Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Monday, April 19, 2021

Year 6, April 16th-18th, 2021: Clear and Cold

 Brrr.....it's cold out there! 60 degrees and a bit of a breeze, but Justin made it through yard work. He and Grandpa also dropped off his off road bike to get fixed. Not exactly what I wanted to happen, but after this initial repair, he can do all the rest of the repairs and tweaking. I wanted him to take it apart himself and put it back together from scratch. But he would need a lot of help and it's already been 2 years, so....fine, ok, whatever. Gary's just used to "hiring to get it done." The kids also had Bible class this morning. I did set my alarm because we've been waking up so late, but almost forgot to wake up the kids in time! " Come on, Justin, you're going to make your brother late for the school bus!" I say that in jest, but Justin was going to walk Abishai over to Grandpa's house and he WAS going to make Abishai late. When Abishai came back via Grandma's car, he ate a bit and then went outside and stared at the neighbors as they worked in their shed. I'm glad he kept himself occupied, but I hope he didn't wear himself out too much. We had park day and karate today, too. So, a little bit of screen time before park day (so I can catch up on the blog) and some screen time afterwards will help that imp to rest. I should find out Mr. Floyd's last name because he is an older gentleman, but at least saying the "Mr." part shows respect (I hope.)

 It feels likes it's been a long day, and I'm exhausted but I haven't done anything. I've sat to listen to my Bible study sermon and do my Bible study. I sat this afternoon at the park. But I'm so tired I couldn't listen to anything when Jared and Abishai were at karate. I even had 7 1/2 hrs of sleep last night! But that's not enough to "catch up." Maybe I've just done too much around the house this week. My knees were hurting from the cooler weather at the park, too. It took all of the 2 hrs I lay on the couch after super to warm them up and calm them down. It was hard even thinking about what to do for dinner, too. Poor Abishai is even more exhausted.

But, Abishai got to do the little speech at the beginning and end of class today! He did at least half of the opening speech by himself but needed a lot of help at the end. That's ok. He got to do it! Jared took a little video of it. And now it's all peace and quiet. I don't know how this evening goes, but I can't think straight enough to start anything major or know what needs to done. I hope we get to work on mulch together tomorrow and get that done. I think if Jared helps with getting it into the wheelbarrow, we can definitely get it dumped and I'll spread it. We'll see. I ate some pieces of brats that Jared soaked and cooked in beer, so I might not feel great tomorrow.

I have no idea where I hurt my hand but the back of my right hand is all bruised.

I sprained my pinky in the garden on Monday and it finally feels almost healed. Took awhile though.

Aw, Socks knew to sit for his cookies from Abishai this morning. He had a busy day going to Grandma's house AND to the park. Poor old doggy!

That's an apt description of Jared.

I definitely recognized this one from the show. It's so cool how it's just standing there 200 years later than when it operated.


I finished a neat puzzle in one of my games!

Yup.

This kid,who is out of his ADHD medication, got up from lunch to go to the bathroom and never returned! Yup! He went from the bathroom to his room! So he had to come back to the table to finish. Whoops! Abishai does this ALL the time, and someday I'm going to have to really work on him about it. I've already tried to stay on top of it, so we'll see.

Not the best picture but as I was petting Socks at the park today, I noticed a new growth. There's one on his neck, but it hasn't changed and feels like he has a tick. This one is slightly bigger, two colored, and a bit red from where I was picking at it. Hm,....I just want to keep ahead of these things because they are most likely benign now, but could develop into something later. My beagles had some growths that were benign, so I know it's an older dog thing.

I'm posting this pics from Instagram because I haven't taken many of my own and I just think these are the sweetest!

The 70 years of history these two have seen. Wow!




Saturday was a "let's get going because it's almost 9am" kind of day, but we accomplished much. Mulching and mowing and weed eating got done. Justin worked on his papers and science test. Keturah helped a bit but then got grounded because of attitudes before dinner. Abishai had an agenda and kept to it. Jared helped with mulch and pruned some trees, played with Abishai, took a nap and his leg started spasming, too. He also went on a "secret errand." Tomorrow he says he has a "secret meeting" right after church. I worked hard outside and cleaning up inside. We had ham, eggs, toast and fruit for dinner since these kids can't seem to eat toast in the morning. And now the neighbor thinks tonight's a great night for fireworks! Wait a minute, it's April! How can there be fireworks already? Who knows.

Abishai's agenda that got done before 10 am was:

snuggle Daddy

wrestle Daddy

play Nerf war with Daddy

eat breakfast with Daddy

After that, his agenda included:

Play video games with Daddy

And "I'll think of something else."

Compare that to the two teens still in their beds at 10 am....

I had texted that to the family and Gary changed the subject to what he was doing, teaching elders, and Grandma changed the subject to watching the funeral of Prince Philip, and so Uncle Aaron pulled it all together and said, " so-the boy of Abishai is comapred with the joy of serving in a church. the grumpy teenager with no energy compares to the lock of joy or energy in a Royal funeral." You aren't wrong Aaron. He thought it might make a nice sermon illustration wherever everybody is at, IL, IN, or MS.  Leah said the funeral was very blah. I said it was only going to be 30 people and that it's not a celebration of life and there's no eulogy because that's how Prince Philip wanted it. There's been a massive amount of eulogizing on social media and news outlets. The Church of England funeral is probably just a straight forward very short thing anyway. The many times I've watched funerals being acted out in BBC TV shows, I've never seen a eulogy or "celebration of life" or even sermonette or whatever. And a lot of times, it's just a little gravesite scene. I didn't go try to watch it as I'm sure the photos and vids will come through social media outlets later. I follow a lot of Instagram and Twitter accounts about the Royals. There's not much real Christianity in the Church of England anyway. It's kind of big joke, at least on BBC, whether it be a show set in the 1950's or a modern day one. So, that's fine.

I'm more worried about the family of the 19 yr old that killed 8 people and himself and injured 5 others on Thursday night. I've been praying for them, and for the victims' family. One of the victims had ties to people at Indian Creek and was involved in a homeschool sports program. She was also 19 and had just graduated last year, the youngest of 4 children. So, it's also a bit close to home since we almost have a 19 yr old. Plus, there were several members of the Sikh community that were killed, too, some grandparents even! So tragic. And of course now everybody is talking about gun control again. Of course! Gun controls aren't the problem. The criminal will get a gun regardless of the law. The law had stepped in last year and taken a gun from him when his mom had become concerned about him and his mental health. The gun had not been given back. The right steps had been taken and the family had tried to get him help. It's tragic for all involved, including the poor family of the criminal. So, that's what I thought about a good part of the day, not the Royal funeral.

And I listened to a video about vaccines and I listened to the replace of the IAHE Rep phone call from Tuesday night. And I brushed the dog, cut his nails AND cleaned out his ears. I also discovered another growth on the cartilage of his right ear. I'm starting to get a bit concerned here. I'll do a little bit more research before I call the vet. And of course the first thing out of Jared's mouth was, "We'll euthanize him before I'll pay for any major interventions." Dude, I know that, it's sad you say that, but I know that. Have a little bit of empathy, would ya? 

Anyway, that was the day. I just want to watch some TV, play some phone games, and be left alone until it's bedtime. I don't really want to watch TV with Jared. I just need some alone time, ok? And he won't let me play the phone games while watching the TV show with him, so, yup, I don't want to tonight. Maybe tomorrow night. Maybe not. I'm ok with that. Oh, and I did wake up with back pain from the beer brats he made. That means that the barley or wheat proteins soaked into the brat. So no beer brats for me. But Abishai loved them! He and Justin finished them for lunch and when Jared went to get them, they were gone! He was a bit disappointed. Cleaning that pan was fun, too. I had to warm it back up in the oven so I could scrap some of the sticky stuff off and then run it under hot water to melt the rest of it. I wish I didn't have to clean up those kinds of messes, but whatever. The kitchen is clean enough for tomorrow. Sunday, normal day, and I'll get to sit next to Jared for the first time in weeks at the 11am. Without a mask. Because I can.


Little buddy made himself a bed to play on Daddy's racing game when we booted him out of our bed.

Abishai was VERY scared, and it took a bit to pry his hands off of Daddy, but Daddy did. Daddy wasn't doing a great job telling Abishai what he was trying to do. But that's how it's sort of been done since we've had kids. More explanation the better, I usually say.

See, it's not bad!

He was mostly scared and upset, but a tiny bit smiling.

We got the mulch done today! And in 90 minutes, too! I knew that having Jared doing the major shoveling would reduce my time a ton. I did the spreading and sweeping and fussing. We had a couple of helpers, but more yelling and complaining than I would have wished for.

Whine, gripe, I hate work, blah, blah, blah. And then there was her brother who had to work all day on school work AND mow. "It's the worst time of year," Justin said. "I have to mow, AND do final papers, AND and and." And what? That's LIFE dude! You're how old? Yes, you have to give up your game time. No, you can't get away with procrastination, even with ADHD. Sorry, that the pressure is on, but you need to learn to cope. He could have taken some of his back up medicine today, but he choose not to. I know he wasn't angry at me, but more at the situation and himself. Sorry buddy.

Little buddy did try to help some but didn't last very long. He wanted screen time pretty quickly today.

Now THAT looks much better and hopefully will cut down on the weeds. Probably should have sprayed the grass and feeds first. This has to be this big and deep because once it starts going, it will be cover the whole thing pretty quickly. It's bamboo. Now, if we could just straighten out that back section a bit.

There's some new shoots on the bamboo!

Abishai used these boxes to make his "neighborhood." He said one of the doors wouldn't close so at night, all the people had to go into the other box. How cute! He just HAS to be surrounded by people all the time.


Ah, that's better! And it took way less time this time! I didn't make it perfect by any means, but at least it looks brighter and taller. This flower garden gets easier and easier to maintain! Yeah!




Cute little baby tree!

Jared said he needed to burn off a fire starter log but I should have opened the doors because it didn't give any heat to the room. I laid down for 2 hrs after working and tried to listen to some videos but almost fell asleep. I did my Bible study this morning though!

It was good to work outside when it wasn't too hot. The yard is looking a little more nicer this year! This isn't a bad temp to be outside in for an hour or two at a time. It gets to me when I sit at park day and not move much though. I remember PEI having these temps all the time through June. And today, PEI had snowflakes in the air!

This happened Friday, but why all the 117 comments? I read through most of them and it was mostly just back and forth about a 15 minute wait time. And other restaurants being out of certain ingredients. Good grief. Eight people were shot DEAD on Thursday for no apparent reason. And you're complaining about waffle fries? Get a grip! Oh, and there was some shots fired at the Beech Grove Wal-Mart just a couple of miles from our house. Yes, the one that I go to every 3 years. All to stop a shoplifter. No one was hurt. Good grief!

Another gorgeous spring/fallish kind of day of 60 degrees! I got to spend a good amount of time outside, including, an hour while Jared talked to Jim and Abishai played on the Grays new trampoline, another hour drinking my coffee on my deck putting my feet hurt because they hurt from standing in shoes with no arch support while Jared talked to Jim, and then another 1 hr walking a 1/2 mile trail down and back behind the subdivisions at Wolf Run Park while Abishai and Jared played on the playground. So, that's great! Especially since I barely fit my arms into my sweater this morning. The same sweater that has fit fine every since Keturah was born, the one that my mom bought me from a retail store instead of at Goodwill. I can't bear to buy more clothes. I just can't. I like the sweaters I have. I've picked them out carefully. A lot of them were brand new. When will this weight problem stop? When? When I starve myself? It's hard to stay motivated to eat well when you are too tired to do any food prep. It's hard to motivate yourself to torture yourself through exercise when you're already fatigued. But I did do the mulch yesterday and walked today. I try. It's just never enough. And now a new week is starting and I need to get groceries and I don't know if I'll be too tired tomorrow night to do it and put them away and I have had no time to cut up and cook vegetables that are now half rotten in the fridge. Just how to cook artichokes? Sigh. It's either I relax and do nothing so I can rest up, or I get these things done. Maybe I need some special food service to plan all my meals. I really, really, that was the case. Someone who could do all the planning for me, and cooking, that fits all my allergens. Take away the decision fatigue and physical fatigue of it all. Somebody. Anybody.

Anyway, it was good day to be outside, even if the rest of my family hates it and closed the blinds and played video games or sat in church or at youth group. Back to regular routine tomorrow. And I'm so tired I can't even think about it. I have an appointment tomorrow, too, but the rest of the week is clear. And I found out about a Civil War Reenactment thing next weekend, so woot! Woot! we are GOING no matter what! I just need to find out what time the actual battle will take place, so we can be there. Abishai is going to be thrilled!

I guess I just need sleep. My left hand pinky is still hurting and every time I reach over to use the shift key, it hurts.  Everybody better stay away because if I have to starve myself, I'm going to be hangry.

At least Abishai had a good day with extra playtime with friends. He always wants to say good bye to teachers and kids. He's going to make a GREAT greeter at the church doors someday! 

As we were waiting for Daddy to have his "secret meeting" with someone, I stepped outside with Abishai to get some air (I was hot) and to get away from the crowds. We tried to text and tease Justin into riding home with us, but he didn't want to. They have to stay extra to do some cleaning after service and I forgot that part. It was hot in the sun but much cooler in the shade.

Scar update: While it's paler and flatter, it's still kind of ugly. And if you push on it, it still feels a tiny bit lumpy in one spot and it hurts. I tested my other arm in the same place since I do have more pain all over, but it didn't hurt as much. If I lean on it or pinch the skin when I'm laying down, it can be painful. And it still itches. I go back to dermatology tomorrow. I don't think we can't do anything more with it, and I just need to keep putting lotion on it and giving it time. Sigh.

Can you see the little lines right in the middle towards the right? I think those are newer surface veins forming. I'll confirm with the doctor tomorrow. Not too concerned but it reminds me to put on sunblock more often so I don't damage those.

Finally! I had a day when my hair was looking decent after being up in my clip for several days and I was going to church! I put a ton of hairspray in it because otherwise it would never stay like this. I didn't get any compliments but I don't usually talk to many people. The only thing I don't like is having to brush out my hair after I use hair product. I break so many of those fine hairs and it drives me crazy! I don't know how people do stuff to their hair all the time with hair dryers, curling irons, sprays and gels. No wonder their hair is damaged! If only my hair would stay wavy all day. Oftentimes I will take out my hair clip before bed and say to myself, "Man, it looks great! Why can't it look great for daytime!" I do put my hair up into the clip when it's slightly damp (after letting it air dry most of the way in a low ponytail with a clip), so that's how I get the wave.

Abishai and Daddy went to pat pat Ava's car before service since we were so early. We pat patted Benaiah's car in Grandma's driveway, too.

I found this on Facebook. Isn't it gorgeous?!

We showed Daddy how we use this apparatus at the playground as the jail! Check out those blue eyes! I think technically they might be mostly blue with a little bit of green aka hazel, but I like to pretend they are pure blue. And the freckles! I need to sunblock him up, too!


I had to reposition the camera aka my phone to get Daddy more in focus. Daddy pretended to go on his lunch break so Abishai could escape.

The lonely inmate.

Pretending to take a nap so the guard will walk away.

It's a tickle torture chamber!


No, Abishai didn't fall off, but I have never seen this merry go round go so fast! Abishai was slipping a bit at one point and when he got off, he stumbled because he was dizzy!


I decided to go on the newly built wide asphalt path through the woods behind the Wolf Run Park. I had no idea it would go so far and connect to two neighborhoods! It was a total of 1/2 mile in length! I passed two retention ponds that also connected to this original creek bed. There was a big bridge that went over the creek bed as well. The path ended at the top of a steep hill on a newly paved road at the back of the subdivision where houses hadn't been built yet. Most of these houses are HUGE, too. Great walkway and I'm glad people from the subdivisions can use it. I saw several people on my little jaunt. I went back there to see for myself what it was so I can let the other moms know at our park days and then we can decide if we want the children to go back there on their own or not. I would say the older kids are find, but the younger ones, no, because of the risk of the retention ponds and stream. And maybe not all the way. It's pretty private, but perverts lurk everywhere. I did see a chalk drawing of male reproductive anatomy on the asphalt. Sigh. Hopefully that will be kept to a minimum as this isn't a widely advertised pathway.

Sweet!


He needed a little bit of encouragement to climb it with bigger shoes on, but he did it!

I actually took a real 1 mile walk today! See! I did it!






The End

No comments:

Post a Comment