Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Year 4, May 9th, 2019: Benaiah's Perfect Day

Well, today couldn't have gone any smoother.  I was more anxious than Benaiah because I had to make sure all the paperwork was in place for his drivers' test and drive him around to the drivers' test, pick up the corsage at the store, drive him to prom pictures, and then get home.  Benaiah was very calm on the outside, although I think when he gets nervous, he starts to talk more.  He conversed a lot with his driving test examiner and then babbled a ton when trying to figure out how to open the corsage box and put on his boutonniere.  Ava's grandma had to help all of his figure it out!  But, it all worked out, so let's take it step by step.

First up was the drivers' test.  We got there on time and had most of the right paperwork.  Jared had handed me the temporary registration, not the permanent one, which I luckily fund in the pocket on the car door.  Phew! I parked in the wrong spot as well, so I had to move the car.  Then he went out to take his test.  We tested our in Greenfield, about 30 minutes northeast of us, because it's quieter and they had appointments sooner than the places nearby.  He said he did a 5 point turn, instead of a 3 point turn, and they pseudo parallel parked and he did ok.  He did stop in a crosswalk or something, but it wasn't too bad.  So, he passed!  We have our first kid with a full license!  He can drive his siblings around now, but not friends for another 3 months.  And come to find out, in general, teens do have a curfew in our city if they aren't coming home from work.  So no matter how much he teases us about how he's going to be in Meijer at 1am, it's not happening.  I'm glad he was giddy about it though.  When it's Justin's turn, I think it's going to be a totally different experience!

After he got his license, we made a long 40 minute drive from Greenfield to Greenwood at County Line and Emerson to pick up the corsage for Ava.  He also bought some Monster energy drinks for himself and his friends.  Ava doesn't drink that stuff, thank goodness.  Finally, we made a quick stop at the library and came home for a couple of hours.  Meanwhile, I came up with a couple of ideas for prom photos, so I tried to urge everyone to be early to the park we were doing them at.  We weren't really early, but it still all worked out.  We went to the park on Edgewood between Franklin and Hickory.  I actually drove east on Thompson and then south on Hickory because it was 5pm traffic and it worked out well. Benaiah was a little frustrated with my anxiousness at this point, but I knew we had a short amount of time.  He didn't care about pictures, and Ava was actually unsure of what she wanted, too, so we just did our best.  Thankfully Ava's mom and her grandparents took lots of photos, too.  I'm grateful that the couple aren't high mantenance on these things, but at the same time, patience with the parents would be appreciated.

Ava and her family arrived on time and we got some awesome pictures.  Like I said before, trying to pin the flowers on Benaiah's lapel were a challenge, but we got it done.  Come to find out, this was Ava's first prom!  I had forgotten that she's in 10th grade, not 11th.  She didn't go to prom last year.  And Ava does not dress up very often, not even a dress for church, so to be this fancy was something new to her.  She loved it though, just like I don't dress up that often but boy do I feel fun and fancy when I do.  Her mom said she had 51 bobby pins in her hair!  When I saw her at the grocery store the next day, she was back to her regular pony tail, wearing Benaiah's Nasa sweatshirt, with leggings, socks, and slide on sandals.  This was all new to her and to me as well since I didn't go to prom in high school.  And there's a big difference with Benaiah going with Ethan the past two years and him going with his girlfriend.  A HUGE difference.  We didn't rent a limo or do pictures of them and "Charlie's Angels" finger guns pose.  They didn't go to dinner beforehand and they didn't go to an after prom.  But boy did they have fun in every other traditional way! Even finishing off with a good night kiss! Awww.....

Here are the pictures and videos I do have, gathered from multiple sources.  I will credit the sources as I go.


That smile on Ava says it all, doesn't it?

Big grins!

Yes, Mom, take the stupid pic already!  What a mug shot on that driver's license!  The real license arrives in 10 days or less.

"Yeah, I'm stupid (and a bit nerous).  Aw, there it goes."

Even Ava's box for Benaiah was hard to open.

Lol, yup, we go the boxes open.
 Putting on the boutonniere


Grandma, who was a florist, to the rescue!  Even the Dads didn't have a clue! And oooo, I got a picture of Ava's hair with the 51 (yes, she counted them when she took her hair out that night) bobby pins!  Her hair is so pretty!

Oh...my...word...I have no words!


I didn't see the sign in the background.  Oops.  Ava opted for flat shoes so she wouldn't be taller than Benaiah.  Benaiah is 5 ft, 11 inches, so yes, Ava is very tall.  Her mom is, too.  And I appreciate that Ava didn't worry about things like being tan or having a ton of make up on.  But I'm also glad that she got her nails, hair, and make up professional done as well.  She's a simple lady, as am I, but sometimes we like to be pampered, too.

Our friend Karen Johnson did a great job!  She works at the Kroger on County Line and Emerson.  Very pretty!

Unfortuantely, Benaiah took this off and left at the venue.  but at least I have one picture of it!  Sometimes pictures feel awkward in the moment, but am always grateful that I took them.

Ava

Benaiah

And us! Although I look pregnant, I'm not.  Silly mom of four belly.  But it's me and I have to be gracious to myself about it.  And Abishai for not wanting to take the picture.  He was confused as to why we were at the playground but couldn't really play.  He also wanted to go to Ava's house for pictures which was the original plan because we thought it was going to rain.  I'm glad it didn't rain!


Are we done? Did we get enough pictures?  Let's get going!

Ava's mom and dad are there on the right, Mike and Amy.  Keturah wasn't too impressed with this whole thing either.  She's such a tomboy and almost gave all her dresses away.  And Ava probably feels the same way, but I'm thinking that this experience has changed some of her thinking.
Amy's mom drove them to the venue, which was a barn in Avon that they had worked hard at securing for free by sanding the chairs that needed to be repainted at the venue.  Avon is about 40 minutes northwest of us when there's no traffic.  Gotta love Benaiah's superman forehead curl.  He's growing his hair our and his mop of hair makes him look even more like Jared!  And he's wearing Jared's wedding coat, again.  Didn't we do a great job picking out his tie color?  Eeek! (Photo credit: Amy)
Benaiah looks just as stiff as Jared did when we took pictures on our wedding day.  I'm glad that these two are very careful with their PDA (public display of affection).  They have great boundaries! (Photo credit: Amy)

Stunning! (Photo credit: Amy)
Awww, lovely barn and bridge and couple! (Photo credit: Amy)

Benaiah getting his dance moves on, bwahahahahahaha!!!!!! (Photo credit: SCS)

Ava taking a break with the girls (Photo credit: SCS)

Benaiah, Ava, and I think Alyssa (Photo credit: SCS)

Benaiah wasn't afraid to share these pictures with me.  Not sure who all is in this one though.
Awwwwww, look at that last one!

Oh my goodness!  So grown up, even with a little side kiss!

This is what makes my heart skip a beat.  They shared 4 slow dances together and Benaiah the night very magical for Ava. (Photo credit: SCS)

This one makes me cry!  Ava's glowing face especially her smile.  So precious, so special, so perfect.  My only context for these kinds of things are weddings since I didn't go to prom myself.  So, that's where my mind immediately jumps to, I can't deny it.  I realize that anything can happen, but if I've said it once, I'll say it again, these two are really into each other! Benaiah has fallen fast and hard.  He talks about her with this excitement in his voice that equals what I remember having and still have with Jared.  It may be still puppy dog love at this point, but I think there's a bit of serious, mature love and mutual respect in there, too.  The kind of love that yes, I love you because you are pretty and I want to kiss you kind of love mixed with I am going to take care of you and make sure no one hurts you because you are a precious daughter of God kind of love.  I'm sure I ready too much into it, but knowing how Benaiah has had crushes and feelings in the past, these are new, deep, and genuine.  And Ava is the perfect girl for him.  Perfect girl.  I'm so proud of both of them for taking things slowly and carefully, for being respectful and obedient to both sets of parents, and for knowing what the purpose of dating is for.  We as parents have brought them up well.  They are a blessing to each other and to us.  I wish we could just freeze this moment in time for them.  This are the kind of incredible high school memories I had dreamed of for them.  And a lot of memories I don't possess and that's ok.  I love watching this unfold.  We will continue to pray for their hearts, for the physical and spiritual and mental and emotional aspects of their relationship, for their commitments to God and His Church, for their love and closeness to their families, and for the incredible balance they have in their lives between work, school, and relationships.  I'm just so incredibly proud of them! In this world of so much peer pressure, they have been strong, and towed the line, kept their boundaries.  That is so hard to do.  Oh how I love these two! (Photo credit: SCS)
Benaiah's summary of the evening.

This is so typical of their relationship.

Awwwww.....


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment