we first had to go to church, and Benaiah was playing at Shelby St., so driving arrangements were different.  I don't normally go to the fair on the weekends because of crowds and there were reports of bad traffic.  But I came in a different way than I normally do and didn't have much of an issue.  And leaving wasn't bad either.

I was also anxious because of how the kids usually do with heat.  But, we were able to bring in our own food and other things like the cooling towels, hats, and of course sunscreen and bugspray.  And since we stayed in one spot and one of us stayed there the whole time, we didn't have to carry it around with us.  We did bring in our own chairs but didn't need them.  I did as much research I could of the venue, beforehand, but now I know what to expect: go super early, at least 1 hr before the opening band, and just camp out.  I'm just happy that Keturah and Justin didn't develop headaches, because they both don't tolerate heat well and that would have been the end of it.  It helped that we didn't walk around that much either.  I put on sunscreen and purposefully wore a t-shirt instead of tank top because I didn't want to be sunburned again.  But then I put on peppermint essential oil without diluting it (it was in a blend with some others) on my neck where I put the sunscreen and between the sunscreen and irritation from the sun, the area felt like it was burning!  I texted my friends but it seemed to calm down quickly after I covered up the area.  I know citrus oils shouldn't be exposed to direct sunlight because they will burn, but I didn't think peppermint would do that.  Eeek!  I also wore long kahki capris in case of bugs, and to keep the sun off, and to keep my skin from sticking to things.  I think it's better to have the longer clothing on to absorb the sweat and protect your skin then to be exposed.  And my theory worked for me.  I'm grateful that the kids actually didn't complain about the heat that much.  We'll go super early on Tuesday and try to beat most of it when we have Abishai.  But, it's all part of the experience.  And not a drop of rain, yeah!

As far as the concert itself, it was amazing!  Ok, the first bands were pretty average, and one had formed from part of a worship band at one of our churches on the northside, so that was cool.  I do feel bad sometimes for these bands because people aren't really sitting and listening, plus, it's so hot up there and most of them are in long pants (maybe to absorb sweat?) I felt bad that even we didn't focus too much on them because I was more concerned about everyone's health and happiness.  I told the kids that normally, I would have been more respectful and not ducked out every 1/2 hr to 1hr.  But it couldn't be helped if we were going to make it through.  And I personally was only there because of For King and Country. I just understand how the music business works, and it's important for bands to get exposure and they are worth our attention, too, as they are starting out.

Starting to fill up now that the first band is on.  These guys formed a band after playing for the Crossroads (Crossway? Cross something!) church on Indy's northside.  They are called "All the Astronauts" I think. They played some worship songs/covers.  I think a few of their own original songs, too.  They were ok.  Benaiah said the drummer did not play the drum lines well/correctly for the most popular worship song of the hour, "Reckless Love."

This will be FULL in just a couple of hours.  They did have lots of picnic tables for those who didn't get there early enough to get a bench seat like we did.  Our friends Lisa Strunk and Kaylin sat a table.  The boys, Ethan, Conner, and Benjamin all had responsibilities at church for their first night back at Crave.  Yes, Benaiah skipped out on youth group to come with us, but I think it was fine considering there were worship songs and a few sermonettes, lol.

Tour bus sighting!

So hot, and so bored, but believe me, it was well worth it.

$5 for this huge bag of cotton candy, that's a steal!


Merch table.

Main area of the free stage area.  It didn't seem big enough, and it wasn't.  But you couldn't see much if you sat on the lawn behind the bleachers and for once, there was no side screens.

Side of the stage.

Jonathan Jackson and band?  I think.  Again, some worship, some CCM/pop/rock stuff.  Nothing too note worthy except that they wore all black and long pants on a 90 degree heat index day.  And they played the drum line to "Reckless Love" correctly.

I can't wait to see how For King and Country utilizes this big drum!


Winter hat/beanies are great for absorbing sweat and preventing the sun to scorch your balding head.

Young drummer.

You're making me hot.

Sarah Reeves' turn.  I honestly didn't stick around for most of these sets and/or didn't pay attention because it was so hot and I didn't know these bands.

Definitely filling up!

Justin trying to get jiggy with it.

Just some of the county fair queens got on stage before the main event to introduce them.  They will compete next year in the 2019 state fair pageant I believe.  I really don't have a clue, but I know they are local queens going up the ladder in the competition.  A friend of ours was the Marion County fair queen one year, which is a neat platform to have.  And you know what?  Not all of these ladies were stick thin, either.  Fun!
iPhone pics:
Hot, hot, hot!!! But at least it's not raining like it will be most of next week!

Time to get excited!

Truly, they will be super excited once they see how fun For King and Country shows are!  Benaiah did take a ton of footage, too!

See these crowds BEHIND the bleachers and soundboard tent?  Yeah, how on earth do you see/enjoy the concert from back here?  You can hear it just fine, but not really see it.

I told ya, it was soooooo worth sitting there for over 5 hrs in the blazing sun.

Three bands have come and gone.  The stage is set.  Time to GO!  Let's do this!
THEN it was time for the main event.  The butterflies in my stomach started churning again.  I knew only about 1/3 of the songs, but I knew they put on one incredible show with a ton of extra instruments like large chimes and xylophones and cellos and cymbals and tons and tons and tons of drums and synths and even a handheld keyboard!  Yes, the showmanship is INCREDIBLE with these guys.  These guys that I've actually seen before, but in a very, very different way.  These two guys, Joel and Luke Smallbone, are the younger brothers of Rebecca St. James, an artist I followed back in the 90's.  And they played for their big sister since they were 10 and 12 or something like that.  In fact, their whole family relocated from Australia to Tennessee for RSJ to start her carreer as a teen Christian musician. But these things are more than drummers.  They are the "musical homeschooling family" that you have heard about where they all play multiple instruments, including the cello, keyboard, drums, etc. etc.  RSJ is 4 yrs older than me and the younger brothers are 3 and 5 years younger.  There are more kids in the middle to make up a total of 7 or 9 kids for their family.  Yup, they are THAT family.  Well, come to find out, that these guys didn't split off from big sister officially until only 8 years ago!  They ONLY have 3 albums out!  But they are an overnight success it seems, because I've heard there name a million times over.  Or maybe there isn't as big as a following as I thought.  I thought they were as big as Newsboys/Third Day and I would have had to compete for seats.  Not really.  But, the numbers don't matter because their songs are incredibly deep, meaningful, yet catchy, not worship songs, unique, and incredibly powerful and fun! I've been following them on Instagram and again, seeing them not on a stage builds up the excitement and helps to understand who they are.

AND AND AND AND AND I totally forgot but was looking through my pictures trying to find one of them with RSJ back when they were little (at least I think I went to a concert with her and them a long, long time ago), and came across a concert 12 years ago that was AT OUR CHURCH.  Yes!  Our church!  I had totally forgotten that RSJ and Barlowgirl had down a tour together and we were one of the stops!  Oh, my goodness!  So I have a couple of great pictures of the boys before they were this famous band.  They were 20 and 22 at the time.  I even got to help set up that concert or something, but since I had two kids in tow by then, I couldn't do much.  I went back later for the concert.  So cool!

So that's the background.  I know I get starstruck easily.  This is literally my jam. And I've already explained why in every other concert post I've done this year.  And I'm totally hooked and addicted to it again, but my wallet says to stop.  I wish I could go see RSJ and many older, non touring artists in Louisville in October/November, but I have to stop at some point.  But it does mean a lot to me because it's what my mom with me.  It was our jam.  And now it can be the kids and I's jam.  And yes, they do enjoy it.  When we were at the birthday party the day before where all the family seemed to be really into sports, watching it and playing it themselves, and they kept asking my kids what sports they play, I finally said we aren't a sports family.  We are a musical family.  3 out of 4 grandparents were in church choirs.  Their great great great grandparents on my side were chairs of music departments.  Jared and I play instruments.  And we both enjoy meaningful songs.  I just get starstruck and he doesn't.  And he lets me.  Anyway, all that to say, our kids have sort of been groomed that way.  But we've been careful and let them try out sports. Benaiah tried baseball, Justin tried basketball, and now Keturah will try basketball.  And they all love to swim.  But, going to concerts as a family is a dream come true.  I'm not sure if I would want Jared to come with me because I wouldn't feel like myself.  I would be too concerned about embarrassing him.  Anyway, lots and lots of fond memories with my mom, and I hope to keep providing that for our kids, even if it means me giving up other things to do it.

The messages in the songs they have written are incredibly deep and I know that all 4 of us needed to hear them.  Songs like "Priceless," "Joy," and "God Only Knows."  They guys talked passionately to other men about taking care of the women in our lives and reminding the women that they are priceless and have worth.  "Joy" is about focusing on more than the nightly news  and finding joy again.  "God Only Knows" (what you've been through), is exactly that.  They definitely have a maturity about them that I can truly appreciate.  They have younger families and marriages than ours, but that also plays a role.  And then hearing these messages time and time again from their wonderful parents and older sister, who championed the "True Love Waits" purity culture and didn't get married until her mid 30's.  I'm going to at least listen more to all three albums of theirs, and maybe purchase them at some point, mostly like in MP3 form.  They had this awesome deal at the merchandise table, which I wish I had purchased and split the items between all of us, because the merch on their website isn't packaged like that.  There was your choice of hat, your choice of t-shirt, a download card for the already released songs for their new record and you'd be emailed a coded for the rest of the album, and a necklace, all for $40.  The necklace is an Australian penny and related to the "Priceless" song.  I thought I would give that to Keturah.  Justin get a hat and Benaiah get a t-shirt?  Anyway, Benaiah did get himself a set of drumsticks though.  That's his favorite souvenir anywhere he goes, go figure.

FYI: I don't know all the names to the songs they sang because I honestly haven't listened to them except for their brand new stuff they've released in the last month or so.  I'll do my best to take out duplicate photos, but I love all of the action shots, so it will be hard to decide.  I won't journal each one, so take a peak and scroll on past.  The cool stuff will be in the clips of the speeches I added here and/or I put on a YouTube playlist here:

For King and Country and Friends Full Playlist Aug 12th, 2018, Indianapolis



Hard to tell because it's an outdoor concert, but they use this drop down sheet/screen so they can make shadows of themselves getting ready behind it and hype up the crowd.  They kept it up for half of the first song, and also bounced off some graphics for it.  I think that song had to do with a lion.  Got it! It was Run Wild!  Benaiah could tell that the rolled up curtain at the top of the stage would come down like this, and then I guessed that it would drop to the ground based on other clips I've seen.  Techie for life, I guess!  I originally thought it was rolled up there in case of rain, so it would come down a bit to protect the lights or something.  Benaiah called it!  And the guys weren't quite ready to come out yet, so the intro music was repeated for a good 8 minutes.  Yikes!
Curtain Drops



One thing I appreciate about the Smallbone brothers and their band is that they have numerous instruments other than the typical guitars, keyboards, and basic drum kit.  For example, they have a trombone/cello player!  Numerous sets of drums, xylophones, bells, etc.

Action shot....so much energy!

Oh the famous cymbals!  I was trying to figure out when he would jump and clash them like I've seen in the concert videos, but I don't think he did that the exact same way this time.  (actually, check out the blurry iPhone photo below)

Sweet cymbals!

The first round of confetti!


All kinds of drums used all kinds of ways everywhere.  Benaiah's happy place!  I've never been big into the drums or really listening and enjoying the drums until Benaiah has been involved.

Joel on the left is 2 yrs older than Luke, but a bit shorter.  And yes, Joel referred to Luke as his big, little brother just like Jared refers to Aaron that way.  But those jackets!  It's their classic stage look of the last couple of years.  Not sure where it stemmed from, but I'm glad they still wore them for a good portion of the concert despite the 90 degree heat.  I guess you just get used to sweating a lot.

Now a cello in the middle.




Getting on the down low.



Cello!

I don't think this one was in the "Joy" song, but it was some of the running in place dance moves he does.

Jacket flare.  It's too bad I was behind some somewhat tall people and caught their shirts on camera.  If I had editing time and skills, I could clean this photo up very nicely.  #shortpeopleproblems


The guys run around the stage like maniacs and that's what it makes it so much fun!  They play all these instruments, too.  So talented!





The crowds!  Thank goodness security kept the aisle ways near us free of people.  I felt like we had a huge amount of room compared to those sitting on the lawn behind us or standing to the sides of the stages.  After feeling a bit hemmed in even with ticketed seats this year, it's nice to have some space.

Uplifting his Christian sisters (us) and reminded his Christian brothers to do the same.  It goes along with the "Priceless" movie that he starred in, they wrote a song for, and his brother helped to direct/produce.  It's about human trafficking here in the states.  But it's also a topic the boys grew up listening to from their sister and parents. (actually, that speech was later on, this speech is just a fun one about fried food, see videos below).
Joel thanks helpers

Joel talks about fried fair food

Joel encourages women and men



iPhone pics for this set:





THEN THIS HAPPENED:

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

The guys went out onto the "B" stage which happened to be directly behind us.  We were literally a few feet from them!  I fangirled so much, it was so silly!  Not only did the kids get to see a great concert with 8th row seats, they also got to nearly touch the band! I haven't been this close to this kind of artist in a super long time.  It was like being the front row and staring directly up their noses! And seeing all the lines on their faces.  Ok, I'll stop there.  But how stinkin' cool!!!!  I have no idea what they sang while on the "B" stage because I was just taking it all in and not concentrating on the words.  I do remember the tall one, Luke, talking about a medical emergency with his 2 month old youngest son and how God them through it, or maybe a song came from it? I was too excited and now it's been a few days, I can't remember.  You also have to remember, I watch Instagram stories and read posts almost daily from these "celebrities" so they are always just in front of my face and I sort of "get to know them" at least their social media/public side.  I hear their accents, see their mannerisms, what they wear for their concerts, etc.  So, to see them up close and personal is like a dream come true.  Larger than life sometimes.  And yet, we are all happily married, similar in age, some of kids, but we all love good Jesus music.  It's just a fun thing that lifts my spirits when I get a chance to do it.  And to bring my kids along for the ride (and have them not be super embarrassed by their silly mother, which they weren't embarrassed because they like it, too) is such an awesome blessing and privilege now.  This is the fun stuff I desperately need to do with my kids, the memories I want to make with them because I those the memories of my mom and I doing this same thing are all that I have of her sometimes.  I cling to those happy memories.  And I hope my kids can, too, someday.  So, I fangirl and I smile.  And I get back to work when I get home and kiss my ever steady, ever loving, ever forever husband good night.


The band! Sweet goodness! That drum likes to change hands a lot.  Never a dull moment!  And yes, I did know that things like this happen on the "B" stage. I'm glad I choose this spot!

Nice drum pic.

Electric guitar.

Cello again.

Joel, still in his jacket, in 90 degree heat.


So close!


Oh my goodness, twinning.

Oh yes I did take a picture of their pants and shoes and no, this is NOT a zoomed in picture, nor was I leaning over the bench seat.  It's not everyday that you can get a picture of an artists' footwear!  Nice boots!
Nice sun shot.
Then the guys walked back up the aisle and Benaiah grabbed Luke's hand or shoulder or something.  Epic!  Time to finish the rest of the set!

iPhone pics from the "B" stage. Because we were facing the setting sun at this point, it was hard to get the lighting right.  I'm sure I could fix it in post production if I had the time.  It was easier to correct the lighting using my phone, plus I was taking a ton of video footage anyway, and it's hard to balance the phone and regular digital camera at the same time.  So, here you go
:



Keyboards, too.


Drum stick spin? Drone? I actually don't know!  But there was a drone flying over, too.



The coloration on the selfies came out so much better than the other pics! Check them out!










Yup, that's my forehead and For King and Country behind me.  Yup, way cool!







I was jealous of the women in back/front of us.  What a treat!

Luke telling the story about his son.  And that his wife is from Indiana.  And check out the video of Joel shaking Benaiah's hand!


Last part of the concert, sun getting low.  It's neat to see the changes in what you can and cannot see depending on where the sun is in the sky.



Joel sings "It Is Well"


That jacket!

I can't help it if Leah's camera takes such great pictures!


Now you can see how the lighting has changed.  Lots of back lighting making halos around the guys.

Although it dissaptes faster outside, they still used a TON of lighting fog stuff.


Oh that fog!
Singing their hearts out.


Hard to see because of lighting and now lack of sun.

I liked their backdrops, too.  Just simple light patterns.  A couple of times they used a music video, but certainly not for every single song like Newsboys did. 


Oh yes, Joel can play the portable keyboard, or whatever it's called.  Kind of an 80's thing, right?  But still in works!

"Joy!" (one of their newest songs on the record that comes out in October I think.)


The graphics for this one were awesome!  The music video is incredible too and features Candace Cameron Bure, one of my favorite celebrities.  I love how the Christians in the movie/tv world interact with those in the CCM world, they are all like best buddies and support one another!  I can often find them promoting each other's books for instance.  It's awesome!

Oh yes, the maracas for "Joy!"


Yup, second round of confetti for "Joy!"



Such cool graphics!



They did "Little Drummer Boy" for their encore.  I think it's just a really popular version of the Christmas song that all the fans adore, and/or they were getting people in the mood to think about Christmas tours because, two days later, they share their Christmas tour dates on Instagram.  I think it was both, and it was an incredibly rendition of it.  Oh, which reminds me, one of their songs had "It Is Well" in it, my mom's favorite hymn, and my mom loved "Little Drummer Boy," too, so it was a good nod to her for me.

iPhone pics from last part of the set:
Back to right after the "B" set finished.  Working the crowd.



Blurry, but HERE is the jumping off of a platform with the crashing cymbals I was talking about that I was looking forward to seeing in person.  The only thing missing from last year's tours was the actual megaphones they've used.  They use some in their "Joy" music video, but didn't bring them for this concert.

Where'd they go?

Angelic voices? Or just lots of lighting combined with an iPhone camera?



Ok, I'm going to leave both of these band photos in here because you can see the black band member in this one.

And you can see both Luke and Joel's faces in this one.
I love their logo on their huge base drum.  It makes sense since they are Australian that they still think about the crown of England, as well as God as King, etc. etc.  TONS of meaning in their name on purpose.

Tour buses!

Nice shot Indiana State Fair Instagram!

Just a short version of their sisters' bio.

Wore my "Joy" flexi to represent the song.

Flashback time! Back to 2006 when Rebecca St. James and her brothers took the stage at our church!  Luke (I believe, but could have been another brother because she has at least two more brothers and I think 2 sisters) and Joel on the right.

Other pictures in this scrapbook showed how I took Benaiah, age 4, and Justin, age 1, with me to help "set up" and how I didn't get to do much helping.  I vaguely remember that.  And then I got to go back and enjoy the concert obviously without them.

This is how concerts were done at the fair before the accident in 2011.  A huge storm came through, and people weren't evacuated in time and the rigging collapsed onto them killing I think 2 people and severely injuring 17 and maybe cuts/bruises to about 70? Obviously this picture is from a concert I went to with my mom before that in 2006, with Michael W. Smith and Jars of Clay and Third Day I think.  It was a ticketed event.  I'm so glad that we don't have to stand in the muddy track anymore.  The rigging wasn't properly put together either.  So, instead of all that rigging, there are now concrete permanent pylons at the free stage, plus some rigging for lights during the fair itself obviously.  I did follow a Care page for one of the severely injured victims who couldn't walk for over a year and now has a helper dog, etc.  Young man, maybe 17, and continues to live with his parents because of his disabilities from the accident.  By the way, this accident was on the national news, yes, the national news for about a week afterwards, that's how big a deal it was.  Scary.

9,489 for Indiana State Fair day 1.  Not bad.  We didn't walk far, but I did travel the same path to the bathrooms several times, plus I stood for a good part of the concert, swaying or shifting back and forth, which could make up for some of those steps.  Either way, I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment