Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Friday, September 15, 2017

Year 2, Days 254 & 255 Quieter Days

Ah, finally, after a meltdown on Tuesday, I'm feeling better about life in general, and more relaxed as a whole.  Why the meltdown?  Well, I was frustrated that the kids seemed to be robbed of their free time and I can't get any non school business done.  So, I took Wednesday off from history and science lessons and just having that little break made it all seem a bit better.  I got my phone calls made.  They got a little more screen time.

Then, today, Thursday, Justin and I timed how long it took him to do his different subjects and rounded up a bit to get the maximum time it would take him.  His whole day of schooling, whether independent work, work with me and Keturah, and his chores, equals a total of 5 hrs.  He's awake for 14 hrs or so.  That leaves 9 hrs to eat, use the bathroom, bathe, and putz around on Minecraft, play with Legos, play with his siblings, etc.  So, no, I wasn't overburdening him.  In fact, he did concentrate hard this morning, and didn't play as much in between subjects, and got his work done before noon.  It is hard to resist the toddler's antics, but you either play now and you don't finish until later or focus hard and get done and have more concentrate free time later. So, I'm feeling better about his workload.  Especially if you look into a public or private school kid's schedule, there's not time to play.

Now I'm thinking that we will not do history and science or even read alouds on Wednesday afternoon, but that will be our free afternoon to work on other things.  Tomorrow we have a field trip, so that will play a role in the day, but it's something we can work around.  We did have to work around having the termite guys do their drilling all day today, so we manage with all kinds of interruptions.  Abishai didn't nap until 3 pm because they were drilling near his bedroom at his normal naptime at 2.  But he slept almost 3 hrs, even with a bit more drilling, so all was good.

I'm working on getting a new doctor(s) for myself and the kids, so I'm calling around to see who will take our insurance.  It's a very tricky thing because people were kind enough to give me recommendations, but according to our insurance's website, they aren't a part of our plan.  It's more work, but we'll see what happens.  I put a call into Healthnet, which is a network of providers for low income families.  One clinic is near our old place in Beech Grove, which is actually closer than going clear down to Greenwood with all it's traffic and such.  While I wish I could get in with some of old doctors, I don't hold out much hope for it.  I'm not terribly picky either when it comes to a primary care doctor because it's for routine stuff like prescriptions and the occasional cough that won't go away, and annual physicals for the kids, and immunizations (which can be done at the health department).  So, I'm hoping to get something set up soon.

Benaiah is still at his overnight retreat with his school, and he comes back tomorrow (Friday).  I can't wait to hear all his stories!  I saved some pictures off of Facebook of their first day and they are having a lot of fun!  Then the boy has mowing and tech stuff to do all weekend.  He's been invited to help out with a woman's event at church doing some soundbooth/tech stuff, and I believe he's getting paid for it.  How cool!  It's the little things like this that are just so affirming to him and to us that he's going in a good direction with his life.  He's on track.

Keturah finally picked up her room enough to please me.  I know she can do it.  And I know she's a creative person and the mess doesn't bother her.  But I can only handle it for so long.  I didn't make her sort stuff, so she just put it in bins randomly.  I told her that when she starts to sort again, do what the "Flylady" suggests and only get out what you can deal with and put away in 15 minutes.  That means just 1 cube box or one shelf or one drawer at a time.  That's why our house has been unpacked in stages.  And now that the termite work is done, we'll clean up from that and go get the rest of our boxes in the next few days.  We still can't put anything close to where the termites are because it will take 30-40 days for them to find the poison, carry it to their nests, and die.  I can't wait to have it all organized.  Oh, and I have dryer hooked up as well!  I hate home repair projects, and we have another big one on the horizon, but they have to be done before things get worse.  Just like Keturah's room.  The floor was starting to be completely covered with stuff leaving no pathway to the window or door in an emergency.  Clean up now and have less to worry about later.

And I can finally have enough time to pick up the big camera and take pictures of the everyday.

Abishai brought out the dolls again, and has been taking very good care of them.  This baby is enjoying some screen time with Abishai.

Night night baby.

Abishai has some companions for breakfast.

Termite nasties. It's definitely bad.

Wow! Pure red!  Time to pick it yet?  I hope so!

Lonely flower that was hard to get into the right focus so I could get a picture.  I need photography lessons!

My little smurf wearing Mommy's shoes.

Abishai was all over the place today bringing us toys while we did our lessons and lots of snuggle time.

Aww, sweet!  Would have been sweeter without the paci.

You should hear the way this boy says, "mustard!"  Jared and Abishai put mustard on their pizzas.  Ewww......so now Abishai has a mustard colored nose and is in need of a bath.

Bathtime!

Toga wearing toddler.  Perfect timing with us studying ancient Greece and Ramon times in history.

Brothers playing video games together.

Why yes, Abishai has a pair of Justin's pants on!  And he wouldn't take them off! He kept having to hike them up.  I'm glad he wants to be like this big brother. 
Keturah's gymanstics gym is a perfect place to line up all his cars.  And the aw moment this morning was when I put those overalls on Abishai and he said, "Betsy? Friends?" He associated the nicer pants to going to church to see Betsy!  Sweet!

This is what they call "conditioning."  There are exercises like we would do to strengthen the core and endurance.  As Mrs. Chisty said, they practice running because they need a good run when they do vault and their flips on the floor.

Working hard on the balance beam!

I think these bloomed again! And this time they have white in them!

Abishai was a bit needy today and wanted to bring in all his toys so he could be close to us.  He played with color wonder markers and dot dot paints and cars, cars, cars!

Baby isn't wearing a bib, she's wearing a cape! Swoosh, swoosh!

"Show Dan!" He thought the termite guys being here meant that Dan was here and he wanted to Dan his babies.  He and the dog definitely notice what's going on all the time.

Oh no! A new problem!  Nasty musthrooms right under and near the big tire swing!  These clusters are 12 inches across!  I have never seen such an invasion before!  Eww!!!

Jared put up the birdhouse that Benaiah built at the Lowe's Build and Grow program 8 or 9 years ago.  We finally have a tree to put it on!

One last picture of the goof ball looking smurf (or Mickey Mouse for those who don't like Smurfs).  Curious George this one is.  Busy, busy, too.  At least I had more time to sit and play with him, too.  That definitely helps my mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment