Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Year 2, Day 277: Normalcy?

 

Keturah practicing at gymanstics.  She is making a ton of improvements every week!  She was pretty sick two days earlier, but had missed last week, so Grandma took her and I stayed home with the other two.  We all had the head cold, so Wednesday was Abishai's turn.
Normalcy?  What is that?  As I write this blog post for the end of this week, several days have lapsed and we have had quite the eventful weekend.  Just when I think I have no special events to write up, boom, quite literally, I do, and my camera gets a workout.  So, I will save those stories for the next two blog posts.  Let's try to catch up on all the "boring" stuff for this one, shall we?

It actually has been very warm still outside, but I guess we need to have a snugglefest.  I tried to do some reading aloud but a certain 2 yr old just won't sit still.  Imagine that.

Pumpkin bread, take 2!  The kids requested more, and since I had only used 1/2 of a small can of pumpkin for the first 2 loaves, I had enough to make two more.  BUT, I didn't have enough pumpkin pie spice.  So, this is what I came up with, including cinnamon.  Easy enough.  I didn't measure, but the combo came out better than the store's kind! 

I finally finished up these tin of cloves we got from Jared's grandmother when she and his grandfather passed away 16 yrs ago!  Who knows how much older it is than that!

So vintage there's no expiry on it!  So, it's going with the other vintage spice tin I have, I think from the same place, lol.  I threw away the empty pumpkin pie and nutmeg tins since those I can buy again.

So, this happened this week! Well, our favorite guy who has been at our house several times a week for the last two months had some heart trouble (minor heart attack), so, we were not going to allow him to work for us for a long while now, so Gary and Jared asked another person from church if he could finish putting the bathroom floor down.  Jared thought he was just going to look at what needed to be done, but he came ready to work!  So a quick trip to the store for supplies and a few hours later and it was done!

At first I was a bit annoyed that it happened so fast again, and I wasn't there to pick out the flooring, but I am liking it now that I have the lighter colored rugs down on it again.  I can't wait to paint the walls!  Because there's only 1 layer of flooring instead of two, the baseboards now sit lower on the wall and there's older paint showing through making it look ugly.  But I know what color I want, and I kind of want to paint it myself.  Painting is something I like to do!

Abishai found a new spot for his water cup!

Justin's shadow "sleeping" in his bed.

Watching Daddy leave again (he had been back and forth because of breakfast meeting, then home to meet the guy, then to the store, then back again, and now finally on his way to work) and seeing the big trucks again across the street!

We had to get to the library today or they were going to reshelve the books we ordered, which were like 20 of them!  Abishai said, "watch me!"

He saw a dinosaur up on a high shelf and pulled over a stool to get it.  Then he dragged over a chair.  So, I brought it down for him and let him play with it for a few minutes.  No other kids were there since it was 1:30 on a Friday, and I'm not sure what the librarian thought about it, although she was right there reshelving books as I did it.  The dinosaur was dusty anyway, so it doesn't get used much.  I know in Beech Grove and in Irvington, we've played with the stuffed animals before.  if there had been kids around, I wouldn't have done it because I wouldn't have wanted them fighting over it.  But, Abishai took the dinosaur for a drive and then was great about me putting it back away.

While he was in the tractor, he looked over to the bookshelves and saw the signs for the different character books.  They had used pictures of the characters so the youngest of kids could do just what he did.  He said, "Thomas!" And wanted to immediately get out of the tractor and pick out all the Thomas books that were there.  He also picked out the Richard Scary book of "Things That Go" that we already have two copies of at home.  He didn't understand that though, so I let him take it home anyway.  He insisted on carrying his books to the front desk, AND scanning them to be checked out.  He also helped scan the rest of our pile.

Then he wanted to hold his books on the way home, too.  Keturah got Joanna dressed (the doll) and brought her along as well.  (And she got her dressed for church, too, complete with a tights and dress and necklace, but Keturah won't wear any of that herself).

More gymnastics pictures.

Bars!

The calendar says it's October 6th, but the day temps are warm, the nights are cool, and my "garden" is still growing.  Two more tomatoes and 3 more green peppers.  I doubt they will make maturity before frost hits.


Working together on geography, although, they don't usually have good attitudes about working together on school work.

Abishai dumped out the contents of this box on purpose so he could use it as a mask.

Playing a 20 questions game online.  Jared picked an obscure character from a movie and it took like 37 questions for the website to guess it.  Jared can usually fool these websites easily.  Benaiah picked less obscure ones and it would answer it correctly in less than 10 questions.

Movie time! Abishai with his 1st (? or 2nd, or 3rd) favorite person.  And Jared will baby him for as long as he can!

I have no idea why we have never owned this!  We've borrowed it from the library several times and Abishai has seen a tn of clips n YouTube.  I actually sat and watched the whole thing with the family.

Cute toes now in my lap and I got a shoulder massage in the process.
So, that's Thursday and Friday, October 5th and 6th, 2017.  Home school is still a bit difficult, kids hate chores and make it known, Momma is known to be in a bad mood by day's end, all very typical, but I don't want to be typical.  As the next couple of days will prove........

No comments:

Post a Comment