Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Year 2, Day 234: Back at It

The problem with being behind 9 days on blogging is that I don't remember what we did!  So, these will be short and sweet and I'll go off the pictures I did take.  Remember, I didn't take as many pictures because I didn't want to take the time to go through them.  Plus, I know I went headlong into starting school.  Well, school prep and setting the schedule and tweaking it.  Usually I have everything planned out perfectly before we start.  But, Grandpa and Shauna wanted to start Bible class this week, and I know my kids are itching to have some structure.  I have switched up a good portion of our schedule and even some of our curriculum and approach to things from what I learned throughout last year at co op, or on blogs, but especially through podcasts, and learning about Classical Conversations, which sparked a long, entralling rabbit trail of educating myself on the Classical method of education.  We are still mixing and matching methods, but I have a much firmer grasp and where and how I want to take the middles in their educational journeys.  I'm sure I'll have it perfected for Abishai, or, he'll be extremely different and I'll have to scratch everything and try something new.  And that's why I hold on to several different types of curriculum.  Plus, it's fun to have it on hand for others to look through and borrow.

Anyway, yes, we implemented the rough outline of our new routine.  It's not a schedule.  A schedule is tied strictly to the clock in my opinion, and while I did put down times for everything, there's only a handful that are usually right on the money, like wake up time, naptime, dinner, and bedtime.  Mostly, I wanted the kids to start getting up and going a little faster, and myself as well.  With the summer lazy's, we tend to waste a lot of our morning time.  And by waste, I mean watching YouTube videos or playing on our phones or goofing off in general.  Actually wrestling with each other, or playing in the pool, etc are not "waste."  I digress.  And I'm super happy that we've eased into school because we've had to do a lot of tweaking already.  I was hoping to do a morning time that included Abishai, but I'm going to have to work with him on how to play quietly first.  So, for now, I switched our easy read aloud back to the afternoon.  I also need to be on point to get this potty training thing going.  But that's another story.  I am also glad we are starting to count our days, although we are not doing every subject, because then we aren't rushing to get them done at the end of the year.  I still feel like we are sort of on summer break, too, because it's not everything everyday.  I guess I need the slow start as well. 

Point is, it's good to do something new and different.  Each season of life requires new and different.  Benaiah is back to school and oh man is his workload heavy! I knew it would be and that he'd have to give up some of the extra volunteer time at church.  He just has to remember not to take out his frustration on lack of time and/or sleep on the rest of us.  "Poor planning on your part doesn't cnstitute an emergency on my part."  And he is learning it, as am I.  And Jared is, too.  They are working on the final edits and print proofs for a new book, so that has taken some time.  And now Jared has to also prepare lectures for the Bible class for the upperclassmen at Benaiah's school twice a week.  Fun!  But, we are all using our gifts, honing our skills, and that's important.

I had pancakes today, but I am tired of all the sugary breakfasts, so I told them they could only have 1 kind of sweet on them, either sprinkles OR syrup, not both.  In fact, I made a list of appropriate breakfasts and if we make or buy anything sweet, then it's a treat for after lunch of dinner, even if it's a "breakfast" pastry.  This is a set of princess sprinkles, so the yellow ones are crowns (Sleeping Beauty).

These are Cinderella's glass slippers.

Snow White's poisoned apples.

Pearls? Snow for Elsa?  I don't know.

Running everywhere all the time, crazy!

Unless he's sleepy and watching his TV shows.

2nd official day of school included Bible Class.  All 4 are doing it altogether this year.

Chatting with the girls after class is done.  "Nore! Truck!"
Newest obsession is "Daddy, horsey!" and then Abishai will go for Jared's ears and Jared says, "Ew, yucky!" and shakes his head.

Abishai has to be roughed up (loved up) before bed or he won't settle.  Thankfully, if it's just me putting him to bed, it's not as rough or long as when Daddy does it (which is most nights).

If anyone knows about Rubix cubes, it's Benaiah and his friends.  Well, Willie was so impressed with Benaiah's skills and general demeanor, that he insisted that Donna order a name brand pro cube (we are talking major bucks here) for Benaiah as a reward.  So totally unexpected.  I wish I had my video camera going because Benaiah was jumping up and down and falling down and rolling around on the ground in disbelief and awe like a little kid going to Disney World.   What a tremendous gift of generosity and encouragement for someone who has gone through a lot in the last few years.  What a blessing!

If we all could brighten each others' days with little, medium, or big gestures like this instead of fighting over a whether or not to tear down a Civil War statue, we would be shining the light and hope of Christ to a dark world.  Wow.

Morning snuggle time.  And yes, we know we need new sheets that will actually stay on the bed.

Awww, puppy snuggles.

Pretty clouds!

No comments:

Post a Comment