Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Year 2, Day 243: Operation Boys' Room

I finally laid down the lay and said, enough is enough!  The boys' room was still not organized from the move.  Plus we had to add in some things from storage.  Plus the sliding closet doors got stuck again.  So, I told the boys and Jared last night that we would be up and running by 9 am.  That includes breakfast and iPod time.  Bwahahaha, nope!  For once, Abishai slept until 8 am, and we didn't get started until nearly 10.  But we did manage to get a bunch accomplished in there.  Now Justin has a bunch of mini projects to organize his Legos and stashes of stuff.  Benaiah's stuff is kind of minimal because he purged a ton before we left PEI.  I know he won't take it all to college, so we made sure to leave space for him in the closet for what we've gotten out of storage.  Abishai only has clothes in the room, so it's basically Justin's indecisiveness about what to get rid of that makes the room a disaster.  Ok, he's in charge of all the Legos, too.  Which is a massive project in and of itself, but he made some headway with that.

I wanted Jared to put up shelving, which didn't happen, because he didn't know that was part of the plan, plus, he got sidetracked on a couple of other necessary projects, one being to redo one of Keturah's butterfly shelves that broke.  Because it's a long weekend, though, we will hang her shelves and the shelves and big pictures in the living room no matter what!  We took some 3D puzzles and games made with Lego pieces that were still intact, out of the boys' closet and they will go on a shelf in the living room once Jared puts that shelf in it's proper place in the bookshelf.  The pegs for it are giving us difficulty, so I need him to wedge everything in place for me.

Meanwhile, Keturah is going to need an overhaul of her own "projects" that are taking up space on her floor.  She gets into her own organizational things, but doesn't always full finish them.  She's got several buckets of random things as well.  We recently went through her clothes and refolded them all, and put them in the proper drawers and the 7 cubby hanging thing I got her.  She had just been throwing everything into the closet and quickly shutting the door, which I hate.  I share the closet with her, so I would like to keep it organized thanks.  In fact, I might have to use more of it for my winter clothes.

Then Benaiah went to church to do the camera, Jared, I and Abishai took naps, and the others watched electronics.  It was a beautiful day, and had I taken the time to recognize that, I would have shooed us all out this morning.  But the inside projects need done, too.  My brother called and updated me on their situation, health and financial and relational.  It was a great conversation!  Then it was off to church, and finally to Aldi's for a big haul of groceries.  I hate living paycheck to paycheck, but that's where we are at again, so we had to wait skimp on groceries last week before the paycheck came in this week.  That made this week's grocery bill higher than usual.  I had to take a good 30 minutes rearranging the pantry shelves, which were pretty bare, to fit it all in and revamp it.  I had set up in such a way for July and August for the Whole 30 program so I wouldn't reach for the stuff I couldn't have.  Now I can have some of those things again, so I needed to see what needed to be eaten up first.

I hate slide closet doors that hang from just one track!  Oh my goodness! Just can't stand them.  So, off they go!  We'll probably replace with a shower curtain rod and either a curtain or shower curtain or something, probably cut in two so we can easily open up the closet.  The box is there with the 3D puzzles and Lego games.

Disaster from Boy #1 sorting through clothes and stuff.

Lego corner.

Misused space.

In progress.

I need to see the floor!  Especially since there isn't much of it because of all the other furniture in there.

Comparing toes while eating a late supper.  Abishai likes to milk the hugs and extra attention, especially when it's time for bed.

Doors are off and space made to bring Benaiah's stuff in from the garage.  The dresser is Abishia's, Justin has clothes and a box in the middle (the other two boxes are Abishai sheets and Abishai cloth diapers).  I didn't sort any of the boys' clothes today because it's not quite time for the season switch yet.

We finally put up for display some of Justin's Legos that had been on the dresser on the airplane shelf that was Jared's, and was put up a month ago.  This made more space on the dresser for the other Lego sets.  He's got quite a few large, collectible type Lego sets that need to be kept up and away from his little brother's hands.

We had a bunch of bedding in the closet, so I moved it to the shelves under the bunk bed that weren't being used.  The two boxes on the left are books that need a shelf to go on that will go right there (we need to purchase one).  The other box is more stuff of Justin's he needs to sort and put in the drawers there.  Benaiah was going to have those drawers, but now doesn't need them.  We also cleared out some shoes and clothes in the big dresser to absorb some of Benaiah's winter clothes that are now stored elsewhere.

Slight progress here, but this will be the ongoing project where all the Legos are stored.

Every kid wishes that they could slide down the big banister at church!  Lots of happy squealing from this little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment