Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Friday, May 3, 2019

Year 4, April 27th-28th, 2019: Gary's Endgame Part I

Edit #1:
Here is the 12 minute video link and then the whole playlist (it also includes the 12 minute video from Sunday morning) of all the videos I took from Saturday and Sunday.  Included in that playlist are some videos of Benaiah playing drums as well (and if I don't get a chance to go through the playlist, maybe some of our family as well).

The Passing of the Baton from Gary to Dan (12 minute video from 11am service)

Playlist of videos from Saturday's and Sunday's events.

The Professional Videos from Saturday and Sunday!

Original post/reaction to Saturday, the Open House:
Oh....my....word....what a day!  What an evening!  I couldn't have imagined anything better!  First of all, I'm grateful for all the behind the scenes people who have worked tirelessly for months on this gathering people's comments and videos, planning a menu, setting it all up, etc etc.  I'm glad I wasn't in charge or had to do anything!  That left me free to take videos and pictures all evening.  There was a time lapse camera set up, but I'm glad I remembered my DSLR camera because I needed it!  I did see a few more flashes and selfies and such, and I don't know if they recorded during the "little" presentation but they had the cameras going and I saw a staff member taking pictures with a better zoom lens than me.  Anyway, I should come up with a "second of all" but can't think of how to move on from that.....

Oh yeah, I'm overwhelmed.  I got my "funk" out of myself yesterday and prayed and prayed I would enjoy today.  That I would play my role well (and all of us would) and just get out there and pretend I'm an extrovert.  And God gave me the strength and spirit to have a ridiculously joy filled day! It does help that I didn't have to talk to anyone or do anything for 3 hrs this morning.  What I didn't expect was that the "little" presentation would take over 30 minutes and I would need to basically take videos of the whole thing in snippets, standing in the back, kind of arching my back because of poor posture, trying to balance a heavy DSLR camera on my neck.  I'm going to be so tired tomorrow! I should have sneaked down to the front row, not the back! Whoops! It's in these moments that I just don't worry about quality and do my best.  That means a wobbly video when Abishai is at my legs trying to get my attention, or screaming in the background "I want my shoes off!" But, it's all life, and I'm not a professional videographer.  I just want to capture the words that were said.  And boy were there some doozies!

You'll have to be patient with the videos because they are choppy, but they are worth listening to.  Gary received two awards from our local state Senator, Aaron Freeman, and I can't wait to take a picture of them because one of them is the highest honor you can get in the state for serving your community! Incredible!  So many cards, and two huge books of emails and pictures sent, and gifts galore! The reception line was so long that they had to cut it off so we could do the presentation!  And then the people that stayed filled most of the seats on the floor of the sanctuary!  There were easily 600 people there!  And the kids behaved well.  I had a friend that kind of took on the role of watching the kids for a bit in the e2 office, so that was a blessing.  And for the most part, they were overwhelmed by the people and didn't want to mingle.  A few kids joined them in the office and that was neat.  I told them beforehand that they didn't have to mingle, but, they couldn't be coming out to us screaming and fighting either.  And they didn't.  They also obeyed about not taking too much food.  I was disappointed because I thought we'd come home with leftovers but by the time we went back to the East Hall, it was all put away.  Perhaps it's just all in the kitchen and we can take some home tomorrow.  Oh well.

My thoughts are all over the place, and I need to go and process those videos so I can get them off my phone so I have room for tomorrow's stuff.  I did get a video camera for Christmas but it didn't work well so we sent it back.  I haven't decided on a new one yet.  And now we have Keturah's play next weekend.  Eek!  So much to do!  I feel so over joyed and so happy and so loved.  I needed this.  I know the spotlight is on Gary and Leah, but I get a thrill just by being close to the action and playing my role.  Gary and Leah couldn't mingle because of the long receiving line, so Jared and I were glad to play that part and show people the e2 office and explain further what Gary is going to be doing now, etc.  And having vital roles like that makes me feel just as important as being on stage.  I'm a behind the scenes girl, being close enough to the action to be in the know, but not being in the actual spotlight.  That's my sweet spot.

iPhone pics first, so hang on, I'll explain more of what's going on in the DSLR pics.

With just a few minutes before start time, people have already showed up!  Here we go!

Some of our favorite NEW friends, Carter Holton.  Abishai LOVES babies and plays ever so gently with them. 

Maddie in the middle is Carter's big sister, and Rosie, our nursery director's little one is to her left.  They've all become buddies because we volunteer together and are at church a lot.

A line is starting to form!  I'm not sure what we all expected, but wow!

Others kept telling Gary to walk back to the chairs they set up at the last minute, but he's so used to walking forward to greeting people, he wasn't getting the hint.  And then everyone kept sharing their stories!

About 1 hr in.  Not too bad.

I'm so glad my friends used the office to get some quiet space for the kids!  I don't know if someone said they could or they just assumed, but what a blessing!  And then Jessica in the back kept an eye on my kids while I mingled.

And then, 2 hrs in, the line started to look like this! This is the view from the prayer room that is above the connecting doors between the East Hall and the auditorium.  Some people waited over an hour to see Gary and Leah and they finally had to cut the line off! All told 1,000 people attended the open house!  Most came later in the 3 hrs because of the presentations being made at the end at 7pm.

Presentation time! Aaron's family showed up via video.  Nora said she was embarrassed by it, but this is so true to form for these guys!  I'm so glad they did it that way!  You've got the super serious J6 and the fun loving J4.  We don't always get along, but we complement each other very well.

Assuming some of the 1,000 people didn't stay for the presentations, I'd say at least 800 did!  This crowd is more than the average 4:30pm Sunday service! I was sitting next to the camera but Abishai wasn't cooperating, so I ended up in the back.  I should have gone down front instead.

Rare sighting!  A minister's wife is on stage!  Speaking for like the 3rd time in her life to a large group of people.  Eek!  She did so well and didn't cry much, but she's been practicing it for a couple of months.

One of my favorite gifts they received.  I wanted to keep it, but they found a great spot for it at the house.  This is actual a business principle but Gary has used it over and over again in his sermons.  Know your why, then your how, and then decide on the what.  Know why you do what you do, like why do you want to reach a certain group of people or why you homeschool.  How do you want to reach them? How do you want to teach?  And then decide on what actual products or services you are going to provide or what curriculum you are going to use.  I've done this for years based on the 7 principles of Stephen Covey (they include "start with the end in mind" "set measurable goals." Thank you business school!)

A different vantage point.  This is when our Senator Aaron Freeman awarded Gary the Sagamore of the Wabash award (see below or in the video or in other comments).

Gary would be extremely pleased that the kids were playing under his desk, and I'm not joking!  Since becoming a Grandpa, he's always been of the mindset that if something gets broken by a young grandchild, no big deal.  Abishai crawls under here all the time.  Now, if this had been Jared or Aaron, Gary would have been not happy.  But this is Carter, our friend's 1 yr old, playing peek a boo with Keturah and giggling up a storm.


Awww, doesn't Leah look great! I love her new shoes, too!  She doesn't get to dress up very often and I know she enjoys doing it.  She usually wears her KP t-shirt and khaki pants for church.

The e2 was open for everyone to check it out.  I spent my time coming and going and explaining what e2 is to others.  I felt awesome that I know and can explain it now!
DSLR pics:
Heather Bruce's desserts, of course!  Always, always, always Heather Bruce's! I don't know how much business she does otherwise, but being long time members and friends of ours, she will always do it when Gary asks. Her kids (the baby graduate this year!) help her, too.  I think there were 1,000 or so of these!  I was going to come back and get one and just eat the top, but they put them away while we were doing the presentations.

Dan and Mary Kraft doing what they do best, serving! They've become some of our best friends!

Now it's starting to really fill up!  We did have our security team on site, which felt a tad odd, but not really.  The Creek takes safety very seriously and with this many people, and all the church/religious buidlings shootings in the last few months, you can never be too safe.  I'm glad they were there.



After the first hr, this was the end of the line.

Some of our 20 somethings, most are on staff.

Drinks, coffee, of course! And the wonderful hospitality crew!  Some of them have been serving the church for years, like Mark Miller's mom all the way on the left.  Reminds me of the older ladies who used to do the hospitality for the MCC events on PEI.  There are a few people my age, but we typically are just so busy and can't volunteer like this.  I don't know what we will do when the older folks pass away.  I certainly appreciate their presence!

Speaking of older folks, the lady on the right is Grannie Annie who lives down the street from Gary and Leah.  She just turned 92 and still cuts her own grass!  She's a spry little thing and a doll!  I'm glad they, too, found a quiet spot.  Older women are so underappreciated!

Grandma's mini me hiding under his desk.

Oh, Rhoda Valentine, one of our favorites.  She ended up bring a gob of food to us later in the week.  She seems very concerned that Pastor Gary won't be around anymore.  I keep telling her that all she has to do is call and Pastor Gary will be there for her.  He's still a pastor.  The Valentines, again, are long time members, and a vital part of our ministries.  They are from western Africa and go back often to a blind orphanage on mission trips.  They have grown children now.  Rhoda serves on the coffee shop team.  Their accents are thick and I just love their presence!
Rosie with more of our little people friends.  There weren't a lot of kids during the open house, but they were always welcomed.  They are our future!

Thick lines!

More friends!  The Paulsons, Jordan Minton, Eli Jackson, etc.  And Keturah with her head down.

Getting crowded!  I think this was around 6:30pm.  To my right, Jared Ensminger and crew had set up a time lapse camera.  I hope I didn't get in the way of it!  I'm glad I was there taking pictures from on the floor, too.  Between the two of us, we had it covered.

Kids!

This video was playing when we walked into the sanctuary.  It's from over 10 years ago for a sermon series having to with Jesus being our friend.  The theme from Toy Story was being played, "You've Got a Friend in Me."  And once again, Gary's acting skills were over the top, and slightly embarrassing.  One of our former high school ministers was playing Jesus, Mike Killebrew.  They still attend the Creek and lead Financial Peace University groups.

So. No one told me Jared was getting up to say a few words.  I guess I should have assumed that part.  I was thinking he would do it on Sunday, not Sunday.  I thought tonight's presentations were going to be brief.  Nope, it lasted 45 minutes!  Jared said a few words, maybe 5 minutes long.


He shared a picture of Gary doing what he does best, leading by being a servant.  About 10 years ago, his title had changed from "Senior Minster" to "Lead Servant."

And then Aaron's family's video played.  It was much longer and Aaron had a 3 point sermonette to share. 

So many people!


Leah on the big screen!

Presentation of the Sagamore of the Wabash, the highest civil/community award in the state, and the resolution from the State Senate floor recognizing Gary's "achievements" and community service to our state.
The fun thing is that because of some of the tough legislature that was going on, this almost didn't get approved by the governor!  Senator Freeman had been asking about it since December!  Senator Freeman attends our church and has a law firm in Wanamaker.  I hadn't met him yet, so after the presentations, I went up and thanked him for his service and let him know I have been closely following this year's session, especially as the bills might pertain to homeschoolers.  He knew exactly what I was talking about and was keeping an eye on them himself in that regard.  Yeah!  At least for now, both our State Rep. Mike Speedy and State Sen. Freeman are on our side.  That's why I didn't call their offices during the session.  Anyway, it was awesome to meet him and his wife.  He of course invited us to tour the state house with him and the kids could serve as pages on the floor of the legislatures.  Well, I would love to do that again, but my kids, not so much. The link below will explain what this award really is!
 Explanation of the Sagamore of the Wabash







Of course, Mark Miller also got up to speak.  He left Indian Creek as executive minister last year to provide leadership for a church planting ministry.  Gary was the one who convinced him to apply and be on staff at the Creek.  But these two have very different personalities.  They are both driven, but in different ways.  Their teaching styles are very different.  Lots of great words though!

Then there were 60 second clips from others that Gary has helped or influenced greatly.  They showed shorter clips of these in the worship services on Sunday.  This is Joshua Hahn who serves in Fountaintown, IN, at fountaintown Christian Church, aka The Fountain..  I would always pass by their church when taking Keturah to gymnastics.  His wife, Debbie, and I were in a women's leadership group for a year.  I believe he did his masters in theology or Bible when Jared did his and he was also ordained by Indian Creek.

Ajaj Lull of India of course.  Although, he's in the states this month doing some fundraising and timed it so he could be at this presentation in person.

Dr. Doug Harty, our dentist, and frequent medical missionary, especially to Haiti.  He has also climbed mountains with Gary and he spoke of how Gary would clean up the medical area at the end of the day.

Steve Totten, elder of Indian Creek I think since it's inception. 

Dr. Mike Elmore, gastroenterologist by trade, retired now, medical missionary, and great friend of Gary's.

A friend of ours Greg Edens, who Jared gets together with on Monday mornings, who pastors a church in our area as well.  He was also ordained by Indian Creek.  We had several ministers ordained around the same time Jared was because they all attended the CCU masters classes together.

Another one of our friends from our old couples group, now an elder at our church, Mike Spence.

One of the founding couples of the church.

Time for even more presentations, this time by the church itself!  50 roses for Leah, a huge box of cards, and two huge scrapbooks from emails and digital messages!

And the awarded Gary his rocking chair early because they *think* he will have more time to be a Grandpa now.  Hm,....that's debatable.  The Creek gives out 50 red roses when a couple has their 50th wedding anniversary and they give out the rocking chair when someone turns 90!

Benaiah's friends were there, but he was at work, party pooper.  His boss did give him permision to go in later than usual so he could be at the party for part of it, but he refused.  And it was a good thing because transportation would have been a nightmare.

After the presentations, a line formed AGAIN to talk to Gary and Leah.  Crazy!

What do you get a person who has everything?  One of his favorite candies! This was a gift from the Elders.

Photos that were posted by friends on FB:
Dave Dunstan and Janet Hansen Shelton-Dunstan.

Elizabeth Wall


Kellie Nowacki

Ginny Minton

Larry Walker and Kathi Shaeffer


Chad and Abby Jackson


Being awarded the Sagamore of the Wabash



Elizabeth and Donald Wall

Ginny Minton (and somebody tell Gary how to pose for a selfie! Please!)

Edit #2, which will be reposted in tomorrow's blog, Part II of Endgame:
When I started loading up pictures I realized I had way too many for one post.  So I divided Saturday and Sunday's events into two posts.  I have also put two links on here at the top.  The first link is the 12 minute video I took on Sunday morning during the 11am service and is the official "Passing of the Baton" ceremony from Gary to Dan.  After loading that video to YouTube and then posting it both on my personal Facebook wall and the Creeker Connection Facebook page, as well as putting it in the bio of my Instagram, that video alone has been seen more than 250 times.  Now, I understand that it's the topic of that video is why it has been so many times.  I was even asked to make both the YouTube video itself and my posts "public" so it was easy to share.  But here's the thing, I purposefully sat there with my arm in the air for 12 minutes capturing the whole thing because of YOU.  Because of my friends and family who couldn't be there.  I knew the sermon by Jeff Faull would be recorded, but I wasn't sure (and am usually too shy to ask) if these 12 minutes would be.  And in my experience, it's better to get it on my own devices than to ask someone else after the fact.  So, I unashamedly videotaped the whole thing, for my own records but also for the bigger purpose of sharing it with others.  And that is exactly the WHY behind our blogs, behind my Facebook and Instagram posts, etc.  Ever since my parents and I had lived 1,000 miles away, it has been my goal to take photos and videos and write down the stories and share them.  It's part of my DNA.  Yes, I am proud of my kids.  Yes, I'm proud of what God has accomplished through the whole Johnson and Howell families.  But more importantly, it's just that, it's a testimony to what God has done and it's to be celebrated!  So, no, I'm not some instant viral vlogger just because one video got 250 views, but, it does make me smile and give me joy knowing that others could feel like they were part of those moments.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment