Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Monday, May 16, 2022

Year 7, May 9th-15th, 2022: Yes, No, I Don't Know

 Monday

 

Maybe this is why my phone sometimes says it's off when it isn't?

Teasers for winter? Just in time for when it's finally summer? But this is a Christmas tour I can actually get behind because Michael Tait can actually croon and I LOVE this voice!


Well, it almost came out like the recipe said it would. I just had to use my own pasta. Thank goodness the box came today because we were out of food!


Snuggle butt.

Lazy daughter who refuses to use her hands to pick up big objects before vacuuming. This is why things wear out too fast in our house. This was also a large 2x4 Lego brick in there and a Lego paintbrush. I gave both of them to Abishai.
 

Tuesday

- Abishai had his first dose of Vyvanse today. I had to shake the powder out onto  a spoon and add some water to dissolve it. He didn't like the taste of it. And that feeling stuck with him the rest of the day, poor guy. I think he developed dry mouth from it. He also felt nauseous after taking the medication. I remember Justin saying the same thing, so hopefully it's just temporary. Abishai was very sad and lethargic today, like he was sick or something, and the lights had gone out. I hope that is temporary as well. I told him that we aren't trying to change his happy personality, but just trying to tone it done a tad so he can sit still in certain situations. I keep emphasizing to him and Jared that the medication is just a trial. We won't know anything unless we try. It works at 100% for 12 hrs and then it stays in your system for up to 60 hrs at trace amounts. Abishai seemed to bounce back a bit after supper, so that's helpful. He did eat at lunch and dinner time somewhat as normal. But we'll see how tomorrow goes with it all. I definitely don't want a dull kid. Just something to take the edge off. Abishai was very clingy today, too. So I took a lot of time with him.

- I didn't get a lot of other things done except the salt dough map, which was very successful, I might add. And Jared and I went to counseling. Kellie and Kya ended up kidnapping Justin straight from work because of timing with our appointment. But, that gave Kellie a chance to walk around Wanamaker Feed and Seed and the garden center. Justin said she was very impressed. Yeah! Then she brought him home to quickly change and then took him to her house where he spent the rest of the day. Now he's yelling at his video games. Sigh. 

- The temps jumped to over 80 today, so on went the a/c. And on went my restless legs are out of control and my fibro is flaring. And my emotional/mental state is spiraling. And I want to watch TV and go to bed.

- Tomorrow is a typical Wednesday with ASL, home in the afternoon and small group/karate. I will go over Abishai's homework then. And Keturah will hopefully get some groceries during Justin's small group. Abishai and Daddy will go to karate.

 

Well, well, well. I found out where the "Oh, my lanta!" quote comes from that I sometimes say! It's from Full House and it's spoken by none other than DJ Tanner, aka Candace Cameron Bure! I was scrolling through the news of the day and this article came up with the quote so I clicked on it and there it was! She quoted her TV character on her Instagram. Kellie had just asked me where I got it from and I honestly had no idea because it's a New England thing or other specific geographical region thing. Apparently I picked it up in childhood and it became more prominent when I started following Candace, maybe? Or maybe I heard someone else use it because they picked it up from Full House? Anyway, I most definitely heard it a lot from Full House myself because I watched and rewatched that show often. Cool!

Salt dough map day! Mix salt and flour, 1:1, with some water and you make dough. The kingdom of Israel divides into Israel and Judah. Keturah did a great job on hers. Abishai didn't want to participate but he willingly trotted over to his crayons to color the map. He diligently asked about colors and which countries were which. The dough will dry out and harden. We've done them before, but they do crack and make a mess. That's why I've avoided them.


Aww, Abishai's hand is getting to be as big as mine.

My baby guy.

Abishai wanted to read to me 16 pages from his Lego Bible on the whole story of Joshua, so I let him. I had to help him with the big words, but he was really into it.

My PEI friends celebrating one of their birthdays together. Man I miss them. I'm jealous that it's still the same crew. No one else has moved away but me. They are still tight knit as they were 6 years ago. It's not fair at all.

Abishai was reading Genesis in his brick Bible while he was waiting for me.

Salt dough map in progress.


The orange color came out perfect!


I didn't know my husband was such a Trekkie at heart.


My brother's 35th birthday was today. Happy birthday, Paul-Mikael! aka P-M!

 Wednesday - 

- What I wrote on Facebook today:

Well, this is fun. We put the little guy on the lowest dose of Vyvanse to take the edge of his now officially diagnosed ADHD. He started on it yesterday. He was very lethargic and subdued. Ok, I get it, we will watch it. Well, when the medicine fully wore off about bedtime, he was able to go to sleep.
However, he woke up about 12:30pm and finds me in my usual spot at my desk watching my TV shows. No problem. He asks to sleep together on the couches in the other room. Again, no problem bc I was going to anyway bc my restless leg syndrome was going nuts with the sudden weather change to summer temps.
So, we try to settle in. Except, little man can’t settle. He starts talking. And moving. And bouncing from one couch to the other. Like he does normally in thr daytime. I try to ignore it, I turn over. Finally fall asleep. I think he tries to snuggle in my blankets multiple times throughout the night. At one point I ask what time is it. And it’s 3:45am. I am just so annoyed at this point and keep ignoring him. Eventually the household starts stirring as I doze until 9.
BUT later I learn that keturah heard him turn the lights on in the living room at 4am (the living room is just a few ft from her bedroom).
Jared said Abishai visited him at 5 and 6 am. Jared gets up around 7:30/8 and he did make Abishai breakfast today too.
So Abishai was pretty much been awake all night. So no wonder he feel asleep on our way to ASL lessons this morning.
He’s got his days and nights mixed up like an infant!
Whoops!
Now I’m not 💯 sold this is the right medication or dosage for him. It’s just a step we decided to take after exhausting other options to help him focus for school and during other times he needs to sit still. We know what we are doing. This is a trial and error process with lots of talking and feedback with Abishai and his pediatrician.
It’s a journey and an interesting side effect as you never know how you’ll react going on a new medication. That’s why you give it 30 days before making a decision.
Oh our little guy. He’s still keeping us on our toes!
 
- It garnered lots of opinions, as I suspected it would. I really need to remember to put at the top of these posts: STORYTIME, I'm NOT looking for opinions. SMH
 
The look of a boy who basically stayed up all night because he's trying out a medication to help him stay calmer during the day. Poor guy. At least he was quiet and behaved himself. Oh how much we love our little guy.

He took a few pics, but really, not too many, and no videos.


Puppy fur.

Abishai's point of view.


I remember him waking me up at 3:45 asking for me to turn on my phone light so he could plug the Christmas lights back in again. Apparently he unplugged them so he could sleep better or something. Or maybe Keturah did for him. I don't know. I was very groggy. He also told me later that he did indeed try to get on top of me to snuggle and was in and out of the blanket with me. I wasn't dreaming that part.

Bwhahahaha, it definitely fits these curriculum if you know anything about them and the enneagram numbers!

Come on, my beauties! The irises are about to bloom! My friend's irises are already blooming. So many blooms and and they are so tall! Eek!




I gave Abisahi another dose this morning so he was again sleepy, but not nauseous. But at least he got through a math test without moving!

A drawing Abishai made sometime in the middle of the night while we were asleep. It's Daddy, Mommy, Abishai, and dolphin, oh, and the Grogu blanket. Lol.

Another one of those meals. It was pretty good and easy to make.

Jackpot! I went to find something for Keturah for next year, and grabbed some things for Abishai off of the same shelf for language arts. Come to find out, I had some 2nd grade workbooks that Keturah hadn't finished because I guess we didn't do workbook pages every day that last year in Canada. Well, looking through it, it seems to fit well with where Abishai and I got through this last year with the 1st grade workbooks of the same series. Abeka tends to spend way too much time on review in the beginning and at the ends of their books. So except for a few new concepts, I think I can mash the 1st and 2nd grade books together and save $80! There's 4 different types of books altogether, handwriting, Letters and Sounds (phonics), Language (writing and grammar), and Spelling (which I forgot to get last year). Sweet! For handwriting, I'll just finish up 1st grade and pull out a copy work set of pages I think I used with Justin had started 2nd grade when we got to Canada and I'll find a set of writing tablet paper. Then I can mash the Language Arts and Letters and Sounds books together. I already have all the readers of course for Literature/Reading and I have Science and History covered in other ways. I found not one but two Abeka 2nd grade spelling books, one from Justin from 2012 and one from Keturah in 2016 where we had used the lists but not the workbook pages so I can definitely reuse those. Yeah! Then I just have to both the math workbooks for Keturah and Abishai, and possibly the brand new Biology (comes out this summer) and Physics textbooks plus maybe some kits to go with them for Keturah and Justin. And then that online Speech class for Justin. We should be good after that. Ok, fine, the fee for ASL. Point us, it's a really light spending year for us! It's because I've saved all this curriculum over the years to pass down. I've invested in curriculum I really like and believe in and would reuse again. And I've made space on the shelves to hold onto it. And now I get to reap the benefits, where a $60 teacher's manual and DVD gets used for the third time and some might get used 4 times. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It pays to homeschool for the long haul. And it's so much cheaper to homeschool than to pay for all the uniforms or special clothes and lab fees, book fees, computer fees, lunch fees, etc. for public school, never mind public. Or even a group like Classical Conversations. Yup, I'm very happy that I found these and I get to save money! And I'm happy that I got to finish up Keturah's homework today as well. Yeah! Just one more to finish!

I might get to use Justin's 2nd grade spelling book with Abishai! It would be pretty much the same if I bought a new one from the same company. They hardly ever change much.

Aww, back when Keturah was in 2nd grade and was about to turn 8. And now Abishai gets to use her book and finish it up. I think we had just taken it slower that year and then we didn't quite get to finish because she came back to the States with Grandma in May 2016 because we were moving back. But how sweet and special is this! Keturah still capitalizes her B's when she shouldn't be. Sigh.

 Thursday - No Visitor

- I didn't have an early morning visit from Abishai, despite staying up way too late into the wee hours of the morning. I kind of wish he had because I like our little sleepovers and I like to cuddle him. But he did get a good night's sleep. He took his medication like a champ again and was lethargic all day again. I think we'll continue it like that for a full week and then switch to evenings. And then we'll talk to his doctor when we talk to him about Justin in about 10 days. Poor Abishai says he's still bouncy on the inside, just not on the outside. I just feel so sad for him. I didn't think he'd be this subdued with the medication. Don't worry, I won't let it go on too long. 

- Abishai and I went outside to put the little trampoline in the shed and for me to look for my other clothes boxes, and he had no energy to play on the swings or the big trampoline. That's totally not like him. He was very helpful to me though with the shed door and patiently waited for me to be done. And then when we went inside, he ate lunch just fine. He then read his brick Bible aloud for an hour while he waited until it was time to leave for his eye doctor's appointment. He had no desire to go find out what Keturah was doing or bug the dog or go in and out of the house. It was so sad. So the medication works to calm him down, but it works too much. He says his tummy feels fine and he's not dizzy or anything like that. He doesn't think it changes who he is. I think he just wants to please me so he takes the medication in order to sit still for me. And that's not a healthy way of doing things either. I'm trying to stay very close to him and let him know that this is only a trial period. He's not a bad guy, his bouncing isn't a bad thing unless it's during a certain time period where sitting still is required, and I love him just the way he is. 
 
- Abishai had a full eye exam today and did great. I didn't get into too much trouble for not patching his left eye and she said that it's really not going to improve too much at this point, so forget about it and move on. He read some of the letters right, and some them, like Z, he read as a 2. He even called on of them a square! And then we got his glasses all sorted out with the right nose pads. Afterwards I took him to the dollar store to cheer him up from feeling so lethargic. I wanted to look for some 12 inch fans, too. They didn't have any of those but they had some good icee pops for the kids and I picked up bread for eggy toast and bandaids for Keturah, etc. 

- And poor guy was passed up at karate tonight. Another boy a couple of years older than him got his yellow belt tonight. This guy started after Abishai did and I honestly haven't seen him on Thursdays but maybe once. He's quiet, but looks very competitive. He probably practices at home a lot or has previous experience. Maybe he's been part of the studio before or was at another studio. But Abishai was quite upset after class. Teacher Nathan even came over to speak to him. Abishai doesn't know the whole sequence of Form 1 or Form 2 because there's 20 moves to each of those forms. I've looked them up and I've offered to help him every day, but he refuses to try. So now he's been knocked down by the school of hard knocks and seen that you get passed by if you don't put the effort in if you don't practice at home every day. He claims there's not enough room, but, 1) we can make a bit more room in the fireplace room and b) that's where the backyard comes in handy, dude. I'll save some videos to the old tablet if I can't do it on his tablet and then he can bring them up and watch them when I'm not there to help him. It took the whole car ride home to calm him down. I think he was really tired as well because of the medication, which can lead to big emotions. Fun times for my little guy. Life lessons all around.

- And then there was Keturah today who took 4 hrs to mow the front lawn because the mower supposedly kept quitting becuase it "overheated." The front lawn took Justin maybe 30-45mins tops with the same lawn mower on a hotter day just last year. And then she left all the dead, dry grass on the yard while she came in for her electronics break. After that, she was at Grandpa's the rest of the afternoon and evening doing his yard. When she did finally come home, Jared had told her to rake up the grass clippings. Mind you, she hadn't even trimmed the front yard yet, she missed under the pine tree and along the ditch again, and she can't stop picking the wounds on her arms. I bought her a big box of expensive name band bandaids at the dollar store so she can bandaids on them at all times. Ugh, this kid. And tomorrow she has to get the whole backyard done somehow, preferrably not when I'm gone to the park, but, she probably should because we are going grocery shopping in the evening and then it's going to rain on Saturday. Sigh. Well, at least we'll have the mowing done and if I can convince Jared, we can go shopping for a pool on Saturday, fingers crossed.

- Justin said he was exhausted from work and was going to not help out at Grandpa's so I had to remind him to suck it up, buttercup and that Grandpa expected him to help out. So he did go over to Grandma's after she picked him up. (I need to stop making appointments during my lunch break or picking up Justin from work.) Justin did get a headache from being out in the warmer temperatures, so he needs to pay attention to that and dress accordingly. He even told Kya he couldn't talk because of his headache. We plan on going to park day tomorrow so we will see her then. It's nearby to us, so that's always helpful. 

- Ugh, I'm falling asleep. I'm zonked. I finished going through Abishia's schoolwork today and put some books behind my desk to put away and pulled out his new readers and things like that. That way come August, I won't be so frantic. And then I'll tackle the corner in the sunroom at some point because the books really, really need to be book back on the shelf the right way. I just have a few things to purchase and we're all set for next year. I feel very confident about what we are doing and it's very routine. I think at least. And I'm ready for the book sale in two weeks for I get to represent IAHE again. I'll get to walk around and maybe purchase what we need and then I get to sit there and do my thing. Keturah will come with me and Abishai can maybe hand out with Grandma or even Kelli or something. We'll see. I plan on doing these small projects here and there and then spending more time with just playing with the kids, too. Working on those actual relationships. And I think I did alright today. I didn't yell at Keturah and she did go outside right away this morning. It just took forever for her to complete the task. And then she went to Grandpa's and came back. And then she was raking until 8pm. Nearly 12 hrs with a couple of hrs of a screen break trying to mow lawns today. Natural consequences. Push harder. Less breaks. And you'll have more time for other things. Your chore and your choices, not mine. Sigh.

- Tomorrow I get to see my friends whom I haven't seen in weeks, yeah! It will feel great to catch up, I'm sure! Toodles!

Keturah was in her bed and asked, "Where's my dog?" And I said, "Uh, right there with his nose and body halfway in your room." "Oh......"



The bill was narrowly defeated yesterday. Phew! Praise the Lord, though! Yes, I sent an email to this Senator. No, I didn't keep it short. But I did emphasize the fact that it shouldn't be a topic for the federal government, but for the state government. In this case, I believe it is murder and should be banned, and the state government should rule against abortion. I don't put it under medical freedom because the baby inside the womb has rights as well so I am protecting his or her rights, too.

Abishai and I played this game, too. You have to slide the tiles to match the pattern in the little box. It's pretty easy. I've done these sliding puzzles so much in my lifetime that I know all the moves. This frustrated Abishai. But he wasn't very far behind me. He was starting to figure out the fancy moves himself already. He definitely could practice this on his own, too.

My friend on PEI bought this puzzle and put it together. What a great way to learn Chemistry, eh?

Well, when you actually lose that 20 lbs thanks to Covid, it's time to go through the box looking for clothes. I didn't find any though. I need a size 12 shorts and capris. Where in the world did I put them? I mean, what did I wear when I was this weight before? I don't know. I guess I have to got shopping. I don't want to spend more money on clothes, but I can't wear baggy clothes and wear out the only belt I have that I use as a fashion accessory. Sigh.

Reading his Bible aloud to himself and Dinosaury just to pass the time. He didn't even realize he was reading Benaiah's story or his won. He obviously has a hard time with the big words and the names of peoples and places.

Then he read aloud to me while I rested.

I let my floof butt on the couch with me because why not.

First iris bloom 2022! Woot! Woot!

I thought it was just a recheck but it was actually his annual eye exam. I had written it down right in my phone. I just had it down wrong in my brain.

Abishai has worked very hard in every class. Teacher Nation and Teacher Max knows that. But he has to know the sequence of the moves. That's memory work. And that requires practicing at home with Mom and Dad. But man, he looks so fierce and yet so cute!

What a minute, when did this happen? These stalks were just 6 inches tall at most just a few days ago. And now they are 3 feet tall! Yeah! This is the point of growing bamboo at this point of the yard, in order to shield the sunroom from too much sun.

What an explosion of growth!

What's left of that huge stick pile. No more places for wildlife to hide and survive. Sigh. Not sure what Jared's going to do with the little pieces of concrete and bricks in there. He wants to get rid of that stuff and then rake it over

Evening tide.

New growth unfurling as we speak.

Maple tree has helicopters aka seed pods for the first time.

Hopefully no new growth will happen from this stump. I'd rather have this growth stopped instead of having termites and that weed of a plant in my flower bed, oh and the mushrooms and other weeds. And now onwards to more mowing for Keturah and then preparing the backyard for a pool! Hopefully!



Friday - Yes, Friday the 13th It Was

- Today was the Friday the 13th of all Fridays the 13ths. First of all, I thought it was Saturday. Abishai did get up in the middle of the night again, so straight to the couches we went. He snuggled in with me and he almost feel asleep. I drank it all in and enjoyed every single minute of it. After those long days with teens, I need to just have those moments with my little guy who still likes to be touched and still wants to please mama. It was glorious. He did eventually move to the other couch and he said he slept a bit there. But, in the morning, he and Keturah woke up at a decent time and had breakfast done or at least in part and I didn't stir until almost 9am. Shoot. I have stuff I wanted to do today. And then Keturah comes in and remind me about Bible class. Well, I'm glad she remembered that. It wasn't until 12:30pm but we needed to make sure the tablet was charged and ready to go (it wasn't charged at all) and the boys needed to go first because we needed to leave on time for park day. Sigh. Come on! Get moving! What else could you be doing while I overslept? Oh yeah, mowing the freakin' lawn! Get out and start raking! SMH

- Once a got everybody up and going, I finally ate breakfast at 11am. And I drank some, but not all of my tea. I actually didn't finish it until 5pm because I simply forgot. So, I ran around trying to determine who was supposed to be doing what, and when. It was crazy. And I decided that Abishai would start taking his ADHD medication at night so he could sleep off so some of the drowsiness.


Sometimes I wish they would just stay this little! Abishai 3 mos old. So cute!


Isn't she the most adorable grandmotherly Queen you have ever seen? I think so. I'm glad she got to her absolute favorite annual event - a horse show her granddaughter was in. She's so pretty!

German cars I think for Daddy's German car shelf.

Bingo

Yes!

When you don't give this kid any medication, this is what he looks like. Full of crazy adventures, morning, noon and night.


And I literally left my house just like this and went to the park, knowing I would still have to pick it up when I got home. And Abishai and I did. It was totally fine. Not one clean area area around. And that's ok. Abishai was a happy boy.


He even had a trail of cushions going to the bathroom because the "floor is lava!"

My Grogu cannot be suppressed by medication like this. It's pitiful. I can't handle it. I was going to try to hold out, but I can't. I know myself and Abishai better than that. I'll find something else. We'll just scratch Vyvanse off the list. It's better to have tried than not. Onto the next medication or treatment. My Grogu is too precious to me. I need to hear him laugh and be his crazy self. I said I wasn't going to let his personality be changed. Well, medication changed him. Time to try a different kind.

These two. Always on their phones. Sometimes they laugh. Sometimes they are sharing a meme while on their phones next to each other. Sometimes I find them talking. I'm not sure what they even talk about. They are totally cute, but still totally awkward. I love it. And they are constantly asking about when they can see each other again. Constantly. I can't wait for Justin to be able to drive. At least he'll be able to go see Kya at her house. I'm sure driving her anywhere will still be off the table for a long while yet. Sigh. Too cute.

Abishai came running over to me to tell me he made it all the way to the top of the climbing rope pyramid! So I had to go see for myself! Of course this makes me super nervous if I start thinking about all the things that could go wrong, like letting go and falling to the ground. But, Abishai was meticulous in how he grabbed the ropes and place his feet and he steadily climbed all the way to the top. We've been going to this park for 5-6 years now. So exciting!
 
 
 
 





Hitting the top of the pole!





Not perfect, but better.




Oh, and I did make tea for myself at 10:30am and I still hadn't finished it by 6pm. I had a 20oz Cherry Pepsi I had started at 2pm and was also still working on at 6pm. It's a crazy day!

The irises are starting to bllom!

Come on purples!

Jared says these are his favorite kind of iris, white with purple on the tips.

Peek-a-boo yellow.

Saturday - Less Sabbath, more Productive

- I didn't get to rest as much today, but I'm ok with that. I did get to finish up with Justin's school books for the years and put what I could have the kids' books in the box for permanent storage. Yeah! So now all three have their summer "fun"/must school assignments and everything is somewhat ready to go for August. Kelli told me yesterday that she does have the Physics book and I can borrow that, so that will help save $70, which is a great. That leaves two math workbooks and 1 science textbook. Yippie! 

- I also got my Saturday shower in.

- Keturah and Jared finished the outside trimming and mowing spots that Keturah had missed. She wasn't too happy about it because Jared had to be stern with her, but that's tough love for you. She has to learn to follow through to the fullest. Someday she will. Someday she will thank us for being tough on her. Someday these experiences will bring about positive outcomes later. Someday.

- Then, we heard a buzzing sound in the sunroom and found a big wasp on the window. Justin was able to spray it was some wasp foam killer. But in the mean time, he hadn't let me move the telescope or the aloe vera plant and he knocked over the plant on it's side spilling dirt everywhere! Thankfully it was just dry dirt and easily vacuumed up. I had to be quick though because I was leaving soon with Jared for his MRI appointment. But while I was back there, I was able to finish putting away the other CC materials and the Abeka flashcards we didn't use. So now it's all clean back there and waiting for me to finish the bigger job of putting the rest of the history stuff away. And it also forces me to deal with the aloe vera plant in the next couple of days. Sigh. Poor thing. 

- Jared has an MRI on his lower back again, so I rode with me to his appointment. It was nice to get out of the house and to enjoy the quiet. I just cross stitched in peace. The hospital wing was empty. After that, Jared made balogna and potatoes for dinner and then we all went to the grocery store. We spent over $450 on groceries. And that's with less meat than usual. Runaway inflation indeed. It makes me cry. I have never seen this in my entire life. And gas is at $4.30 again. We can't afford this. We are poor. We will never, ever get ahead. Never. We have absolutely nothing in savings. We never can get house improvements done. There's not enough of a cost of living raise. This isn't about contentment. This is about actually living. I can't stand it. It's so messed up. And the government wants to send more money and weapons to Ukraine to help them. And of course not letting nature take it's course and let the recession be what it is. There's no baby formula on the shelves either. It's just nuts. And super scary. Everyone is to blame at this point. Everyone. And nobody can seem to find a solution for it in he short term. Super frustrating.

- But, our fridge is full of good food again. No more scraping by. We'll see how long it lasts. And the house is a lot cleaner. And I helped Abishai with his Form 1 for Tang So. And I showered. And the lawn is done for now. We can go into Sunday with all our ducks in a row.

- P.S. Abishai's medication didn't last until the morning. Therefore, this one is a no go. We didn't give him any more medication because there's no point. I will go ahead and call on Monday to see if we can try something else. I couldn't stand the long face of him being a zombie. I loved hearing him laugh today. I can't be the one to squash that. I just can't. I won't do it. So, one medication down, dozens to go.

A little foosball hockey style.

Some of the white ones are open! This is after the sprinkles of rain we had.

The purple ones are coming, they are just a little slower than the white ones.

Really? I guess so. I hope so. Because my kids aren't retaining all the things they have learned. But, hopefully, they will have some kind of general ideas they can hook new ideas onto.

The Chick Fil A in the parking lot of were we shop is open! That was pretty quick, actually. How exciting!

Just messing around with an iPhone and the aperture. Gorgeous sunset either way.


Sunday - Rollercoaster Ride

- In a nutshell, I have been filled to the top this weekend with love and God and experiences, but have also felt some sadness, too, especially today. We had a great Saturday as a family for the most part. And today, was pretty much a typical Sunday in that everybody went their different directions. But, that's also where the sadness comes in. I am beginning to feel filled up with the preaching of the word of God and with new relationships at New Palestine Bible Church. But, I'm without my family. I have no kids to drop off. No husband to sit with. I'm all alone. I ride the coattails of my friend and her family. I have to explain why my family isn't there and it's awkward. I find I'm explaining too much because I want to explain it. How else do you say it? People want to get to actually get to know you here. You can't avoid it. And then I got home. And I want to know one piece of information, who is the new high school minister, and no one can give the information. They were all supposed to attend a parent/student meeting at 10:15am this morning, in between services, while I was in the middle of service in New Pal. I didn't think to remind them. Well, none of them went. So, I don't know if they missed the vital piece of information or not. But I can't find the information anywhere else. I've looked on social media, it hasn't been given out on the e-newsletter, or on the high school emails, and even at Crave, the high school youth group time, they only told the kids his first name and pointed at him. They haven't introduce him in big church. Nothing. Oh and he's not on the website yet either. What's the deal? Why can't I know about the guy who will be child's high school youth pastor? "Just trust the elders." Yes, I trust the elders made a good choice, but I still want to know the guy's name and who is family is and where's from and what he's going to teach my child, thank you. Because that's what I do with every single thing that comes into contact with my child, from books to videos to classes to her small group leaders (which actually wasn't as good as I thought it was) to her friends. I actually do have a right to know. Why is this information being withheld from me? It makes me wonder. It makes me sad. It makes me mad. And it makes me exhausted. And it makes me confused. 

- That's why I'm on a roller coaster. This is going to get old very fast, bouncing between two churches' information. The names of their youth groups. The names of their pastors. Who I've told what. But the main thing is, I know the signs God has given me. And here is how it went down today. I walked into New Palestine Bible Church determined I wasn't going to lean on my friend as much and I was going to talk to other people. I was going to be confident and learn at least one other person's name and/or story. Someone new that I hadn't met before. Well, first, an older lady greeted us that sat in front of us, Susanne (sp?). Kelli does know her, but hopefully I can meet her again on my own and get to know her. And then, Pastor Rex's wife, Nowell, comes over (she was a few rows in front of us), and introduces herself to us. She may or may not of seen Kelli before, but Nowell hasn't been around that much because she's been away with the kids at speech and debate tournaments. Kelli knows a bit about her through our friend Angie Trimmer. Well, Kelli decides to word vomit on her with her life's story. I get to just listen to most of that with a few of my own words thrown in, and then listen to Nowell's reaction and start to get to know who she is, her mannerisms, answers to Kelli's questions, etc. I catch on pretty quickly to what people are like and figure out, yup, Nowell is pretty cool, a little bit crazy and busy, and fun, and opposite of Rex and all the things, but yup, I can handle it. We stand around until they start to turn off the sanctuary lights on us! Bwahahahaha! But that's Kelli for you!

- So we walk out of the sanctuary together, and Kelli keeps going and leaves with Kya. I actually stop and talk with a friend who has come over from Indian Creek who is a single mom of 4, but now homeschools because of Covid. She works full time, but her mom takes care of the kids and brings them to Brenda's co op, so I know what's going on. I stop so I can hear why she left the Creek and I tell her my side of things and not 2 minutes later, the guys behind us offer us the comfy chairs in the foyer encouraging us to keep fellowshiping! Like seriously! Not kicking us out or anything! This other mom had already been in conversation with two other moms, and Nowell was stopping, too, to chat with them, so the 5 of us sat down and talked for another 20 minutes, and I guess they all homeschool so onward we went with that kind of chatter. Oh boy! You know I was in heaven at this point! Now, I certainly don't want Sundays to be about homeschool only chats. Not at all. I don't know for sure if the 5th mom was a homeschool mom or not. But, how stinkin' refreshin to a) not rush out of church but to be encouraged to sit and stay awhile and b) talk about my favorite subject right then and there?  I know that sometimes fellowship happens at Indian Creek with a few people. But it's rare. Most people just leave. I look around to talk to people and even people I know are engaged with something or just wanting to leave. They aren't wanting to sit and have a long "how are you" chat. And I don't feel pursued by anyone when I go to church either. In the two Sundays I've been at New Pal I've had half a dozen people say hi to me that I've never seen before. It's the blessing of a small church. It's why so many have left the megachurch and sought out a smaller church again. It's not my only reason for leaving the Creek, but it certainly is a reason. I loved Cornwall Christian Church because it reminded me of when Manchester Christian Church was small. And then when we went back to the Creek and I didn't know anyone and the people we knew didn't give us much attention because they were too busy, I just felt it was too big. I finally understood why some people walked in those doors and then out and never returned. If you don't know anyone, there's no reason to stay. You can hear dynamic preaching elsewhere, especially online. You don't have to be physically in the building.

- Speaking of preaching, Dan was supposed to preach at Indian Creek today but he came down with Covid! No joke! He had to stay away from his newborn, Luke, and the other kids and Keren, and there was no preacher for today as of Saturday morning. Shan found this out 24 hrs before services start and he just happened to be at the soccer field with his parents watching Will play, so he asked his Dad if he had to preach anywhere this weekend. His dad was the preaching minister of a large church on the westside of Indy, Kingsway Christian Church, for 30 years and now he, like Gary, travels around and guest preaches where ever he's needed. He's a doctorate as well, and has written books, so he can pull a sermon out of his back pocket fairly easily. So, Dr. John Caldwell did just that. He guest preached this morning on servanthood. He's 78 yrs old and is still very articulate and actually got quite emotional about the Gospel message, too. I did listen to the sermon in between things today. But that's what happens when you get to that age and you are closer and closer to reaching Glory. 78 yrs old. Wow! This wasn't my first time hearing him preach, but it's been awhile. He was on fire! And grandson Jack, who just finished his junior year at Ozark, is also pursuing his preaching degree, and was home and could have preached as well, but I think it's awesome Jack has pursued this as well. Mr. Jack, one of my piano students, a homeschool student. Ah. So, I can appreciate the good things that happen at Indian Creek as well.  

- So, we rested this afternoon. And my head was reeling with this morning's experience. Jared sat with me and I shared what I could. And all he could say was, "Sounds like church 40 years ago." or something like that. I explained how they had some new members placing membership so they went up front and introduced themselves, which I thought was wonderful because then we could get to know them. And there was a wide age range, from retired ministry couple to a very young family. Their stories were similar in that they had tried many churches in the area, but this one was the friendliest and most welcoming and the teaching was expository and strong. And that's exactly what I will be saying someday. I wish it could be today. I would do in a heartbeat.  There's nothing wrong with the old if the congregation is still growing, people are still getting baptized into Christ as new believers, and young families are mixing with the gray hairs. Having "family" moments and an unprofessional band and unpolished way of doing things is actually very authentic and relaxing. It's not forced. Take this evening when Kelli and I sat with Nowell again after youth group time and the kids were running around all around us. Nobody was rushing to leave. Ok, maybe Kya and Justin were. I don't know who's kids were still hanging out, but I think the Alexander kids were still there and Caiden was there late, Nowell's 5 kids, and whoever else. We were there 1 hr past the end of youth group time just chatting, well, getting to know each other, more, and really a continuation of this morning's conversation. It was just perfect and natural. I've never felt like I've wanted to do that with any of the wives of the staff at Indian Creek, even those closer to my age, even when I've stuck around before and after youth group. They've never really engaged with me before to get to know me. They know me through Facebook I guess. They know me through Gary. I don't know. The two environments are just so different. And I'm the not the only one who prefers a different environment or has been at the Creek and has come to New Pal and knows what I'm talking about.
 
- That's the thing. I'm not really alone. So to come home, and still be questioned at the end of the day and then not be able to turn around and ask a vital question and get a straight answer about things that directly affect my daughter's social and spiritual life is a bit upsetting. Or at lunch today, no one asked me how our week was or how my morning was, but it was all about who they saw at church, people I wouldn't have known anyways, and the boys talked about buying Legos from Jim. It's just a gossip fest about people that have no bearing on our lives. And Benaiah didn't read the book chapter about ADHD because he thinks he knows what he needs to know about ADHD in order to interact with three people in his family of origin with it and he thinks people are overmedicated that have ADHD but he won't let me explain why I've chosen this route with us at this point because he claims he and I can't have a civil conversation about anything. And this is after he yelled at me for touching something on his desk. Fine, I was curious about his candy bar because he tells me nothing and I'm curious about his life. So sue me. I'm your mother, not your sister. I think I have a little bit more right to asking than she does. I didn't have to touch it, but I can ask if I see something, right? Well, not according to him. So, I feel, out of the loop, unseen, unheard, and reality was hitting home. And the other kids didn't talk much again. Although should have been celebrating that we closed down our school year. But I didn't get a chance to announce that. I wonder if anyone would have said anything if I had asked who the new high school minister is. Does Leah know? Who knows. Nobody really knows. That's the problem. I don't like going in blind or blindly trusting authority. Even today, I wrote down something Pastor Brett talked about in regards to rewards in heaven and how that's related to good works on earth because I wanted to make sure that aligned doctrinally with Jared's beliefs. I always have my discernment ears up. It's exhausting, but I have to. I listen and read such a wide variety, that I can't afford to just believe everything on it's own. I have to compare it to what I've known previously, no matter the source. Men are fallible. Men's interpretation of Scripture is fallible. I trust no one right now 100%. No, not even Jared on some issues. I don't trust myself either, so I look things up. And when I can't, I get mad. Information is vital, people. And when information is hidden, intentionally or not, it's a problem. Have we not learned this in the last two years? 

- It's been a long day. I have barely seen Jared, Keturah, and Abishai. I don't know what they've really been up to today. I know Jared had to work on those stupid writing assignments for Gary's college class he taught. Yes, STILL. It's midnight and I'm still working on this post. I feel like there's mosquitoes everywhere or something. I'm tired and frustrated instead of feeling full and excited. I hate Satan's mind tricks. This is going to be a long, hard battle. All I can do is pray. And get away when I need to. And enjoy my time when I'm in the moment, just like I've always done. And deal with the aftermath when I get home. And I pray that God redeems any form disunity this causes in our marriage and family. And that God quells any gossip. And that anyone I talk to has an understanding heart. I just have to trust that I, as an individual, am walking in obedience, no matter how heartbreaking it is. I just wish that Jared would listen to the sermons from New Pal as I will still listen to the sermons from the Creek. And that he would know Pastor Rex as I get to know this Brandon character. Although, Justin will graduate next year. I'm not sure if they'll let him continue on for another year or not since he's so young. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. And when he graduates, he can decide to stay at the Creek or not, too. I would like him to stay now for Abishai's sake and for Ron Hittel's sake and his small group guys. Finish it out, follow through. Then you can make a change. Sigh. So big. Gotta start planning that senior year. Ah! I'm not ready! Not at all!

- And on that note, I'm done.

Last weekend of the "Night at the Piano" tour and they just announced he's doing one live on Tuesday for free! I signed up for VIP and to ask a question so hopefully, I get it answered!



Jared's favorite color of iris bloomed! So pretty!


Almost there! You can do it!



So adorable! Almost like when Jared would put Benaiah on his lap!


Uh oh. Here comes trouble! He got to bring the mini bike home. I warned Kelli it came home and that Justin would probably show it off to Kya but I wouldn't let her ride it.

My car kicked over 130,000 as I pulled into New Palestine Bible Church this morning and I was on cloud 9 when I left and forgot to take a photo before I left to come home. Oh well. Just trust me that I saw it!



You can sort of see it but the fields are ripe with not dandelions but goldenrod! The monarch butterflies and others are probably having their best life right now! So gorgeous! And I got to take photos because Justin was driving. I forced him to drive. And when we pulled into the church for youth group, he got to beep the horn right at Kya. It was awesome!




The bamboo grew even taller!






These perfectly round holes were made by carpenter bees! Jared had to take apart his thing he made Abishai and started to burn the wood.

Leaves upside down means a storm or bad weather is coming. And it just rained a bunch, so, there's that.

Jared said he learned you need to cut the new growths that haven't turned into woody stalks yet, so these green stems would be perfect for new shoots. Cool.

The End

 

No comments:

Post a Comment