Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Year 3, July 19th, 2018: Thursday, V5, The World of Holidays (aka Holiday World)

After a late night, we were able to sleep in because, we were right on the border of the eastern and central time zones.  Our hotel was less than 30 minutes to Holiday World, but the hotel is on Eastern time and the park was on Central time.  That meant, we could leave at 10 am from our hotel, but be at Holiday World by 9:30am.  That totally worked in our favor!  I was able to methodically get us ready, everyone pre made their sandwhiches for lunch, kids could have some calming electronic time, sunscreen could be applied beforehand, etc.  The main part of the park doesn't open until 10 am anyway, so we had plenty of time to get scanned in, bags checked, get our family picture and little kids' rides started.  Gary, Benaiah, and Justin made a beeline for a certain roller coaster as soon as the big part of the park opened, and then did the same thing for the water park, which opened at 11 am because they like the more popular big rides.  Jared, Leah, Keturah, Abishai and I took it much slower and the kids rode on most of the littler kid rides.  Keturah was so cute showing Abishai around and helping him on the rides where a parent didn't have to go on it with them.  I think this is her 2nd or 3rd time to this park.  The boys went with Grandma and Grandpa when they were 4 and 7 yrs old and camped at the Rudoph camping park.  We also went in spring of 2012 right before we left for Canada.  We were supposed to go the previous fall, and had stayed there overnight, but that Saturday morning I got the phone call that my Dad might not make it through the day (he died the following Monday).  Then Gary and Leah took Justin and Keturah in 2016 before the rest of us got back from Canada.  So I guess this trip was Justin's 4th time, Benaiah's 3rd, Keturah's 3rd, my 2nd, and Abishai's 1st.  I don't know if/when Jared would have gone before we were married.  Probably once or twice at most.  It's nice going to a place you've been before so you aren't scrambling to figure out the layout of the park or what you need to bring into the park or not. 

One thing about Holiday World that we love is that a significant portion of the park is dedicated to the little kids.  I'm not talking about one little splashpad for the 0-5 yr olds or a roller coaster and carousel.  I'm talking about a good 1/3 or or more are accessible to them.  There are other amusement parks within the same driving distance that have a lot more of the bigger roller coasters and water rides for the pre teens and up, which the boys love.  We also love Holiday World because you get free water and pop all day, plus free sunscreen.  They have lots of shade from trees and awnings, benches and lounges (in the water park), are very good with checking safety on the rides, and have very friendly staff.  They are pretty strict on their rules about wearing clothing over your bathing suit when you are not in the water park and on height restrictions.  And because of all of this, we see more families in more modest bathing suits, and less of bunches of teens in their bikini's, which we appreciate.

And they have divided the park up into holiday themes, especially in the smaller kid areas, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July and Halloween.  They have "Dogiland" for some of the littlest kid stuff, too.  The water park is one big luau party theme.  At about noon, we met up for lunch at the large picnic shelter outside the park.  You aren't allowed to bring food into the park, but they also recognize that families do like to save money and pack their own lunches.  They even have a bathroom right there, outside the park, for guests!  You do have to get a special stamp in order to go back in, of course. And they didn't throw a fit about water bottles and didn't see my special snack bucket as I normally have on me.  They just don't want you taking in gobs of food instead of spending money on their food.  They did have a gluten free stand for pizzas and subs I noticed.  They also warn you not to abuse the pop fountains.  I.e., you can't fill up your own containers.  You use their small paper cups or buy an approved container.  Same with the sunscreen.  That should be obvious not to do that, but I find that more and more, people are greedy.  I know that they are already making a profit overall, but I also understand that for a business, everything has a cost.  There's no need to take more than we need.

After lunch we all went to the water park.  We put some of our stuff in very cool locker that opened via barcode on a wristband you wore.  No more keys to lose! And then we found a spot to put the rest of our stuff centrally located, like my kleenix box and my phone, both of which was necessary.  I thought about it too late that maybe I shouldn't be here with a runny nose.  But I don't have a fever and I'm not vomiting, and those are definitely no no's.  I didn't want to miss Abishai's first water park experience!  So yes, I kept my phone on me most of the time.  I saw several people where there phones in water proofed pouch on a lanyard and wish I had done the same.  But it all worked out.  I got a few pictures and videos, I left the phone with another adult so I could get in the pool a couple of times, and I knew what time it was since I don't own a watch.  I'm just not used to having to put it down.  The others left their phones in the car or locker, so I couldn't exactly communicate with them.  We did split up, but made plans to check back regularly, even after moving to a different spot from the little kid water slides to the elementary sized dump bucket and slides.  (which was colder water so I didn't get in).  Everybody got to a little bit of everything.  Jared and Justin got to go on a big roller caster.  Jared took Keturah on some big water slides.  Jared, I, Keturah, and Abishai got to go twice around the lazy river and hang out in the wave pool.  There weren't any high waves when were were there though because they are doing a dance show right in front of it.  Grandma got to the lazy river.  Abishai got to go down water slides all by himself and experience the big dump bucket.  Benaiah got to ride the Wildebeest 6 times!  It was crowded, but not overly crowded as it was a weekday.  The weather was pretty hot, which was perfect for the water park.  That made lines in the regular park much shorter, too.

And Abishai got so exhausted that he fell asleep in the stroller crying for Daddy when Daddy left with Keturah to do water slides!  He ate a granola bar and nodded off to sleep.  I covered up his bare skin to protect him from the sun and he slept fro 90 minutes!  And of course, then, he wouldn't go to sleep in the van until nearly 10pm on the way home.  This kid needs early bedtimes and no more naps!  I asked him, "What your day?" at a different Wendy's we ate for supper on the way home and he said, "Tired."  I think we've worn him out this week!  It's a good thing tomorrow is a totally at home day of rest for all of us.  Well, most of us.  The men have some e2 stuff to take care of and Benaiah needs to practice drums for next Sunday.  I have to make some phone calls and work through emails (and blog posts).  I wish we could truly be on vacation and not have to worry about taking care of work/business/ministry during these supposed days off.  But it's the nature of what we do.  We can never be truly disconnected from the world.  That's life in ministry and the 21st century.  I'm glad I've been able to keep up with social media and email, and even the blog.  It's very helpful to not come back to as much work.  We are leaving our data off on our phones as much as possible, too, so that is a nice disconnect and change of pace.  And now, if we can just rest up the next days so we can enjoy some cooler weather in Chicago next week, that would be great!

Since we didn't have to leave until 10, the kids were able to play board games with Grandma or catch up on their TV show watching.
Jared sent this picture to me.  Gorgeous butterfly!

Abishai's very first amusement park ride! (see other pictures below, they got out of order when loading).
That face says it all!  He LOVES the high thrill rides!

That's my baby up there!  Keturah did not want to ride it because she doesn't like the feeling of her stomach in her throat.  I don't blame her.  I didn't go on it either.  I was having a hard time breathing as it was.
Playing bumper cars with Daddy and Grandma while I took Abishai up to the Dogiland area to play on the playground.  They said they got stuck in a traffic jam and couldn't get out of it.  Bummers.
Big boys riding big rides!

Yikes! When did they get so big?

There was one operator for two rides so they had to wait a little bit to get on it.  No big deal.  The lines weren't long at all.

Kiddie Roller Coaster selfie.  Perfect sized thrill for the both of us.

Trainride around the dogiland included a covered bridge and the engineer reciting nursery rhymes as we went past the statuettes of them.

The Old Lady who lived in a shoe, Little Jack Horner, Little Bo Peep, Mary Mary Quite Contrary, and Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater, were among the nursery rhymes we saw.

Can't have Holiday/Christmas land without the Nativity, yeah!

Keturah seems too big for these but too small for the bigger roller coasters.  She enjoys them though.

Awwww, heading back into the park after lunch.


Official Holiday World picture.  I wish others knew how to zoom in when taking pictures.  Next time we ask someone, I'll make sure they do.

This is the fishy ride that was Abishai's first amusement park ride!  Keturah looks very content.  She like the water park better.
Abishai's First Amusement Park Ride


He was thrilled to be big enough to do these rides on his own.


Rocket ship ride! And I'm grateful that they have canopies or trees over most of these rides, too.   Smart thinking.

Keturah did go on the up and down ride the first time Abishai did it.  He looks so little in there!

Santa's sleigh carousel.  Again, they loved it!

Aww....again!

4th of July zone.

Boston Tea Party is just an example of how they label things in each themed zone.

Red pop to start out our day means a red drink mustache.

So thirsty!

Playing on the playground waiting on the others who were at the bumper cars.

Just a few kids having fun.

Want to go on a jungle safari?

Bye!  The other boys were with Grandpa riding the big rides.

Beep, beep!
I drive!

Abishai again was THRILLED with the higher thrilled rides, including the roller coaster!  He didn't put his hands up, but he didn't cry either!

Just a few ups and downs.  Simple yet thrilling for wee ones.

They got to go around twice.

Keturah and I's turn!

I tried putting my hands up, too.

On the train ride around the dogiland.

Christmas zone.
Lunch at this nice picnic area outside of the park.  Yes, it can be a long walk, but at least they provide tables and shade!

I love the little village area where some of the indoor, air conditioned sit down restaurants are.  The park is always super clean as well.  No bees around trash bins or trash on the ground.  It's a great family place.  You can also rent wagons and wheelchairs.
They have a ton of different water slides for Abishai and Keturah's ages!  I really appreciate this about Holiday Park, they don't just give them one thing per age, but multiple.  Abishai loved going down them by himself, although sometimes he would get a mouthful of water at the end.

Adults weren't allowed to go down them without kids in their laps, so I didn't do them, but they are my speed.

Yes, that's Abishai going down all by himself on his stomach not afraid at all.

Keturah's turn down the same slide.

Abishai is in the center of the picture off to the right of the center a bit.  He didn't have floaties on.  The water came to his waist and he was so confident wading through it.  I'm not sure how it's going to go when I take them to our little water park back home.

Abishai loved doing this double slide with Jared.  I also did go down it once.  Jared let him climb up to the top platform of all these slides by himself, which made me really nervous.  There wasn't a lifeguard up there telling the kids when to go, but a series of green lights and red lights.  Abishai kept cutting in line, too, when we weren't up there with him.  I think there was a little too much freedom.
All of these are for the little ones Keturah's size and smaller.  Right behind this is the smaller wave pool we went in.  But despite being in there for 20 minutes, there were no big waves because a different "show" was being done.  Kind of bummed about that.

Not every moment was a good moment. Poor little guy balled when Daddy left with Keturah to do some of the bigger water slides.  I mean weeping and wailing, "I want Daaaadddddyyyyyy!!!!!!!"  He cried so hard that after a granola bar and a drink of water.....

....he fell asleep for a good 90 minutes.  It was hot but I went ahead and covered up any exposed skin so he wouldn't burn.  I think this will be the last time he actually falls asleep like this in public.  He's growing up too fast!

Finally, my favorite area of the water park was reopened.  They had been fixing some pipes when we walked by the first time.  This dump bucket playground has so much going on!  4 medium water slides perfect for Keturah's size.  I remember going down them the last time we were here and them being perfect for me.  The water this time around felt much colder than I had remembered, so I stayed out of it.  The other kids' area had warmer water, as well as the wave pool and lazy river.  It took a little bit before Abishai was comfortable with all the activity, but he soon loved it, even the dump bucket itself.    There's literally something for everyone here!

There goes Jared walking across a bridge with Abishai.  Kudos to Jared for giving up all the big roller coasters so he could help me and Grandma with Abishai.  He said he would love to do a couple of the big ones, but mostly, he just wanted to see his kids have fun and that's what he did.

Abishai climbed down this net into the water.

Lots of different water spouts and sprayers and water water everywhere!

And so many things to climb on!

Trooping through the water like he owns the place, because he does.  Call him "Aquaman!"  Next to the other DC character there, Superman, lol.

Climbing, climbing, climbing.

Dump bucket!!

Let's do it again!

Ready, set, go!!!  After this, was when we went to the lazy river, Keturah, Abishai, Jared, and I.  We went around it twice and Abishai kept going in and out of the tubes.  He couldn't touch the bottom, so he kept making me nervous.  Keturah also was in and out of the tubes.  They had 4 different sizes of tubes which was perfect for every shape and size.  I can remember when Benaiah was 4 or 5 yrs old and we got him to a water park with a lazy river in it.  Uncle Aaron was there as well, and he accidentally hit Benaiah in the mouth and Benaiah's front tooth fell out!  He told Grandma that when they drain the lazy river at night, they'll find his tooth!  Not quite, but it makes for an interesting story.  Jared actually hit Benaiah's mouth for a second time later that summer and his other front tooth came out.  Poor Benaiah.  Now he's bigger than the both of them, so they better watch out!

One of Jared's trees that he thinks he planted.  I think it looks like a Christmas tree or that they shaped it that way.  He says that's how it naturally grows.

So, he took pictures on my phone of his beloved trees because I was the only one who brought a phone into the water park.  Did I mention that we had to do the old fashioned thing of "meet me at this time at this place?" instead of texting each other?  Yup.  I don't own a watch, so I would have had to ask strangers what time it was.  I'm glad I brought my phone with me instead.  And next time, I'm going to get one of those waterproof pooches, too.

#treehugger

Last big ride of the day.  Jared took Justin on the Raven.  Jared prefers the usually smaller wooden coasters to the bigger metal coasters because they shake more.

There they go! In the best spot on the ride, the way back.

The others had gone on towards the cars, so it was just Justin, Jared, Abishai and I.  Cell phone service wasn't good at all in the park, so even when I tried to text them it wouldn't go through.  They sat in the cars for a good 20 minutes because.....

.....little man had to ride the up and down ride for the third time and there was a little line before him.  #spoiledmorethantheothers

Thrilled to pieces!

Good bye Holiday World!

I guarantee you that the boys and Grandpa probably rode these bigger ones.  But I don't know which ones or what they are called.

Lots of redness on those cheeks from the sunshine.  No one got sunburned though!  Not even Jared for once!  I'm a bit itchy from a slight burn from earlier in the week.  But we all applied 30 spf sunblock on and some even reapplied theirs.  Yeah!  Plus, our kids had a good tan before we went anyway.

We ate at Wendy's on the way home, which has fairly safe options for me.  Benaiah saw this cool sauce called "Side of S'Awesome" and had to try it. He said it tasted great!  But not as good as the sauces at Chick Fil A of course.

Open road on the way home.  We got in very, very late because of the time change.  Thankfully, we were going to be home all day Friday and a good part of the day on Saturday to recover from our exhausting week!

No comments:

Post a Comment