Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Year 3, June 30th-July 1st, 2018: A Wedding with Church People

Saturday we had a wedding to attend, and it was like a big church reunion!  I think I saw more friends there than I did at church the next day, lol.  We've been friends with the bride's family for about 15 or so years and the groom is now a staff member, so, they have lots and lots of friends and family.  The reception alone had about 400 chairs!  I was grateful to see so many familiar faces because then I could work the crowd easier without hiding behind Jared or the kids.  The ceremony itself was simple, yet elegant.  It was held at a brand new event facility that was previous a garment factory!  There was a full bar and another large room where we had au doirs downstairs.  The wedding itself was upstairs, as well as the reception, so after the wedding pictures were done, they had to completely redo the room.  It took nearly 2 hrs for this, which was ok at first.  But then the sit down meal and toasts and special song (more than down below), took another 1 1/2 hrs until the cake was cut and we could go home.  It was a good thing we had planned for the grandparents to take Abishai and anyone else home soon after the wedding because it seemed like the night dragged on.  It's a fancy wedding, I get it, but we had a child to pick up at work and another child who needed to sleep, and I get maxed out on social time very easily.  I guess I'm impatient, lol.  I was also feeling frustrated because I couldn't actually see the wedding party much at all until the cake was cut.  We sat in the way back, off to the side for Abishai's sake, and our table at the reception was near the back as well. I keep checking Instagram just so I can see our friend in her dress because we didn't even have a chance to greet the couple.  It was all a bit disappointing to me, but that's not the point.  We were there, we did conversing with our friends and eating a great meal.  I just wish I could have been closer to the action.  I was had a slightly similar disappointment at the Third Day concert when I was sitting behind tall people and off to the side.  Lesson learned, get the good seats!

Moving on...Keturah had a grand time running around with her friends.  Justin did, too, until he went home with Grandma.  Grandpa stayed with us and we went home together.  I was impressed with myself for making the effort to dress up and get new shoes, putting on make up, leaving my hair down, etc.  That's a big deal over here, lol.  At least we'll still see the new couple often at church.  The groom is part of the tech team.  I know Benaiah wished he could have been there, but he also needs to not ask for too much time off.  He has a week of camp next week and two weeks of vacation in July as well.  Then school starts by mid August.  So, he has to be careful and choose wisely.  The night ended ok, although I got very sick on the car ride home from eating food I'm not used to.  I'm still recovering from it, too.  Lesson learned, again, maybe.

Sunday was the normal thing, although I took it slower.  Everybody did their thing.  I was on nursery duty.  Benaiah went to his launch party with Ethan for his CIY Move this week.  He's going to room with Ethan and another guy in a NOT air conditioned room. Eek!  Grandpa is also going, but really didn't need to go and Benaiah says he's going to try to avoid him.  Ok, Mr. Independent, I don't really blame you, but play nice.  On the way home from the launch party though, a mutual friend got stuck in a ditch at the house so they stayed to help him and then went to get food, so, the boy was a little bit late coming home.  And didn't tell me.  I had to text Ethan.

OH! Benaiah had gone to Ethan's house on Friday night because of Ethan's brother's and sister's birthday, but it didn't start until after 9pm.  I dropped him off but totally forgot to give him a curfew!  Usually if he's going somewhere, he stays there overnight.  Whoops! Ethan's parents were going to bring him home, and Benaiah had 3 minutes to spare until curfew, which was midnight!  Actually, it didn't matter that much because I know Ethan's mom would have kicked them all out anyway and he was coming straight home.  So, that's another first!  Ethan actually came to our house after Benaiah got home from work on Saturday night because he needed his friend.  They had to get up early to get to church because Benaiah had to play for middle school service, but that's ok, we made it work.  They laughed and laughed at stupid YouTube videos which was what the both of them needed anyway.  Yeah!  Sweet, sweet friendship!

Ah yes, Sunday did bring another sweet guy to dinner at Gary and Leah's house.  He just lost his wife last week and his birthday was on Sunday.  They both helped out at the Lowe's Build and Grow clinics that Benaiah and Grandpa attended when he was little.  Gary developed a relationship with them and brought them to church.  They were baptized and the guy has been serving in many different ways at church, including with the MOPS program!  He was afraid that now that his wife was gone (she had many health issues), that his life had no purpose.  Well, he received many affirmations from people at church that he was still needed and loved, from a MOPS mom giving him a hug, to being reminded how he helps the "vacuum" guys on Monday morning by getting the sanctuary picked up and benches and chairs moved.  I'm so glad he was able to come to dinner.  Such a sweet old guy.  After he left, the kids got a little stir crazy, but it was kind of good to hear at least 3 kids screaming and carrying on in a good way.  Loads of fun.

Here are a few of the pictures I managed to take of the wedding and Sunday fun.

This is what happens when all three boys are in the same room.  Inevitably, someone is on top of someone and no one is upset by that.

Took a shower at night, put my hair up in a loose french braid, took it out 1 hr before we left, sprayed with a gob of Aussie hairspray, and away we go.  Except it fell flat before we left.  #straighthairproblems I didn't use a curling iron or blow dryer.  Remember, I can't find my hair dryer if I even kept one!

Focus on the new shoes, that do have a little bit of a heel, that are strappy and NOT open toed.  Don't focus on the mom belly that I can't hide very well.

With make up on, because, well, I tried.

See, it still fell flat! Gah! But Jared said he's glad he didn't marry a girl with "springs" in her hair, so, I guess I am still winning.  I was pretty annoyed with it down most of the evening, too.  I don't like it getting caught in my purse strap or in my face when I lean down to take care of kids, etc.  That's why it's always up.  But I'm trying to let it out once a week or every other week, lol.

We had to drop Benaiah off at work, and I misread the time for the wedding, for we were super early!  And instead of going inside or sitting in our car on this 90 degree day, we went half a mile away to McD's for drinks.  I only filled my cup halfway because a) calories and b) needing to use the restroom often.  The different sizes are all the same price, so it doesn't really matter.  $1 for more than 16 oz of pop is fine.  Abishai had fries and mustard.

At least the kids didn't throw huge fits about clothing this time.  We did have to tell this one to change a couple of times.  And no, we never got a family picture because we just don't ever think to.  It always irks me that we make the effort to look nice and then don't make the effort to have someone take our picture.  Sigh.

Under this trellis will be the main wedding table, but I have no clue what it looked like because I a) didn't make the effort to go up there because they were too busy with dances and toasts and b) it was clear across the room and no one was mingling because everyone was eating.
They had this nice natural light coming in from the windows, but they didn't add enough light in the middle of the room.  Everything felt pretty dark.

Trying to fill up our time before the wedding starts, so Abishai stood on the windowsill.

No, I will not smile for the camera.

Justin talking to a friend about video games.  Clearly, that's all he knows how to talk about and his friends I'm sure get bored of it.  I'll have to give him some questions he could ask his friends like "how's school?" "Did you enjoy MIX?"

Cute coloring pages for the kids, but that's all they had.  Coloring pages don't keep my kids busy.
But cars do.

I want to get in the baby seat! I'm still a baby!  He was very careful not to touch it, but oh did he want to!

So tired of waiting.  Abishai did make many laps around our set of four chairs and unfortunately, to our left was where the photographers and videographers were walking back and forth so we had to keep Abishai entertained.  We even scooted our chairs over in order to give them more room.

The pillars in the middle of the room didn't help with us seeing the bridal party, but there's Emma, I think, the youngest.

Only my phone saw this scene when I held up high.  I couldn't see them at all.  And I couldn't hear the groom's vows.  It looks pretty and the Instagram pictures are nice.

I did sort of see this though.

First glimpse of the dress for me.  Happy couple of course.

Ready to move on with his blankie and paci in tow.

Wish I could get up there and see what was going on.

Keturah found some friends!  She doesn't know it, but I know the little girl in the white and pink dress.  Her older brothers used to do beginner Bible Bowl with Benaiah.

Justin with his friends.

That's a great idea! I'm sure they will have it laminated.

Of course I let Jared with the better handwriting sign it for our family.  There was no other guest book.

This cracks me up!  All our names, inside of Jared's signature, and a Cap'n Happy underneath. Perfect!

New friends!

I RSVP'd for all 6 of us, and only 3 of us made it, Jared, Keturah, and I.  At table #7 no less.

Because it was just Keturah, Jared, and I, Jared and I were able to explain different things to Keturah like what fork was for what, and how the cake is made.  How we saved the top of the cake for our 1st anniversary.  And yes, they did take apart the whole cake and served it.  I couldn't eat of course, not even the frosting because of the cake crumbs.  Our friends, the Paulsons, were sitting behind us, and I think my friend Corinne saw me shove the piece of cake out of frustration and had her husband come over and offer me a gluten free cupcake.  Some of them in their family have food sensitivities, too, so they had planned ahead, just like my friend back on PEI always did for her kids and would often bring extra for me, too.  It's hard to find friends like that, especially ones that understand the frustrations of not being able to eat what everyone else was eating.  I have a hard time when people don't really think about people with food issues, and don't offer an alternative.  They are common enough, but not in a major way.  It's not the other people's fault, but it's still hurtful all the same.  But the cupcake was the last thing my stomach could handle for the evening, and tipped me over the edge, making me so sick for the rest of the night.

Pastor to pastor, Gary and Dan, probably talking shop.

I love light pink, and the flowers and bridesmaid dresses were beautiful.  This flower arrangement was at another table.

This was what was on ours.  We actually sat alone until the wedding photographers and one of their spouses and child sat down with us.  The photographer had been on staff at the Creek, so Jared knew her, and her husband was a delight to talk (or rather listen like I was doing from across the table because it was so noisy) to.  And their little one was maybe 20 months old, and she was very pregnant with her second.  At least we didn't sit alone.  Gary was at another table.

Explaining some tidbits about the fancy things.

So, there was a song called, "The Prayer."  I honestly didn't pay attention to the lyrics that much because I was straining to see the duo who sang it.  And come to find out, one of the singers was none other than Sandi Patty of Contemporary Christian Music fame (mainly in the 80's and 90's).  I knew that the bride's dad talked about Miss Patty all the time, but I had no clue he had that close of a relationship to her.  I don't know if he was her promoter in the area at one point or what.  I was only a tiny bit starstruck and then tried to get some video and pictures, but gave up quickly.  It was just all a little over the top for me.

Sandi Patty and the other guy, I didn't recognize his name.

The bride and groom ready to cut the cake.  I barely saw them then and they were only a couple of tables away.  I hope they had a great day.  But as the minister, Shan Caldwell said, it's just a day.  It's not the marriage.  The marriage is the tough part.  And don't we how have been married for nearly 20 years know that to be true!

Downtown Franklin, IN, City Hall, I believe.

This stuff saved me two weeks ago and Saturday night.  It stopped my nauseousness dead in it's tracks.  Where was this when I was pregnant?

Sunday was Canada Day, yeah!

Keturah like to make her own fashion statements.  At least the colors matched!  That's my tank top she's wearing, too, and her brand new sparkly high top sneakers.

Just a small part of our big collection of Lowe's build and grow creations.  A parent and child would go to Lowe's every other Saturday morning and they would build all kinds of things together from these kits that Lowe's put together.  These three are hands down Abishai's favorites!  The fire truck's siren is nearly gone and the police car's light doesn't blink anymore.

Abishai saw the big vehicles up on the counter, so he decided to start bringing all of his vehicles up there.  This was before we ate, so we had to set them aside to make room for plates.

Keurah observed that it was red, for Canada Day!  Red velvet cake, one of Gary's favorites.  Although, Mr. Jerry is diabetic!  Whoops!  He takes a pill and is one of those that will eat the sweets anyways.  His wife was diabetic, too, so he'd make up a batch of goodies to take somewhere and he would have her test taste it, lol.

More red for Canada Day!  Watermelon and cherries!

Abishai brought his collection right next to my chair and Jerry's chair.  I don't think Jerry noticed, but it was cute all the same.  Jerry does have hearing aids so we had to be patient and understanding when he couldn't hear us or respond to us, so he might not have heard Abishai beneath him.

Happy birthday to a dear friend Mr. Jerry!

Cake AND ice cream!  Sugar rush to soon follow.

Benaiah actually fell asleep under there for a bit.  That's what happens when you work late and your best friend needs to come over and talk.  And then you have to get up early to play drums at church.  Teenagers.  Sigh.

Meanwhile, Abishai was making laps around the whole house, giggling up a storm!  He was stir crazy!

We have a very similar picture of Justin a that age, just a blur across the lens.  Is Abishai Jack-Jack (the crazy baby) or Dash (the fast running son of Mr. Incredible).  Abishai will say, "No, I'm Abishai!"

Super tired from chasing Abishai!

Abishai really missed pummeling Justin into the ground all the time.  He thinks it's hilarious when Justin gets hurt.

Why they were rolling around on the floor beats me.  But they were, and they were laughing, and not fighting.  I think the middles missed each other more than realize.  They haven't fought much and have played together some.

Bumblees on wildflowers in the garden.

Crazy baby let himself into the backyard by unhooking the gate lock.  I had to put the spring lock on instead.  He runs, runs, runs, and pushes the swing up high, and then this time, he almost got knocked over by it.

Running back before Mommy locked the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment