Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Friday, May 3, 2019

Year 4, April 29th-May 2nd, 2019: New Beginnings

Today was a slow and steady recovery day.  We worked steadily on chores, homework, playing, etc. just doing the next right thing.  The weather was beautiful out, but even then I didn't push anyone to go outside.  Benaiah went to school and Jared went to work.  I woke up at 8am when Gary texted us to stay how well Benaiah had driven his stick shift Veloster to school in morning traffic.  Then Abishai got up next, Justin got up at 8:30am, and then Keturah slept in until almost 10am!  Well, she did have KP worship team rehearsal and and then had to perform for the KP worship team AND then she had a longer rehearsal for kids' choir as well.  She was a little prideful in telling others how long she was going to be at church today, but I think she's also trying to compete with the rest of us who are there all day.  She wants to feel important, too.  Otherwise, it was a normal day.  My normal Monday appointment was switched to Wednesday, and I'm glad it was because I didn't feel like going anyway.  I put away two loads of laundry and cooked dinner.  Children all bathed.  And I worked a lot on figuring out all these weird blog posts.  Technically I'm not done yet as I write this, but I need to make sure I write down the fresher stories as well as work on the older stories.  I just had to determine how I wanted to present it all, and as you can tell, I split it up into personal family stuff, the open house, and the handing over of the baton ceremony.  But like Aaron asked, did Gary survive his first day at his first new job in 29 yrs?  A resounding yes!  No meetings, no sermon prep, lots more breathing room.  And Aaron retorted, "Oh good, now Jared doesn't have to have staff meetings by himself anymore."  Lol.  Tomorrow we go on a field trip and it's going to rain the next three days, so we'll see how this week really goes!

"I want to dress up so I can get Justin while he's mowing."  "Is this is a good guy or a bad guy?"  "Is this a Bobo Fett costume?" I'm so glad we've kept the costumes!



And that's when your video makes the most impact.  Actually a vlogger I follow posted this little video on YouTube of his kid wearing a hot dog costume to bed and it did go very viral.  Every major network picked it up.  This family is just a simple 5 person family in Alabama.  An everyday family who actually doesn't vlog much anymore. Sweet family, not many followers on social media.  And then BAM, they went viral.  CRAZY!

Alrighty, again, if you say it publicly on social media, mama is allowed to screenshot it right?  I can't wait to follow up on what he really means by some of these words....

Just one of the pics he posted with the above statement.  Sigh.  I think our boy has fallen a little head over heals for this girl.  We don't mind.  It's so sweet.

Keturah's last kids' choir performance is this next Saturday!  Then we have a year break before Abishai can join.  I'm so grateful to Cristy Tapp and her dedication to these productions for the last 14 or so years.  Yeah!

Justin didn't think he drew the Mexican flag for school very well.  I beg to differ.

Check out that detail!

Another day, another tweaking of the police station.  He said, "Sit with me, Mom."  And I finally changed out the tablecloth.  The other set up was very dingy and I was tired of how it looked.  Now the table looks a bit busier, but it's different.  We use tablecloths because I don't want to ruin the wood underneath when we still have preschooler around. We didn't do that with our first kitchen table, so I don't know why I feel I need to do that now.  Easier clean up?  I don't know.

God's garden!  Natural violets came up where I had pulled those nasty thorny weeds last week.    Very pretty!

Cloudy "is it going to storm?" weather with variably winds that were not good for flying a kite.  So we played on the swings instead.  And Socks kept watch.  Gorgeous puppy.  We tried to get him to run around a bit, but he didn't last long.  I told Justin to make him run every day after he brushed him and made we could increase his stamina a bit and keep his joints healthy.

The boy and his dog.  I pray that Socks will be with us all the way through Justin's high school years.  Justin is the closet person to Socks.
Happy, healthy dog in his soft grassy yard watching over some of his people.

Justin, push me higher than Mommy, hehehehe!!  These two are such best buds and I'm sure when Justin leaves the nest, Abishai is going to go through a time of withdrawal.  "Justin, come play with me!  Justin! Justin! Justin!"

"Daddy, I just want to give it a high five!"  No! Don't touch the drone!

Awww, aren't they the sweetest?!  Here's our new lead servant and his little family!  Introducing Lead Servant Dan Hamel, with his wife Keren, and baby boy Hudson. Welcome to our church, Hamels!  We already love and appreciate you!
Tuesday we went to the National Weather Service's Indianapolis Branch and talked with a couple of meteorologists.  I'm sure the kids were bored, but I learned some things about who is in charge of what.  I guess they all collaborate and make their own forecasts.  The only thing that the NWS dictates to TV stations are the weather watches and warnings.  Otherwise they all look at the same models (each station has their own set of models even!) and then create their own forecasts.  Another thing to remember is that the NWS is funded by taxpayers whereas TV station weather departments, including the Weather Channel, are not.  They are a business first and foremost.  So we got to see the computers, and had some things explained like the Upper Air department that deals with the weather balloons.  Did you know that there's 139 NWS branches and maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of them launch weather balloons in the air twice a day?  Yup!  And if they are near an airport, they call ahead to the call tower and tell them to hold traffic for 10 minutes while the balloon goes.  It comes down in about 45 minutes but by then there's not more balloon because it popped because of atmospheric pressure.  The equipment is sometimes found and refurbished but most of the time, it just gets damaged and lost.  I'm not sure that's the best use of taxpayer money, but it's what they have.  And in typical government fashion, their technology is older because they aren't funded as well as they could be.  The doppler radar runs 24/7 and is about 25 yeras old.  It has had some major repairs in the last few years and they plan to do some more in the next few years.

Abishai was the cutest though.  He said he was tired so I let him sit on the floor by my feet because he was being quiet about it.  He did take an interest in the computers, though, and asked to see the thunderstorms.  Then we went to a meeting room, he kept raising his hand to "ask questions" but really he just wanted to make some comments like, "When it's raining we put on our jackets and it's all better."  "Thunderstorms are scary.  Thunderstorms at night make me scared."  It was the cutest thing because no other kids were raising their hands.  Abishai was being very studious and listened well.  And then when he saw the doppler radar tower outside that looked just like the one the meteorologist had shown us on his presentation, he made the connection and was excited to walk a few steps away from the van to see it.  The other two kids just got right into the van.  I'm hoping that after making mistakes with the other three I know how to keep his curiosity going this time.  Just like each pregnancy I had, I have new and better goals for each kid I raise. Poor oldest child, the guinea pig.  Oh, and I made an appointment for Benaiah's driver's test today, as well as contacted the insurance agent.  Woot! Woot!  They are all growing up.

Abishai has now been sleeping for 2 hrs, so it's time to wake him up and take him to Rooted tonight.
Small out of the way building on a dead end.

Right across "the road" (aka the 8 lane highway) from the Indianapolis International Airport.  Whenever the "official" results come in from a storm or even the high temperature for Indianapolis, the measurements are taken with instruments at the airport. Not all weather stations are near airports but some of them are.  So, if the airport gets 6 inches and we get 8 inches, then they won't send out plowing crews on the side streets.  With a geographically large area and for whatever a very diverse weather pattern from the north side to the south side, I don't think it makes much sense, but hey, I'm not in charge.

You can see the airport terminal way off in the distance.

The main communicaitons room.  Typically very quiet and never frantic, even during big storms.  At least 2 people are on staff at all times, 24/7.  Daily forecasts are updated every 3 hrs, 3 and 7 day forecasts every 12 hrs.  Three shifts and you are not always on the same shift.  They vary weekly.  Even the start of your work week changes.

Keeping an eye on local news stations reporting weather.  It's not a rivalry but a collaborative effort.  Oh, and all you need is a B.S. in Meteorology, maybe a Masters, and if you want to work in research, then maybe a Ph.D.  Most salaries start at $40-50K but quickly climb as you stay with the the NWS with the top tier earning about $100K per year.  It also takes less than $5 of taxpayer money per person per year to provide this service.  It's one of those behind the scenes jobs that no one thinks about.  But I think it would be fun!  Although, you do have to take 2 years worth of college level calculus. Eek!

Pretty nerdy guys, although this one was a bit more excited and talkative than the other one was.  But still, people skills/communication through big speeches probably aren't their first love.  The math and science IS their first love.  And here's a secret, I've always loved weather!  Every since a weatherman from a local station did a presentation with a group of homeschoolers using a felt board and felt clouds and such.  I believe his name was Big Al or Weird Al or something like that (not the Al guy on the Today Show).  He was a little weird.  I like the Twister movie and watched it multiple times.  I will watch the weather reports during hurricane season and all the little video clips. It's so fascinating and such an applicable to everyday life science!


Look, Mom, it's the radar they talked about!  And he didn't hesitate when I asked him if he wanted to take a picture in front of it.  The dome just protects the equipment inside and doesn't prevent the equipment from working.

Abishai must be really tired.  I was able to transfer him from the car to the chair where he fell right back to sleep. I wish I could have napped!


What's my buddy doing here? I need to sniff him and find out.

Mom, is he sleeping?

Ok, I'll guard him!

Yes! Gary already put these on the wall!  I tried to take some pictures but I'm not sure how easy these are for you to read.  Please visit the e2 office anytime to take a look!  This is INCREDIBLE and UNEXPECTED.  And then I had to stare a them during our Rooted meeting because that's the space we use for it.  And, I went to my negative thinking of how are Jared and I ever going to live up to this?  We aren't.  We have to make our own pathways.  But I have to admit, I cringe every time Gary mentions the verse on how (my paraphrase) "children are a blessing are a gift from the Lord, great is the man with a quiver full (and by the way, that doesn't mean having 10 children.  Your quiver might actually be only able to hold 2 of them).  Like arrows in the hands of a warrior, are children to their fathers."  And how arrows can go where the warrior cannot.  Well, how much farther can Jared and Aaron go than Gary has already gone?  How can be carry on that legacy and make the next steps for it?  I'm not sure of that yet.  For now, what I've told Keren, Dan's wife, is that we can be a bridge between those who have been at the Creek for the last 30 years and the younger generation.  We can be champions and cheerleaders and first adopters of wherever the elders and Dan lead us.  We can continue to correct people when the rumors fly.  We can continue to defend leadership when necessary.  For example, (and I'm sure many people can do this) if Dan has a question about how something was done in the past, or if it was tried and failed, or what have you, we can be a congregant's voice as to what it looked like from our side of the story.  Anyway, I still sometimes feel like Jared and I are just floaters, not really sure where we are supposed to be at this moment, what our roles really are, especially at church because we aren't leading anything.  Which is fine, we didn't want to lead, and we don't have to, but it's just a built in part of our DNA so it sometimes feels odd when we don't.  I do co lead our Indian Creek parent homeschool group.  So, yes, the physical transition is over.  We've gone through a lot of the emotions and side effects, but we or at least I still have a ways to go.  I still feel inadequate to be following after Gary and Leah's footsteps.  Probably always will.

Yes!  It was an actual resolution and I'm guessing it was actually read on the senate floor!  I had heard a resolution when we were at the state house a couple of years ago about marking a certain day Black History month or something.  Anyway, so official!  And how many people get one of these in their honor?!  Wow!


And then this thing.  Here, I will link the Wikipedia article on it because it's a very, very, very high honor for our state.  I have no words but wow.
 Sagamore of the Wabash





Again, you really have to go see this in person to appreciate it.  I had to explain to Keturah that this was taken with a wide angle lens, not a iPhone's panoramic setting.  Just again, wow.  Thank you to whoever actually thought to capture and then captured this moment.  This embodies the day in and day out of preaching in a mega church.  As Jeff Faull stated, every year, a preacher writes the same amount of pages as a couple of small books, and has to come up with new material every single week.  That's a lot of pressure.  And then preach it 1-5 times.  From 200 people 30 years ago to a record breaking 7,300 on Easter weekend.  Incredible!  Average attendance is still hovering around 4,000 people a Sunday (and that includes Shelby St.'s numbers).  But wow, Dr. Gary Lee Johsnon, the preacher man.

Ah, there she is.  The rocking chair.  I hope I explained it in the weekend blogs, but basically, when someone in our church turns 90, they receive a rocking chair just like this.  Well, they thought Gary needed it earlier than that.  However, we know for a fact that the grandchildren will sit in it and play on it 1,000x more than Gary will because he still won't be around much.  (I'm still trying to grasp that fact and be ok with it.)

Perfect space for these!

Poppies!

See!  Already a grandchild has taken over!  "I rock, Mommy, and drink my water.  I'm Grandpa!"  If anyone is like Grandpa, it's you, kid.  How appropriate!


And tonight, another special evening is happening, this time in Nashville, TN.  Michael W. Smith's friends have put together an amazing set list and guest list celebrating the 35th anniversary of the song "Friends."  I could have gone to it, but after looking at this month's calendar, I said no, I have to much already and family always, always, always, comes first.  Thankfully I have friends that will share pics and video clips and the event will air on TV at some point.  But to me it's worth mentioning here because Michael W. Smith is such a huge part of my life story, just as much as the Johnsons have been to be honest, and since he and Gary are only a year apart in age, it's only fitting that they celebrate some milestones in the same week.  They are both hard working, humble men, who have stayed faithful in their careers for over 30 years.  How many of that generation or our generation can say that?  Not many.  That's dedication to God's calling (career wise), that's for sure.  Here's what I posted on the Official Friends Online Facebook page (the fan page, not the official Michael W. Smith business type page).

Facebook post:
I can't wait to see everyone's pics and vids tonight. I so totally could have made the effort to be there since I'm only 5 hrs away, however, we just celebrated my father in law's almost 30 years as the Lead Servant (lead pastor) of our church and smooth 3 yr transition passing the baton to the new guy this past Sunday. It's been a whirlwind of a month and I have a ton of other things this coming weekend, too. I know it doesn't make me any more or less of fan if I'm there or not, but well, family comes first! I know tonight's celebration is and was going to be epic. And I hope to catch him again on tour sometime. (Gotta love Indianapolis for all the tours we get to be a part of!) So all that to say, Well done, Good And Faithful Servant. Like you said earlier on Instragram, you feel you don't deserve it but you'll enjoy celebrating anyway. Because we are celebrating what GOD has done in and through you, not just YOU. As Solomon said, There's a time to mourn and a time to celebrate. And with all the mourning in the world, it feels so great to celebrate! Well done, Michael W. Smith, and I'm so grateful that I've been here for the last 26 years of your career! Be Bold, Be Faithful (as my father in law says). Congratulations!
1st picture from the 1st time I met Michael in 1998 in Worchester, MA. I had made the photo into an 8x10 and mailed it off to his fan club at the time for him to sign. I had also written a long letter and hand drew a piano on the envelope I gave him that evening. The 2nd picture was from a Christmas (I believe) concert in Indianapolis with Amy Grant in 2012(?). I've met him a couple of other times as well. His music greatly influenced me as a teen. My first concert of any artist was his Change Your World tour in 1993. I was 12. I've seen in numerous times since, the last time being at a church north of Indianapolis last year. I have all his albums on cd, bought some LP's of the first couple of albums off of eBay, have all the VHS tapes, books, movies (I was an extra in The Second Chance movie in the church scene), and even bought a life size cardboard stand up (eBay) in the late 90's. Yup, I'm that kind of fan, that is until I had 4 kids and a husband who come first of course, lol. I was part of the Friends Online community when it was just on the chatboards on the website. My point is, Michael W. Smith was my teen idol. And then a source of comfort in my adult life. And his music continues to impact me, just like it has all of you. 35 yrs is a long time to be in the same career. What a wonderful blessing! God bless, Michael!

P.S. Gavi Lopez, Michael's Compassion International sponsor child in the 80's and 90's, wrote this response on my post: Beautiful how cute they have it so close that god bless you Melinda Johnson

1st Meet and Greet in 1999 in Worcester, MA

4th time meeting him? In 20012 (?) in Indianapolis, IN
Wednesday was a blech of a day.  We weren't sure it was going to rain and I just felt like staying in bed all day, despite going to bed by 12:30 am the night before (that's early for me!).  I think the weather plays a huge part in our mood, and especially in our bodies when we have chronic inflammation issues.  I also ended up doing a lot of texting and emails and figuring out future events or when I'm going to do this or that errand and by lunch time I was done with humanity.  Everybody wanted my attention, but the kind of mundane, "Do I really have to do this?" kind of attention.  Not the "I think you're so wise and can help me" kind of attention.  Sigh.  And it really hit me that our lives are quite different than Gary and Leah's and I don't know how what we do and who we are will "go farther" or "do better" than Gary's career and life.  It's a standard no one can keep up with, and that saddens me because I want to make him proud.  It's not a mystery that I'm not a spiritual giant.  I have more drive and type A personality than Jared, but I don't have Gary's people skills.  I said this on a Facebook post, but I kind of understand how children of important people or celebrities feel when everyone looks up to them and you are following behind them in the shadow of their reputation.  And that's all I wanted to say.  Just a statement of my feelings.  I know I have a different purpose, and I can see that now a lot of the time.  Or maybe it isn't the whole important person thing, maybe it's just being a daughter (in law) and trying to feel accepted, although I know I already am.  I've been with the Johnsons longer than I've been with the Howells (my maiden name) now.  And my parents aren't here to pat me on the back and I don't have to really please them anymore, although I do think about what they would think and say about me often enough.  Gary and Leah are Dad and Mom to me.  So, I'm just very much like a child seeking approval.    That's all.  And I want to live up to what has been established from stage that we are the "arrows in hands of a warrior" going farther in life than they did.  I just don't know how that really plays out yet except for the tremendous pressure to do the right things because people look up to us.

But, perhaps not for much longer, and that will be a good thing.  Benaiah really appreciates that fact.  I just feel like I'm floating between two places and while I'm content in a lot of ways, the devil likes to come up and knock me down once in a while.  I'm grateful to have been super happy over the weekend, taking it all in, taking photos and videos and even talking to people!  I can execute and lead and be extroverted when I've properly prepared and I know I have rest time afterwards.  But, some of the old feelings have caught up to me.  And it's hard.  It's the human struggle.  And I'm ok with struggling.  I'll get through each part of the struggle eventually.  But I have to wrestle with it first. And hopefully I can share that with the children and help give them tools to navigate their thoughts and feelings, whatever they may be.

And that's all I got for Wednesday.  We tried to do some schoolwork, I played secretary, we had dinner at Gary and Leah's with some friends, Keturah had rehearsal and Justin had Bible Bowl.  Yup.  just chugging along.  Tomorrow is a new and busy day/.

"Mommy, what am I again? Am I the bad guy?"  Well, technically that's a Clone suit so they weren't the bad guys, yet, but I think he thinks it's a storm trooper bad guy outfit, so we ran with it.  Yes, I know too much about Star Wars I'm afraid.  Not a super nerdy fan, but I know some basic things.

Too cute!

He's way too little for it but he tries so hard!



And this is why our good friend Rhoda Valentine was asking about when Pastor Gary was going to be around.  Some people show their love through their cooking!  Wowzers!  Such unique and yummy stuff! From sauteed plantains and white sweet potatoes, to chicken sauce, to chicken wings, to a banana/rice flour doughnut type yummy to two kinds of rice to boiled eggs surrounded by sausage and a fried crust, I won't have to cook for days!  It couldn't have come at a better timing either.  I so appreciate it when people like Rhoda use their talents to love on people.  That's why she loves serving in the coffee shop at church, too.  She's one of my favorite sweetest ladies I know.  And she's from Africa originally, which is fun.  Being an African in a sea of white people has never bothered her.  Her husband came from there as well.  And their children grew up here.  Anyway, she's a special lady.  Thanks Rhoda!

Abishai set up his bad guy camp near the front door.

An up close look at the 50 roses Leah got on Saturday.  I believe it was 50 and then she spread them out around the house.  Well, 50 roses are usually given to a couple when they've been married for 50 years.  But maybe it's 29 roses, I don't know.  Still, they are gorgeous!

yup.

Boy, you are so smitten, it's not even funny.  But I'm glad you celebrate the little things!  I hope he keeps these notes forever! And I'm grateful that we have a relationship with her parents.  We couldn't ask for a better girlfriend for a boy.  Benaiah is so happy right now and we love it!  So sweet!
Thursday was a fun day! I had to run some errands and had moved my counseling appointment, and then taught my piano lesson.  Thankfully I didn't have to cook because of the generousity of our friend.  I didn't go over any schoolwork either because I felt exhausted and achy, and my knees were throbbing from driving.  It's also been off and on rainy, too, so I'm sure that's affecting my health.  But the little bit of gluten I consumed on Sunday is probably the biggest reason I'm hurting and out of it.  Who knows, but I plan to be more careful.  Hopefully I will feel better to enjoy the big weekend again.  Lots of sitting, which actually can be harder than standing. We'll see!  Abishai has a very runny nose, so he's been whiny all day and just wanted screen time, but I couldn't let him have that all day of course.  So the day went by quickly.

Benaiah's Instagram story

Another Benaiah Instagram story


But an extraordinary thing happened.  Now, this is probably not extraordinary to 99% of you.  I understand and get that and I'm ok with that.  I'll try to keep this story short, but it's God story, so here goes.  On Tuesday evening, there was an event in Nashville, TN, celebrating Michael W. Smith's 35 years in music (doing his own music, not as Amy's backup keys player).  I contemplating going because Nashville isn't that far, but it was a) on a Tuesday night and we had rooted b) money and c) I knew I would need to rest after all the festivities of the month.  So, opted not to go.  Family always comes first.  I knew my fan friends would go and take pictures and videos and share them on the Facebook fan page and they did.  That was good enough for me.  They are going to broadcast it on the TBN tv channel so perhaps I'll find it on YouTube someday (I don't have cable).

Well, I found out on Wednesday that a couple I know that have connections with CCM artists took another couple with them and attended the event.  And, yes, I was extremely jealous.  They know that I love this stuff and I helped them a lot when they sponsored concerts at our church.  We've been friends for 17 years or so.  But I tried to get over that quickly and tried to move on (unsuccessfully, remember yesterday was a moody day).  Then I get this text from this friend's secretary saying he wants me to come to his business office because he has something for me that he wants to hand me to me in person.  Ok, at first I thought it was something for Gary and Leah, but then when I saw the pictures on Facebook, I started making connections.  Maybe he got an autograph for me, maybe he bought a poster.  Maybe he has a booklet about the event they got for attending.  Who knows.  So, I arrive at his office today and he hands me this:

What in the world?!  Who am I to have such a treasure?


The explanation of how all the artists that sang received one, but they were also for sale. Yes, I know a $150 plaque!

The top of piano key! Signed by Michael W. Smith himself!

I have no idea if there's actual music on it, but it's a platinum album!

An unused All Access lanyard tag!

What it was all for!



Now this is one incredible piece of memorabilia.  Totally unexpected.  I'm guessing that the friend he knows in CCM didn't want her plaque that was given to all the 50 or so artists that sang during this celebration and gave it to him for keeps.  I did find out later that it was also for sale.  Either way, it's an incredible gift because at the most, 300 of them were made.  And if you've been around long enough in the industry, you know that platinum albums are something quite special.  I see them hanging (along with gold and what have you) on the walls of people's studios when they share on social media what they are up to.  So for the last 27 years, I've known about them.  Never thought about looking for one on eBay or something.  My Michael W. Smith colleciton includes all his albums on CD, some on tape, and even some on vinyl (mostly bought from eBay because I was a preschooler when they came out on vinyl, and these are ORIGINAL vinyls, not current copies).  I've collected all his VHS's, all his DVD's, all his books, some of his t-shirts, a letter jacket from the Chang Your World tour, the special two disc with book set called the Wonder Years that is super rare, I've met him multiple times, I've seen his house, I've gone to church with him and his family, I know his kids names and approximate ages (not the grandkids, because well, there are 16 of them!).  I know his birthday and anniversary. Point is, I'm a huge fan, and in all my years of collecting his stuff (pins and cardboard cutouts and piano books and sheet music and set lists, and photos and videos and posters, too), I never in my wildest dreams thought about owning something like this.  A PLATINUM ALBUM! And an actual piano key signed by Michael W. Smith. The pianist in me is over the moon about it!

Ok, ok, everything burns up eventually anyway, I know, I know.  But it's in the manner in which I obtained it that matters.  I essentially gave up something potentially wonderful in order to be with my family and protect our physical needs this week and God blessed me and rewarded me with this earthly reward.  Of course my actual reward is in Heaven.  We all know that.  But sometimes, having a physical reminder gives it just that little extra "oomph" to help me remember that God is good and He cares about the little things.  And just the fact that I can see that again is a miracle after the last 3 years of healing I've had to do.  I think the Rooted study has really been a mark in the sand moment for me, not just in it's content, but just the fact that I'm doing a personal Bible study again.  I can see the difference.  I get it now.  And the fact that I'm so giddy over a trinket is just a reminder that I can be joy filled sometimes, especially when it is something connected to my very happy and joy filled past.  And once again, like I've said before, I love CCM.  I love the industry. I identify with it in so many ways and it has shaped me in so many ways in the last 27 years.  The major influences in my life are God, Jared, my kids, Gary and Leah, my parents, and Michael W. Smith.  It always will be that way.  And now I extend it to CCM in general because I'm thoroughly enjoying all kinds of new artists and watching social media and behind the scenes stuff.  In fact, I was watching an Instagram story from For King and Country and they made mention that tickets for their fall tour were going on sale tomorrow (Friday).  Well, I had gotten a couple of pre sale codes for it, so I looked it up and there it was, a tour date for Indianapolis at Bankers' Life! Go figure!  Now I don't have to stand outside in the heat and see an abbreviated set at Spiritsong in June.  I had hesistated buying tickets for Spiritsong and I'm glad I did.  So I quickly asked Benaiah and Justin if they wanted to go, and boom, we have tickets for October 4th.  Mid range tickets, no q and a but assigned seats.  And they were talking about how it's going to be a totally new set design AND they will sing for 2 1/2 hrs and sing ALL the songs off their "Burn the Ships" album. Squeal!

I'm so grateful Jared endured WinterJam with us because I think he finally understands my obesssion and how fun and important these things are to me.  And they are such bonding moments for the boys and I.  Keturah isn't really interested yet, but I keep searching for something she wants to do with me, whether it be a Disney on Ice show, or something completely different like an art show or coloring her hair.  Anyway, all this to say, today's gift was beyond anything I could have imagined.  I will hang this one up though.  Out of respect for Jared, I have never fully displayed my Michael W. Smith collection after we were married.  MWS was my first "crush" sort of speak, but he's not my first priority.  But this particular item is incredibly special and represents many different things to me.  Jared was happy that it made my day today. I'm sure I'll be happy about something else in a couple of days.  But for today, God showed up in a small way, but big way.  It's definitely helpful as a reminder of where I've been and where I can continue to go.  Anyway, that's my story.  The End.

Not "The End."  How incredible is the timing that two of my favorite men were celebrated within days of each other?  Remember, they are only 1 1/2 yrs apart in age! Both stuck with their career/job for over 30 years.  Both still continue to work in their fields.  Both are solid men of God, "King David's," if you will.   Pretty incredible! Ahhhhh!!!!!!!

The rest of our day:
Picking dandelion heads and then flinging them around so they pollinate the ground and blow into the house?!  Girl! It's allergy season!

Intricate, ready to fly.

I guess we have a wildflower garden now.  It's hard to mow this area.  And the ground cover looks pretty.

And you wonder why you nose is dripping?!  All allergies, alaways in his pj's, always on the run.


Of course you are! .....NOT!

Another sentiment for Gary and Leah.

Now it's......The End

No comments:

Post a Comment