Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Year 5, December 28th-29th, 2020: Play, Play, Play

 J12 Christmas Vacation Dec 28, 2020

J12 Christmas Vacation Dec 29, 2020 

Monday, December 28th, 2020 – A trip to Paris, Paris, Tennessee that is.

Oh boy. I snapped today. Big time. Don't know what led up to it. The trigger was a slight change in schedule. Shauna has gotten up way earlier than usual for these kind of trips which has thrown me off a bit. I went to take a shower and the decision was made to leave for a photo op and playground run in about 30 minutes. Um, I hadn't had my tea yet. I hadn't eaten enough breakfast. We had talked about going out, but not a time. Well, I wasn't ready and we were 45 minutes “late” after some not so fun phone calls with Gary on “did you just pass us?” No Gary, we aren't even on the road yet. The park 2as about 20 minutes away. When we got there, we got the photo done and then they played for 10 minutes. That means the older kids were there for about an hour and Abishai had the 10 minutes. So who suffered from all of this? Abishai. Then we all caravanned to a flea market, something that all the kids had been asked about this morning during breakfast and had said “no” to. Sigh. Well, Jared then decided to take charge (finally) and said he was taking Abishai and I back to the park for 30 more minutes. The rest of them went to other thrift stores. And then we reconvened at the cabin around noon.

But boy did I come unglued. It was pretty sudden, too. Like I had in my head to use a calmer voice and I exploded and went from 1-100 in a millisecond. I hate that I'm snapping so quick instead of the anxiety accumulating. It's easier to stem the lava when it's slow flowing and starting to bubble up. Yikes! Poor Jared. He hasn't spoken to me since. I've calmed down and no one else is talking about it. Sigh. I did talk to my sister Stefanie about it, so that helped. I came home and ate a whole can of lentil soup, some bread and two cups of coffee. Then I put myself to bed and tried to sleep while others ate their lunch. About 2pm, Gary wanted another family photo in front of the lake landscape. I was voluntTOLD to bring out the DSLR. Well, I wasn't going to lean it in a weird position over a railing, so the photo is just kids and grandparents. I wish I had brought my tripod. It would have been much easier to angle the camera. I just didn't think through it. Just like I didn't bring my essential oils. Or this or that other thing like spices. Or sprinkles for the gingerbread houses. Hm, I have to go out for that phone appointment tomorrow, so perhaps I'll go to Dollar General by myself and look for sprinkles. I might head out to a coffee shop, too. We shall see.

I'm pretty anxious about the video appointment with the psychiatrist. I really, really want the ADD diagnosis. Then I can blame something that is real, and people can stop thinking I don't have enough self discipline or that I'm a bad Christian with no self control. I badly want to try medication. So, somehow, I need to show enough of why I am at the point that I sound desperate. I can't keep having these outbursts. It's not fair to anyone. I did stay up too late, two nights in a row. Not tonight. Not tonight. Thus I'm writing at 5:20pm. I'm so used to writing with my photos instead of in the big paragraphs that I'm not sure if I'm including enough detail either.

After the photo, I went back to my room and just listened to the Sally Clarkson audiobook. I'm almost done! That was quickish for me! But it's SO SO GOOD! I just ordered the print version on Amazon today, as well as airpods because I NEED to sometimes listen to something with other people around. I bought the $20 version so I'm sure they won't last terribly long. But, they will do. The others worked on Lego, painted some stained glass kits, worked with perler beads and watched The Christmas Story movie. Gary, Jared, Aaron and Benaiah went on the 3mile hike. Abishai got scared during the movie, so I told him to go get his tablet and snuggle in bed with me. I think it comforted me more than it comforted him. Then Jared came home and needed to rest and the movie was over so we came out to the main room. All was calm again. Well, I was the only one that hadn't been calm. I don't know if I should apologize now or not. It's better not to bring it up and just let it wash away at this point. Except for Jared because he's the one who heard the tirade.

Aaron and Shauna are on dinner duty and they are making taco salad. Yeah! Our favorite! We'll probably play more board games and video games this evening. Shauna already finished one puzzle, so we will probably start another. We told each other what we were bringing for board games and puzzles and well, I think everybody stuck 2-3 more puzzles/games in their bag to bring and then we got some as gifts. And we are talking about 1,000 piece puzzles. We only have 3 more full days but it's going to be cool and/or rainy so we have plenty of time. I wish I had gone on the hike today, but I have been going full speed for 4-5 days now. That's probably why I broke down. I didn't feel like I'm done talking to people or that their exact words are triggering. Just the shift in leaving time and I didn't handle it well at all. I should have shut up and just did my thing, which is what I did, but then I exploded on the way to the park despite my best efforts.

Meanwhile, Abishai is loving his toy from the thrift store and still carrying Grogu around. He says he's Mando, the Daddy, and Grogu is his baby. Grogu is currently taking a nap. Everly is diligently making more perler bead things. The girls have been sharing a lot from their phone with each other. Keturah stayed up way too late on hers, so I will get her off by 9pm tonight.

I would like to explore downtown Paris more. I'd love to know why it's called Paris in the first place. The park had a mock up of the Eiffel Tower and I remembered a photography hack. Bring the people close to your camera so you can get their faces, and put the huge monument way way back in the background. And it worked! I did enjoy having that professional photographer AHA moment from all my reading on the subject. Ah. Sigh. And now my phone charged from 10% to 90% in under an hour. Not bad. I only need to charge it every 24 hrs or so. It's SO NICE not having to worry about my phone running out of battery! I might have to give my battery pack to Keturah. We'll see. Ok, dinner's about ready.

Dinner was super yummy. After dinner, well, the kids played Minecraft. I love how they started that a few years ago and just keep going! “Everly, that's my horse!” “Justin, I needed that!” “My horse is called Brownie.” “Look at my huge staircase!” Lol. They also had a big rough house time of throwing snowballs and kicking at each other. Abishai and Jared put together Abishai's Legos and then he went for a bath. He came out kicking and screaming because the soap got in his eyes. He was still hard to settle down because now it was too late for him to join the others. We got everybody dressed for bed and teeth brushed, and hushed. The adults, however, were playing Scrabble and then cards, and it was VERY hard for them to keep quiet. So much sarcasm and cutthroat words, especially between the two elders in the family. I wish I could be critical in a funny way like that. I'm just biting and mean. But it was incredible to see Benaiah flanked by his grandparents and laughing just as hard as he would with his best friends. Just to think where we were 4 and 5 years going through the biggest crisis of our lives, not knowing if we'd be a family again. And look how far God has brought us. Like it never even happened. I even told Benaiah he needs to quit being so responsible! But I think he's got some big future plans and knows he has to be the provider. He has someone to live for. Again, wow, 5 years ago, where was my little boy? Not in a good place at all. The scariest moments of our lives happened that year. It's humbling. And saddening to think not everyone enjoys this kind of depth of relationships and reconciliation between them.

I was able to say, even if they weren't fully taking it in, why I have my appointment tomorrow. Shauna was asking questions. So, we'll see where that leads. Maybe someday I'll be bold enough to ask them what they really think of me and my weaknesses. Are they really proud of me? Annoyed by me? Do they think that all these medications don't work because the diagnosis' aren't real? Do they think I don't trust God? (which is partially true). So many floating questions. But I'm both excited and nervous. So far, I've only met great people at that clinic. I'm praying I'll find it that way tomorrow. I've never talked to a real psychiatrist before, just personal Christian counselors. I hope I say the right things. But first, I need to sleep.

It was a great evening between everyone as always. Tomorrow, appointment for me and painting Oscar the Owl tomorrow with the park ranger. Have fun!

A pink flamingo tree? That's crazy!

Welcome to Paris! Paris, TN that is!

Aw, Grandma Cook, in the words of Uncle Ed, our own special Saint Mary (Mary Ellen). She had just had her hair washed so she has a warm towel on her head. She's still going strong, bless her!

A very nice playground here at the park in Paris.


I see a little guy's rear end under there hiding out from big brother.

That's Benaiah up there! He couldn't climb as fast or as far as the other kids he was chasing. There was a lot of grunting and twisting and turning.

Everyone else went into the thrift shop. Abishai came out with a new toy of course. Flea Markets are Aaron's thing, but Leah likes them, too. You can find all kinds of treasures!

Then Abishai, Jared, and I went back to the park.



He looks like the troll (and so did Benaiah when he was up there) that makes people pay a price to go across the bridge or say the magic word.

Abishai hiding again.

Strangest thing I've ever seen! I couldn't tell if it was a wedding, a rehearsal, or a vow renewal. They were all dressed in different costumes from different time periods and just weird stuff. They did the processional and vows and sermon really quickly, so I don't think it was a wedding. They were laughing a ton during the sermonette as well. The priest was wearing a monk's robe. So strange! But fun at the same time because everyone participated!


Grogu's first adventure!

Grogu has his own seat!

He looks like every other big kid of his generation. Nice headphones!

This shirt made Abishai seem so much older.

Nearly done. It was a very easy puzzle.

Movies, Legos, and other screens, a daily ritual.


Lego master at work. I mistakenly called it to the Razor Crest. We already have the Razor Crest. This is Boba Fett's ship, which doesn't have an official name.

Every single day......

Grogu watches too. No wifi at the house, so they only can play what they previously downloaded.

Good morning/afternoon.


Working on their crafts, first up, perler beads!

Snacktime! Can't put down the tablet though!


How long it took my phone to charge from 7% to 80%, and that's with the lightning cable. I think I was playing on it from time to time, too.

Leaping lizards, or a leaping Nora?

Woah! Ah!

Snowball fights!

Gorgeous moon! With night mode.

Without nightmode? I think I like the without nightmode better.

Taco salad night with quac and a fun placemat.

Benaiah voluntered to do dishes?! Yes he did!

Pretty looking fruit bowl.

I hadn't taken photos of the hot cocoa bombs yet, so here's the pretty packaging!

Cookies and cream! These bombs were large at about maybe 2 or 2 1/2 inches across?

Regular chocolate.

Unicorn, aka, strawberry flavored instead of chocolate.

Putting

Putting together his dinosaur Legos with Daddy.

The first round of Scrabble for the week. But Quibler ended up being the clear winner on favorite game of the week!


Wow, um, I thought their profiles would look more similar but actually, not really. The middle 4.

The bookends.

His triceratops!


Jared downloaded Star Trek episodes to watch. I borrowed DVD's of my show from the library, Mr. Selfrdige, although, some of the DVD's didn't work.

I'm finishing up this crosstitch after about 7 years!

Her "faceplant" position. Lol.

Sleeping beauty. She choose to sleep on the couch. She could have slept in the girls' room with the blow up air mattress. I think she didn't want to miss any of the action.

DSLR pics:

Hm, I think you are all too far away. Let's use a photographer's trick I learned and actually remembered in the moment!

Tada! Put more distance between you and the background and less between you and the camera! I'm kind of bummed that you can still see the edge of the stool we brought. I was voluntold that I'd take family photos. I should have brought the tripod.


I opened up the aperature some, and then took this one. I think it's a bit better. And then I forgot to switch it back and the rest of my photos from vacation are a bit overexposed. Whoops!



I couldn't get the camera high enough and angled down safely, so we kept it at grandparents and grandkids.


Tuesday, December 29th, 2020

I woke up in a much better mood for sure, thank God, literally! I wish everyone who said that phrase meant it. Jared had a horrible night with stomach pains again. I think it's time for him to see someone about that. He didn't sleep from 2-5am he said. So he stayed in bed and I got up with little guy for breakfast. Eggy toast for him, cereal for me. I can't remember what else I did though. I know others throughout the day painted, played board games, played Minecraft, etc. I had that video appointment with the psychiatrist at 12pm, so I went over to the conference center, but it wasn't open. I know that I could have called and arranged something earlier with the staff, but that's ok. I just came back to where it was warm and hoped we didn't use up all the data. It was a 20 minute video call and it went ok. Some basic questions that were way too open ended for my taste. “What do you think you need help with?” Uh, you tell me based on my symptoms! What would you want a person's best to look like? Quite frustrating. He said normally they would increase the dosage of the anti anxiety medication, Cymbalta, first. Then he asked my opinion and I said I really just want to find out if a different kind of medication would work better. Well, he prescribed a non stimulant. Sigh. I need to find an osteopath. As much as I like our clinic for basic needs, it's not cutting it for my complicated case. I'm going to look into that business near us that is selling the supplement I can't get on Amazon anymore. It's super expensive to get started, but if it's an osteopath vs. a naturopath, then it might be worth it. Sigh. I miss the first osteopath I met here 4 yrs ago. She was really, really good. So, it was a disappointing visit. He didn't say if I had ADD or not either, but I didn't pressure him that way this time. He didn't ask “get to know you” questions, either. Maybe I don't understand what a psychiatrist does vs. a psychologist except that one can prescribe and another can't.

Despite that appointment, the day went well. I finished my cross stitch! Finally! 6-7 years in the making! Now I can get back to the much more mundane easier Jesus one that my mom gave me! It's a lot simpler with many chunks of rows of the same color. More counting, less changing of thread. And the photo matches the pattern. And the pattern has symbols instead of colors. MUCH easier! So, I've kept on the big blog posts, read my little devo, oh and I finished my audiobook! I wanted to listen to a different audiobook but it's not available right now and I can't get Amazon's Kindle app or Audible to work. I'm pretty frustrated there. I wonder if Abishai's tablet might be easier for that, but not this time around because I don't have wifi. I could tether it to my phone though. Hm,....a good project for tomorrow for when it's rainy.

The girls did ask about doing gingerbread houses but I told them not today. Jared and I were supposed to go out after my appointment but he didn't feel good. I was going to have him go with me to a cafe' and then to the grocery store for tonight's dinner. But the rest of the crew took over and decided to make their soups instead. I think we need a leftovers night because no one seems to be eating leftovers during the day. They all eat deli sandwhiches. My kids and I don't normally eat sandwhiches but actual leftovers from the night before or chicken nuggets. Or they eat the leftovers for dinner. So, we'll see. It's not that I don't want to spend money on food. I just don't want to go to the store by myself. So maybe we'll go to the store tomorrow after we get the gingerbreads underway. I'd rather have my coffee in the afternoon and I ran out of my creamer today, too. But I don't want to go alone. I'm not used to driving the van and this isn't my town. I can do it, but I'd rather not. So, we'll see.

We are having frequent discussions about food intake though. Keturah's overeating and Leah did mention that I don't set a great example because I don't go outside with them. There's many reasons for that and I didn't feel like explaining it again. I send the kids outside so I can do inside things without the chaos. And that's because I have ADD. I try to hide in my screen because of the overwhelming noise. And I'm fat. And I'm tired of talking about it. So I walked away. But there's a stark difference between the J4 and J6 and it does bother me. I've tried and tried and some days I just accept that we aren't the athletic skinny type. We are the geek squad. Playing with Legos is something all 6 of us LOVE. It brings us together in a way nothing else does. Benaiah helped Abishai built another model out of his 3 in 1 dinosaur kit today. We all talk about what sets to collect next. We all want to got to Lego exhibits. It's our thing. And it's something to recognize, be excited by, and I praise God for because our J6 could be so totally different based on the events of 5 years ago. Why does being fat have to be such a bad thing? In centuries past, being fat meant you were rich and had food in your bellies. Skinny people were poor people and didn't live necessarily as long as fat people. It's such an American culture thing. Fat shame people and yet create all these desserts and sugar laden fast foods. Then make money owning a gym and diet plans. It's a big scheme for a profit. And I'm tired of it.

Along those lines, I wish Jared would wear smaller clothes because he looks like a clown in his extra large overshirts and size 38 pants. Maybe a different style. But the skinny jeans, but buy them as 38 so you don't have it tight around your waist. Then we could see his tiny rear and legs. He wears the large overshirts to hide his suspenders. It is starting to bother me, too. And then here I am buying bigger clothes to cover up my issues. Sigh. I'm so super full from dinner and eating some extra snacks. Not much though. I keep telling myself it's ok to go for the sweets now, it's vacation. But see, how flawed it is that I have to tell myself it's ok? The guilt is everywhere.

Sidenote-I'm listening to Jim Daneker's second solo instrumental album and it's so gorgeously soothing. His first one was like a movie soundtrack with a lot of passion and strength. This one is totally opposite, and complimentary. He's such a genius! He's the “secret sauce” behind Michael W. Smith's music. Sure Michael can come up with melodies and improv and some vision. But the real genius comes from Jim Daneker's meticulous care in putting the tracks down and making them perfect. The new album is called: Equinox. It's incredible! I want to see if I can talk to him at the next concert. He knows my name and sees my comments. I just want to know how he does it. And I want him to know that he is seen and that we know he keeps Michael grounded, literally sometimes. Jim is the magic and makes these projects come to life. Anyways, I could listen to it forever!

What I can't do is sit on this floor in this position to type much longer and Abishai needs to go to bed. Everyone else is watching the live action Cinderella we saw in Charlottetown 6 years ago. We saw it with Gary and Leah and I remember that one of the projector lights went out so it was very hard to see it with all the other lights dimmed. So they gave us vouchers to use at a later time, but let us also stay to see the movie that time. It's a gorgeous film though! Nora got it as a Christmas present. Abishai didn't want to see it so he's with me in our bedroom doing a bit more tablet time with his headphones on. I know he needs to keep running around more, but he looks so cute with those big headphones on and talking to his tablet like, “No, don't do that! Look what I won!” He did A TON of running around for an hour or two with the girls playing chase and giggling and kicking and bubbling on their beds! He's enamored with Everly and Nora. He can't stop hugging them! And Keturah, too, comes to life around them.

Meanwhile, the sarcastic remarks that fly during card games between the adults is sometimes so much that it borders on criticism! Even Gary lets some comments out that I think some would be doing double takes at. I love that Benaiah gets along with everyone so well now. He's so grown up. And I'm glad we are super comfortable with each other to be that teasing to one another. And I'm grateful I didn't blow up today. I did try to snuggle with Jared when he finally got up from a nap this afternoon, because I'm not doing the silent treatment because I blew up yesterday. I think if he and I go out for a bit tomorrow afternoon, that would be great. I don't know if we can sit in the cafe' but I'd like to.

I think I might work on tethering the tablet tonight to my phone and/or fixing my ability to change things on it from my phone. I don't think I can read anything because I've already tried. I'm getting antsy to put photos together for the blog though. I think I might see if I can download them directly to my phone, although I did put data on so they could go to the cloud as well. We'll see on that one. I might cross stitch more, too. I can only do so much of my video games without data and I have no way myself to know how much I've used already. So we'll see.

Oh, I forgot the owl painting! The girls, Justin, Aaron, Shauna and Grandma went to the conference center to meet Oscar the Owl and paint him! His story is that he was pushed out of the nest by his siblings so he was raised by one of the park staff. He's a pretty grumpy owl. But he's huge! Keturah didn't paint, but Justin did. I need to go grab some more photos of their paintings! Or rather have Grandma/Shauna send them to me. Nora's is the best. Justin tried hard but messed up one eye and then made it worse. Aaron's favorite artist when he was young was Bob Ross and he would say, “There are no mistakes, just happy little accidents.” as he painted trees and things. He had his TV studio set up in a building in Muncie, IN and I think we'll go see it next time the J4 is in town. So, I'm glad Justin tried to fix it. Painting just isn't my kids' thing. And that's ok. We try. That's all that matters. No pressure. Grandma loved it. And Aaron and the park ranger exchanged badges. It's a first responders' thing to trade badges and collect them wherever they go. Pretty cool! Aaron did get a 3D photo frame thing for some kind of coin collection from the police department I think that is on merit or years of service, but there's also ones for the badge collections, too. I know that at one of the Charlottetown Fire Department station's, they had all kinds of larger badges or plaques or something from all over. They had one from the New York City Fire Department because I think they helped after 9/11. It's just a way to say that we all do something similar and we all help each other. Pretty neat!

Ok, bedtime for all. One last thing, Everly and Keturah washed dishes with Aaron's help! I should have gotten a picture, but oh well. I don't think Keturah has washed dishes for over a year. She mostly did the drying. Everly and Nora will wash dishes at home as one of their chores. We just have so few tha we wash by hand and I want it done well, that I just go and do it. Jared has some done more washing recently and that's been nice. Aaron is like his dad and wants to keep busy, so he'll jump in and help at any time without being asked. Jared and I hang back. Vacation is my chance to not work. So I let those who want to work, do the work. It's a win-win. I really enjoyed doing my cross stitch all afternoon and listening and watching the rest of the family interact. It means I don't have to directly interact with them and come up with words for a conversation but I still feel like I was part of it. Again, a win-win! And I can't believe the cross stitch is finally done! I feel like putting it up on the Bible Bowl page to show everyone! I'll put it on Instagram in a little bit.

Ok, I'm done. Happy Tuesday!

8 years ago. Somewhere between Charlottetown and Summerside, PEI. Aaron, Shauna, Jared, and I took a tour of wintry PEI so they could see Anne of Green Gables and the coastline.

Nice hairdo, buddy! And awesome eggy toast breakfast!

He made his breakfast all by himself. I know he won't starve when he moves out. Very healthy!

Since I'll be talking with the pyschiatrist today, I needed to know what the different medications were that he might prescribe me. He reluctantly went with the non stimulant atomoxetine. I couldn't pick it up until I got back from vacation though.


Where there's a screen, there will be my kids.

We haven't done this routine in a long while. Wake up, 'Miah! Just don't break the bed! And Benaiah was getting iritated with Justin rolling into him (well, Benaiah, you do push down the mattress more and so does Dad. That's why I roll into him all the time). So, Benaiah put Justin on the outside edge for most of the week.

More crafting time! This time with paint!

Keep that tongue in there, boy! But I'm glad Justin attempts these things. I'm sure his friends wouldn't. They would call it too girly or act like it was such a bother.

Everly's turn.

Here she goes again!

Nora, Nora, the painter explorer.

Grogu's still hanging out with us.

Young ones playing Uno! What a good big cousin Benaih to join them.


It was at this point that Jared got really ill. So Benaiah took over and played with Abishai making another one of the dinosaurs with him. Benaiah did let Abishai help somewhat, but he has a bit less patience than Jared does. Still, they had fun together.


It's a T-rex!


Justin laid out the blanket on the couch and then sat on it so he could wrap up in it to play video games. Uncle Justin is hanging out with Baby Grugo.


More rounds of Quibler! So much trash talk! And these kitchen chairs are VERY hard on my back. Sigh.


Grandma, Uncle Aaron, Aunt Shauna, Keturah, Justin, Everly and Nora went to paint Oscar the Owl on Tuesday. Well, only Justin, Everly, and Nora painted, but Keturah liked seeing the owl.

Oscar was kicked out of the nest by his siblings and was hand raised by the park rangers. He's gorgeous!



I did it! I finally finished this cross stitch I've been working on for at least 7 years! I think I bought it at the thrift store in Charlottetown. I've taken it on so many vacations and to so many Bible Bowl competitions. The photo didn't match the instructions and there was so many different colors that were very close in hue that I had to guess a ton! But it's done! Now onto a much bigger project with more distinct colors and bigger blocks of color and better instructions making it MUCH easier to do.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

The Patriarch and the youngest of the clan.



I spy Abishai!

Unfortunately, this would be the only semi serious conversation that the brothers had. Jared became ill soon after. And what's with men brushing their fingers under their chin through their stubble? Aaron was growing out a goatee on vacaiton.

Tickle fight!


Aaron's girls hate the face "scratchies" so he uses every opportunity that he can to scratch them with it. Nora's upside down and her feet are getting scratched.



Wee! Fly like an airplane!

Well, nearly all the grandchildren! How cute!


Doing our screen time together because Abishai is afraid of the movie they were watching. I'm not sure if it was Cinderella, Elf, or The Christmas Story.

Pa and Ma. We brought the matching rockers in from the porch to have extra seating.

Awesome gas fireplace, plus the TV of course.


 
(These are backwards, again! But it doesn't matter too much). Checking out the hotel that was part of Fort Donelson. Also, these pics were taken on the 31st. I'm not sure how they got here, but it doesn't matter.

All the major generals of this particular battle in February 1962.

Where some of the troops were set up at.



Real vintage old notes!

I think they said the hotel operated until the early 1900's.

Older buildings have lower ceilings.


One of the last stops on our Fort Donelson battlefield tour. A vintage hotel!


In all my touring, I have NEVER seen these kinds of guns or cannons that were THIS big! The little ones were the 32lbs ones and the big ones were 128lb balls! Incredible! Plus they could roll on wheels on an arc of metal in the ground. I've never seen that before!

The confederates had the upper hand for this part because they were up the big hill and the Union ships had a hard time getting their cannonballs up that far.



A major battle was fought here, can you believe it?

A few of the kids scrambled down the hill with me, and then took the shortcut back up.


See how the cannon could turn on the metal circle?! How innovative is that?!

Similar, but smaller arc.

"A fed eagle is a dead eagle."

The cannons were down the hill pretty far and were pretty effective.


 A good look at the manmade embankments to protect the Confederate soldiers.

60 or so of similar houses were built here for the Confderates to winter in. Much sturdier than just tents.


Pretty solid looking chimney.


The awesome looking fireplace.

Protective walls.





Starting our driving tour of the Fort!



What a great idea since everything is so spread out! You just dial into this number and they play short snippet of information about 11 different spots. There are places for you to pull off so you can get out at these spots, too. I loved it! We kept warm and focused and it was great for the audio learner. And definitely Covid-19 safe!

War Memorial

I think there were two signs and two cannons, one reprsenting the Confederate side and one representing the Union side.




The End


 

No comments:

Post a Comment