Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Friday, May 3, 2019

Year 4, April 27th-28th, 2019: Gary's Endgame Part II

Just like I said at the beginning of Endgame Part I's blog post, when I started loading up pictures I realized I had way too many for one post.  So I divided Saturday and Sunday's events into two posts.  I will also put two links here at the top.  The first link is the 12 minute video I took on Sunday morning during the 11am service and is the official "Passing of the Baton" ceremony from Gary to Dan.  After loading that video to YouTube and then posting it both on my personal Facebook wall and the Creeker Connection Facebook page, as well as putting it in the bio of my Instagram, that video alone has been seen more than 250 times.  Now, I understand that it's the topic of that video is why it has been so many times.  I was even asked to make both the YouTube video itself and my posts "public" so it was easy to share.  But here's the thing, I purposefully sat there with my arm in the air for 12 minutes capturing the whole thing because of YOU.  Because of my friends and family who couldn't be there.  I knew the sermon by Jeff Faull would be recorded, but I wasn't sure (and am usually too shy to ask) if these 12 minutes would be.  And in my experience, it's better to get it on my own devices than to ask someone else after the fact.  So, I unashamedly videotaped the whole thing, for my own records but also for the bigger purpose of sharing it with others.  And that is exactly the WHY behind our blogs, behind my Facebook and Instagram posts, etc.  Ever since my parents and I had lived 1,000 miles away, it has been my goal to take photos and videos and write down the stories and share them.  It's part of my DNA.  Yes, I am proud of my kids.  Yes, I'm proud of what God has accomplished through the whole Johnson and Howell families.  But more importantly, it's just that, it's a testimony to what God has done and it's to be celebrated!  So, no, I'm not some instant viral vlogger just because one video got 250 views, but, it does make me smile and give me joy knowing that others could feel like they were part of those moments.

Therefore, here is the 12 minute video link and then the whole playlist (it also includes the 12 minute video from Sunday morning) of all the videos I took from Saturday and Sunday.  Included in that playlist are some videos of Benaiah playing drums as well.

The Passing of the Baton from Gary to Dan (12 minute video of 11am service)

Playlist of videos from Saturday's and Sunday's events.

The Professional Videos of Saturday and Sunday's events.

I'm so grateful I have friends who sit up front.  Miss Jessica to the rescue again!  What great pictures she took!  Gary said had a 3 point charge and so did Dan, and both including the congregation and their spouses.  They are more alike than we think!



Awwwwwwww

I love how intensely Keren is listening to Gary.  Cracks me up!  And this is during the first service, so more tears were shed this round than the other two rounds.


Dan's turn, my new brother in law by the way.  Gary added his name to his notes on the verse about children being arrows next to Jared and Aaron's.  But us wives' names don't appear there, hm,...anyway, I'm grateful for that bond, a father and son, a Paul and Timothy type of bond.

Gary explaining a bit more of what he will be doing come Monday morning.  He's explained it before, but people choose not to really listen and understand it.

My boy is back there. We NEED more lighting back there! Ugh!  But he was told he could buy himself a go pro and videotape himself playing if he wants to.

Jeff Faull, preacher at Mt. Gilead Christian Church in Mooreseville, about 30 minutes west of us.  Man did I love his "rants" or strings of words that emphasized a point.  I could listen to him any day!

Showing the inscription on the runner's baton Gary has used as a prop but now is officially and permanently handing over to Dan.  The inscription has their names and today's date on it.  It's not a new baton either, so somehow it's gotten a bit beaten up over the years.  Super special though.

Group hug!

Gary in his favorite spot! Front row!  We won't see him there for awhile though.  But by Christmas he should be back.  He's preaching at other churches or on trips between now and then.  He'll probably still go to the 9:15am service, but what will he do with time during the rest of the morning?  Who knows!  That's why he's going to take off for awhile and readjust.

Pretty stage as always with the best drummer in the background.

Jeff Faull from my perspective in the balcony.

David Boyer praying over them all.



The usual 4:30 pm crowd is much sparser than the morning services.
The Strunks in their usual spot.  They all serve on Sunday mornings and then it's easy enough for them to go to Crave right after this service.  Benjamin, the oldest, was also visiting from college this weekend.  Come to find out, Lisa's mom died the day before.  She lived in Beech Grove, so nearby, and Benaiah did meet her a few times.  I'm sure it's been a rough weekend for them.

Also a 3 point talk.

Baton passing from up on high.

The balcony is technically closed, but I think some of the Access Ministry adults are allowed to come up here away from the noise/crowds.  I know that one young man was actually in a wheelchair in a secluded spot.  But I love how they opened up their hands in prayer when the elders were praying.

The 4:30pm service praying and lifting their hands.


I had to mess around with the camera settings to get the stage light enough to see Benaiah.  But there he is!
From behind the scenes courtesy of Mary Elsbury





This photo is from the right side where the deaf people sit and is from my friend Alisha.

Another balcony perspective.

Again, from Alisha Caudill I believe.  And I don't know that young elder on Keren's left.  But it's great that there are elders in training!  Well, he's probably a full blown elder, but he still looks to be our age.  Nothing wrong with that because the elders are very, very picky about the choosing process.
And that's it.  The baton is passed.  It is finished.  What a whirlwind of a fantastic weekend.  Praise the Lord for strength and stamina.  For having composure and energy.  For the chance to love on people and to be loved on.  It seriously couldn't have gone any smoother.  And I pray that other churches follow in our example.  99% of churches do their preacher injustice when making a transition like this, and we were at the brunt of a very awful transition in 2016.  I can't wait to see what's in store under Dan and Keren's leadership.  There will be changes, but only what is vouched by the elders and is within our core values.  Changes will come mostly in the what, and maybe the how, not the why.  Our "capital" campaign to get rid of the church's debt in 2 years instead of 3 years is one of those.  It will be awesome to have fresh eyes direction the vision.  Let's go!

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment