Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Monday, May 20, 2019

Year 4, May 17th-19th, 2019: Jared's 40th Birthday Weekend

Boo yah! Jared is 40 years old! Embrace it and love it! In this world of "anti aging" everything and "wear this to look younger," I've always had my mind set on the fact that getting older is GREAT thing.  It means you are wiser, more experienced, and more mature.  My mom and dad never felt bad about getting older, nor did they cover it up.  In fact, I'm sure my mom shared the following Scriptures with me or I saw her in them when I read them.  She never covered up her gray hair with color product.  And she did grow wiser as she grew older.  I've been told her 20's were nothing like our family life of her 30's and 40's.  And my Dad, too, grew wiser, and more loving and caring as he aged.  He had a beautiful streak of gray hair on the left side of his head.  The rest of his hair was still jet black.  My mom liked it a lot.  So, here is where I get the idea that growing old is an awesome thing and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE having relationships with older men and women.  Ever since I had mentors in MOPS, I've always sought out and listened to the older women of the church.  That's also based on Scripture found in Titus 2.

Proverbs 20:29 New Living Translation (NLT)
29 The glory of the young is their strength;
    the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

Proverbs 16:31 New Living Translation (NLT)  

31 Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained by living a godly life

Titus 2 New Living Translation (NLT)

1 As for you, Titus, promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching. Teach the older men to exercise self-control, to be worthy of respect, and to live wisely. They must have sound faith and be filled with love and patience. Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers.[a] Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes,[b] to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God.
In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely. And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. Teach the truth so that your teaching can’t be criticized. Then those who oppose us will be ashamed and have nothing bad to say about us.

So, why dread turning 40?  You're still very young and are right in the middle of your career and your life!  I think I've hit my mid life crisis and am on my mend (although I'm only 38).  I don't know how much pondering Jared has had time for, but I know he's expressed frustration with himself lately to me.  It's not easy being a human being is it?  So, as Jared turns 40 on Saturday, I asked my Facebook community to send him words of affirmation to lift his spirits.  We've cleared our calendar and look foward to grilling out with Gary and Leah and SURPRISE a few of Jared's closest friends, most of whom are older and either directly or indirectly mentor him.  Gary has cooked up a surprise gift, and Leah let slip that it's something refurbished and since they had a brand new grill out on the deck this past weekend, perhaps it's the grill?  I hope it's something mroe sentimental, but I just don't know.  Gary had originally told me it was a knife, but again, I have no idea how to read into their faces and words about it.  I do know that after the party, we are inheriting the deck furniture, which is an answer to prayer!  I've been looking at FB marketplace and in stores to see how much a lounge would cost, and a table and chairs, and even the cheap ones are just out of our price range.  I just really want a comfy place to lay down and take a nap on in the shade.  I've bought a bunch of things to add to our new kid pool (which is an upgrade from the last two years) and now somethings to add to our outdoor table.  It's been fun to try to finally make the back yard more inviting to adults.  We had a table and chairs and a three person swing in Beech Grove and loved them.  I might even go back to Aldi's and get some fun chair pillows/pads to match the tablecloth we bought today.

And now, drumroll,....Benaiah went out on his first real Friday night hangout time by himself!  After work, he got cleaned up and went to his school's musical, Sister Act, and then went out to Steak and Shake and acted like a buffoon with his friends, including putting all kinds of sauces to change the taste of the fries.  Oh it's like de jevu' when the guys in my youth group would put all kind of things in a glass and then drink it when we all were hanging ut at restaurant.  Things like tomato juice, soy sauce, milk, salt and pepper, etc and stir it with a piece of celery or pickle.  It's a rite of passage.  He had to take the van because the men took the truck to the repair shop for an oil change and to fix the door handle.  He'll probably take it again tomorrow to work in the afternoon if we don't need the carseat.  We'll see.

I had had a horrendous time overnight with pain and anxiety, so it was a slow and steady type of day for me.  But we made it to park day, only we were the only ones who actually showed up.  Oh well.  At least we got out for the day.  Then we made an impromptu grocery shopping trip since we were just around the corner.  That way Jared doesn't have to go anywhere on his birthday.  We came home, put groceries away, and then quickly decorated for Jared's birthday before picking up Benaiah from work.  When Jared got home, I played the Nick Jr. version of the Happy Birthday song to serenade him into the house.  I haven't done much planning for this thing.  And I would have put more effort into it if I hadn't felt so awful the last couple of days.  He'll be fine.  I did just enough to make sure of that.  Tomorrow he gets his gift from us, and can do anything he wants to do with the rest of his day.  I wish I had known about it early but we could have bought tickets to see the qualifying rounds to see which driver will be in one position at the start of the Indy 500.  

Well, that's it.  I'm falling asleep.  Time to stop!

A birthday card/congrats from Jared to Benaiah on getting his license/prom/truck/17th birthday on June 4th.  Oh, and it had to do with "PayDay" at school where the teachers and/or parents write notes to the students, too.






All alone for Park Day, but we did find a fun, quiet playground that's only 10 minutes from our house!  A 4 way see saw!

This playground is identical to the one near the condo.  Can you remember 3 yrs ago when Abishai was barely walking and wasn't ready to climb up the wooden wall yet?  Now look at him go!

Keturah climbing on the outside of the playground.

Justin swinging high.

"Justin, pwease help me!"  What a great big brother!

Sliding from one end to another.
It's spring!


The sky was a bit bluer than this, but you get the point.  It was warm, with a nice breeze, not humid, perfect!
Always climbing.

I decorated early for Jared's birthday.

Abishai liked that I got out a Paw Patrol plate for Daddy.

I'm thinking of leaving this chair alone and rotating the seats, so this becomes Benaiah's seat on June 4th, Keturah's seat on June 16th, and my seat on July 12th.  Hm,....

I only had to add the "0" to change it from 4th birthday to 40th birthday!

Opening up his first full drivers' license!


Jared's birthday day started out with Abishai and I singing to him while we had our normal Saturday morning snuggles.  Then I presented Jared with new frying pans because he loves to fry his foods and our current pan is a mess!  Thanks to Aldi's, again, for having pans on sale, 3 for $20! So Jared got to cook his own breakfast!  He oohed and aahed when the eggs slid right off the pan! Lol, it's the little things for sure!  Then it was off to the races to get a few errands done like the bank and getting a new cap for the drain that Justin ran over with the mower.  Home for some lunch and naps.  Jared moved the trampoline for me so I can set up the pool this week.  Benaiah went to work and used our van because the truck was still in the shop.  Then at 5:15pm we headed over to Gary and Leah's house for Jared's birthday supper!

Well, supper wasn't a surprise but having a few friends over was!  And Jared was a little bit surprised, so that was good.  It was very low key.  If it was me, I would have wanted to do more, and I would have done more today, but I've been dealing with some health issues, thus the nap I had to take.  But the laid backness of the day suited Jared's personality to a tee, so I didn't worry about it.  I'm not sure if the older three kids said, "Happy Birthday" or not, and Benaiah hardly said a word today going from bed to computer back to bed for 30 minutes and off to work.  Sigh.  But I think Jared felt blessed by the people that came and brought cards with gift cards in them.  We had hamburgers and brats, bacon explosion, fruit salad, regular salad, pink stuff, chips, and baked beans.  Simple and yummy.  Everyone else had cookies and blue moon ice cream, while Jared and I didn't eat dessert because he doesn't do sugar and I don't do dairy.  That freed us up to talk more.  He was able to talk with every guest because it was only 3 other couples and the husband, his mentor, of another couple.  So, all in all, I think he had a great day.

And like I said, I'm battling some health things, including my body adjusting to the summer heat again.  Every major season change (winter/summer) my body reacts stronger and it takes longer to adjust.  I could have been outside planting the citronella plants or setting up a pool today, but then I would have felt ill.  It's no fun, and I hope that I will get used to the heat by the end of the week.  It just has put a damper on this birthday weekend that I've looked forward to for months.  I know Jared really doesn't mind, but I do.  I'm just so tired.

But here is what I did write on Facebook when I felt awake:

 Happy 40th birthday to my best friend! I could say all kinds of things about him that are a typical of a great husband, but I’ll share my top 3. 1) He is faithful, no matter how he feels. Faithful to God, faithful to his family, and faithful in his work. 2) He is intelligent. From the very first handwritten letter to me, I knew he was a deep thinker and could communicate well and in his own unique style. 3) He loves kids. He could usually be found playing with the kids in our small groups over the years. He would rather sit on the floor and play cars than complete a to do list. Although it’s frustrating at times, he is home in a classroom of high school or college kids. These are the 3 things that drew me to him 21 years ago and are still my 3 favorite things about him. I love, Jared. Happy birthday!

I should have added this Scripture to the intelligence piece:

Proverbs 31:23 New Living Translation (NLT)
23  Her husband is well known at the city gates,
    where he sits with the other civic leaders.


The best way to start your birthday is by snuggling your littlest one.  Every day, Abishai asks if Daddy has to go to work.  He gives a big sigh when Daddy says yes and shouts out YEAH! when Daddy gets to stay home.  Little guy isn't so little anymore.

Brand new pans for Jared! You should have heard his excitement when his eggs slid off the pan with easy!  Most of the time the fried eggs' yolks break and then Jared gets mad and punches the pan with the end of spatula out of frustration.  Not today!

Cooking eggs like Daddy!

Jared cooked his own birthday breakfast because he can.  Fried egg on pizza with strawberries on cottage cheese.

He still fits in my lap!  Finding the bad guys in the magazine!

Can you see me?
Checking out trees with Daddy.  No more trees!  Well, we do need to replace the 6 that Justin has now mowed over.

These trees are like 10 years old and cost $80.  I mean really, how much effort and money does it take to grow trees en masse? And we bought the citronella plants again for mosquitoes.  Those plants make a huge difference!  Unfortunately, they only last a year.  I want to investigate getting some seeds to grow our own and save some money.

Gotta play pew pew game on your birthday!

New trick! Suck in and you make farting noises!

Getting ready to go to Grandparents' house for birthday supper.

8 baby ducks in the Smiths yard!

SURPRISE!!!

Time to play a little soccer with the neighbors, Jim and Derrick.

Talking about Austria with VP of TCM, David Wright (and Indian Creek Christian Church elder).

It's a good thing I had a "0" candle for the 10 year olds' birthdays.  Check out that sugar free cake!  And he and his mom were both wearing Mackinac shirts.

Hint: it's a bacon explosion cake!  Everyone else had blue moon ice cream with whipped cream and cookies.

Gary, Dana Spence (wife of Mike Spence, ICCC elder and we were in small group together for awhile and Jared and Mike are in the Friday morning men's group together), Stephanie Wright, (wife of David), and David Wright.
Jim and Adrienne Smith, neighbors and Creekers.

Greg Edens, long time friend/mentor, now pastor, also part of our old small group, David, Stephanie, and Mike Spence.  David and Stephanie were our college Sunday School teachers and also stood with us for our Indiana wedding ceremony.  They are long term great friends!

Opening cards filled with gift cards to places like Panera Bread, where the guys meet on Friday mornings, Starbucks, movie money, etc.  Thanks!


Blue moon is good to the last drop!

I didn't realize they wore matching clothes!
Men grilling, women talking inside.

The Ludwigs were also there.  I think Mr. Ludwig is also from the Friday men's group, but they were both Indian Creek members and maybe even neighbors long ago.

Cookies and blue moon ice cream.

Bacon explosion!  Bacon wrapped sausage.  Jared started making this for the students on PEI.  Yum!

Jared got a new watch from his parents.
Sunday Funday or was it?  We had a couple of bands of heavy rain, but overall, it was just drizzly.  Everyone is cranky from over stimulation.  Plus, the repair on the car that Jared was hoping to do with a friend, couldn't be completed by them, so it's now at the shop.  So, the Johnsons are down 2 cars.  5 drivers and 5 cars.  You would think we could sort this out.  Thank goodness that a) this is the last week of school for Benaiah and Jared and b) when Gary is gone, we have an extra car that now 2 people can drive (although Benaiah driving the most expensive vehicle in the family is a last option).  It was the last Sunday of both Craves and small groups, so our Sunday evening activities are officially done.  Jared and I will probably end up volunteering for nursery at the 4:30pm hr because other volunteers will be on vacation.  We are officially on summer break as of Thursday afternoon.  Yeah!  It's a fairly quiet week, so I'm sure we will catch up, set up a pool, mow, plant/garden/pull weeds, play, and do projects.  Time to be done early so I can get some sleep!

But first, one quick story.  Benaiah is super frustrated about the truck not being available and just being overwhelmed by finals, work, and social life.  So, he and Ava are at the Kroger Deli "studying" geometry because, get this, Ava's mom wants them to stay in a public place and Ava's mom goes to bed at 9, and Ava's dad works 2nd shift, so no one would be around to "watch" the teens.  But can you imagine having a study "date" at the Kroger Deli?  Bwahahaha, how romantic! Johnsons don't things the normal way, do we? He also needed some decompression time, so I let him go.  Going from a very loud and overwhelming back and forth day to a chaotic sibling filled home plus being super tired from having to stay at work past midnight last night because the dishwasher at work broke, he needed the one on one break.  I feel really good when I can say yes to things.  Grace at work, that's for sure.  We are making up the rules as we go and as long as he's being responsible, I don't want to put hard and fast rules on him.  Teen drivers have to be home at 10pm anyway.  And soon enough he'll have to make his own rules.  He's proven himself trustworthy (for the most part) in the last year.  So, I let him go.  He needed it.  Much better than playing video games to calm down.  But, dating at the Kroger Deli, who would have thought?  Lol.  Gotta love these two innocent and responsible teens.  And Ava got her license, too, and right now, they can't drive each other, so they drove in separate cars.  Just 3 more months and they can drive together.  Big steps for our almost adults.  Big steps.

A better look at the "take home" cake.

Johnson tradition states that you have to have birthday "cake" for breakfast the next day.  This is how close Jared can get.  Wowzers!  He loves to make a big breakfast but only does it on the weekend.  During the week, he only drinks butter coffee for breakfast.

Heavy rain was predicted for today, so Abishai got to wear his raincoat and use his umbrella.  He thought he was hot stuff!
I was sitting at Qdoba's with a friend while the kids were at youth group and a monsoon happened! Crazy winds and rain! It rained for about 10 minutes.  And the then the sun came out.  Crazy!



Um, wow! In just a few short weeks, the front garden has exploded!  I wouldn't say it is over run by weeds or that my efforts weren't worth it, but I need to go back through and do a little more.  Plus, I think the bushes in the back there need some trimming.  I don't remember the moses grass being so big last year.  Nice!


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment