Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Year 4, April 27th-28th, 2019: Behind the Scenes of Gary's Endgame

 Quick Edit:
Gary's transition weekend pictures and videos are all over the place and numerous.  Therefore, I'm having to jump around and figure out how to give all of it the right amount of attention.  So, I'm starting with this post, which will be all of the pictures and videos of normal family life that are not as related to Gary's open house and passing the baton "ceremony."  Those two events will be shown in the two following blog posts labeled as Endgame Part 1 and Part II.  That way if people want to share that with their friends and family who don't know us personally, they can do that.  So, here we go with our normal family life!
 
Original Post:
I had to jump on here real quick (actually that's an Instagramer's favorite infamous phase because it's never "quick.") because wow, what a way to start an epic weekend!  We just got home from watching Avengers: Endgame and I'm so glad the Russo brothers kept everybody, including the cast, in the dark.  So many twists and turns and you never knew what was actually going to happen.  But, it's the Endgame, it's the end of an era in the MCU, just as it's the end of an era for Indian Creek Christian Church and the Gary Johnson family.  I could go on and on about how superhero comics and movies and stories represent the human race.  And how stories, however far fetched, are vital to our societies.  I learned that long ago in Brenton Dickieson's class at MCC that I audited.  But, to watch this particular movie, first thing this morning (it was a 9:30am showing and was 3 hrs long not including previews and credits), just started the waterworks for the whole entire weekend.  As the MCU as been producing films over the last 11 years, so have we been producing babies, had moves, had conflicts, and had restorations.  And then it's time for that chapter to end and a new one to begin.  time to start sending the fledglings out to spread their wings.  Time for the original ones to retire.  But you get the point.  And then, it's all about being one big family.  One UNITED family, and I'm reminded once again about how divided the Church is, how divided our Country is, how divided our World is.  Why can't we be like the Avengers, set aside our differences, reconcile and restore our relationships in order to defeat evil?  Well, God and his angels defeat Satan and his minions, but you know what I mean.  Why can't we just stand together?  One body, one cause.  I still enjoy the superhero franchises.  I don't follow it or get as giddy as I used to be.  But we "grew up" with this MCU thing as Keturah was born the same year that the first Ironman movie arrived (of the current MCU, I know there's plenty of other films out there).  This movie had to be 3 hours to tell it's story, and there were parts where the story advanced too quickly without giving much context, but they had to cut scenes to make it 3 hrs.  Jared says we have to own this movie.  Even he, who rolls his eyes most of the time with the derp a derp nerdy stuff, said it was an awesome sendout.  Jared cried, but only because of the family relationships, like the daughter telling Tony Stark she loves him 3,000 just like Abishai unpromptedly says "I love you" to him.  And now, I just wish Disney would leave the franchise alone.  It is complete, it has come full circle.  Epic. Done. Endgame.

Ready to go to Grandma's Bible study because he will not be able to sit through a 3 hr movie.  And he's super proud of his monster truck boots, his monster truck shirt, and his Thomas the Tank backpack full of his toys.

Falling into the weekend like....


The Avengers: Endgame crew.  Ava saw it already yesterday, but 3 hrs of cuddling is 3 hrs of cuddling.  They will both see it again with their school friends next week.

A little bit excited, but not that excited and we had no idea it was going to be so epic!
Ready, set, go!  And yes, I did take a bathroom break!  3 hrs is a super long time!
I said, "Cheese." and Abishai posted just like this!

Adorable!

He and another little boy like the blue spotlights, so I just let them carefully check them out.  The other boy's dad is on the worship team as well, so both knew not to touch any equipment.

I...can't...even...
Just a little boy enjoying what a blue light does to the color his skin.

A child's fascination with the little things is a reminder to us to stop, breathe, observe, and think.

I should have worn this for Easter, which was warmer than today.  But I wasn't in the mood.  Today I was.

We all went out to eat with Dan and his family and Jeff Faull, the preacher of the day and great friend of Gary's.  Hudson, Dan and Keren's little one, is so adorable!  And Abishai loves babies, and kept asking if Hudson needed fries or pop.  Hudson had already fallen asleep in Dan's arms from being in the nursery during both services so Keren could be on stage.  I guess he doesn't sleep well in public.  But Dan and Keren are very laid back parents.  We love our new sweet Lead Servant and his little family!

Keren, Hudson, Dan, and Benaiah.  We went to Wheatley's in Wanamaker because we knew it would be quick, easy on the wallet, and quiet.  Everyone else at church heads towards Southport Rd and I-65 or Greenwood.  We had the place to ourselves for the most part.  They serve fried chicken and fried pork tenderloin sandwhiches with a couple of sides.  Biscuits and gravy, too.  Oh and desserts.

Leah, Gary, and Jeff Faull.  Abishai, Justin and Jared are just off camera.  Keturah was at church for her monthly Kidustrial Park worship team practice.

Check out the next two blogs for all the pictures and videos from this weekend!
 As I posted on my Instagram with those videos and pictures of Benaiah, I know that it's a worship service.  I know the praise goes to God, and guess what, I AM praising God that my son is using his self taught talents for Jesus!  For all the bad rap that teens get, we need to celebrate these incredible moments.  Especially when I can also thank a lot of the Creative Arts team for pouring themselves into Benaiah and help him mature into the young man he is.  They all took a chance on this teenager, and we are forever grateful.  I do not take videos and pictures of Benaiah every time he plays.  But, just as others post pictures and videos of their kids in band or show choir or recitals or sports, this IS what my kid does as his "hobby" or his "sport" and I want to share that with others, partly as a proud parent, but also as a mom celebrating what God has done in his life.  He absolutely LOVES playing drums in the band.  He LOVES being with these creative arts people.  They are a family to him.  He loves just hanging out with them, even above hanging out with his peers.  And for THAT alone, I am grateful.

The worship team getting ready to go on stage.  I asked Benaiah if I could go backstage at the 4:30pm service because I had no volunteer work to do and I knew I wanted to be there and get pictures from the balcony during the passing of the baton ceremony.  He said I could, that it doesn't make him nervous or anything.  Phew! What a special privilege to watch him "doing his thing."

Wow, the sound mix is incredible different from this direction, obviously, because you hear the instruments not just what is coming through the speakers.  So cool!

I love these light boards in the background.  They change color to subtlety change the mood from song to song.






And now from the balcony at the end of the service.

Kids' choir dance team practicing.  Tonight they are running through their musical on the big stage!  Dress rehearsal on Wednesday and performance is next Saturday!

Keturah going over her lines.

Mike Spence, on of the church elders, took this photo after the 4:30 pm service.  It will be the last time they walk down this hallway like this while Gary is on staff.  And Mike said that it's probably the way they walked into the job 29 years ago.  Very fitting.

100 views!  (Ignore the fact that I've been watching videos all about behind the scenes at Disney World.  And I have no idea why they would suggest the Kevin Costner's thing.

The 12 minute video is trending a bit! 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment