Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Monday, June 14, 2021

Year 6, June 11th, 2021: Restful or Rough Weekend? You Decide

 6 months, 10 days until winter! We hit our first 90 degree day today and boy, I am ready for winter already. When we retire, we are heading north, not south. I'm so over feeling hot, sticky, sweaty and stinky. Thankfully, enough moms got there early enough to get us a shady table so the kids could play in the splashpad and we could stay somewhat cool. The bathrooms were right there, as well as the concession stand. They actually were handing out the free lunch program things so the kids got eat some pizza and milk and poptarts and fruit cups. Perfect! But I still got tired and eventually wanted to go home. Traffic was not fun and we had to swing by and pick up Keturah from volutneering with the lemonade stand again. Phew! We were all cranky and ready for screen time when we got home. And I did nothing productive until I made hamburgers for dinner. And I've done nothing productive since. And that's ok. Actually, I did weed the flower beds. That was satisfying. The air wasn't as humid, and Jared and Abishai were at karate, so I went out and did what I had wanted to do for the last two weeks like cut down the daffodil stalks and cut off the dead iris leaves and take out the little maple seedlings. 45 minutes later, and it was cleaned up. Easy peasy. But I was drenched in sweat. It's not for me. Where's my a/c? My clothes were so stuck to me and so chafing it was unbelievable. Blech. I want it to be winter again! Take me north! When I say, "I love the ocean, I love the beach." I'm not talking about laying out in the sun in my swimsuit and playing in the water. I'm talking about walking along the boardwalk with a winter jacket with a hat on in the winter. The coastline is what I like the most with it's sounds and smells, not swimming and sand castles. I'm a New England girl. We have to love the coastline for what it brings us.

I had breakfast with the Prince of Wales this morning because Jared didn't make us tea today. It tasted just like ordinary black tea. Whatever.

Amen.

Ready for the dump bucket.



Splash!

Yummy lunch! Then he ate his lunch on the way home and at home that we packed for him.

Free lunch with friends! None of whom really knew about the program or had planned on it, but it was a blessing.

Came home to see Momma bird fly off after feeding baby birds in the nest in the corner of the garage! Aww! And then the babies settled back down and all you could see were their beaks.

Gentleman that he is, Justin stood up so his friends could sit down.


There was a small playground near by. The splash pad was twice the size of our splash pads near our house. The pool/park was the same size or smaller and more expensive so we didn't go in there. I wonder if some of the families went down to our regular spot down the hill at the bigger playground.

I decided to do something with this mess today, whether or not it was the best thing to do with it.

Mr. Ladybug, well, how do you do? I talked to my plants as I weeded them this evening. It was kind of nice.


I swear these guys opened up as I was weeding. They didn't seem to be opened when I started and then I turn around and bam, they were open!

Better?! Perhaps. I guess I just let them die off last year? I didn't like the flattened look this year. So I cut them off. They will be fine. There's always a lot of them.

I cut off the dead parts of the irises crossing my fingers that I didn't somehow cut off the parts with the seeds. I mean, they have been prolific, so if I scewed it up, it wouldn't be that bad to fix it.

Next batch is about to bloom.

1....2....3....bloom!

Looking great!

This was supposed to be my rest day. But it turned out to not be. I ended up having to take Keturah to the lemonade stand because Jared took narcotics last night and he didn't want to drive with them in his system (insert the rolling my eyes emoji because the house was 5 minutes away). Then Keturah ate nasty smelling Fritos for breakfast because she woke up late and left the trash in my car (punk). Then I know I said "punk" about 10 more times to people, but I forget about what. It was just not the best start of my day after having gotten up again at 4:30 am to pee and having to stretch before falling asleep again. I did fall asleep this time and dreamed a crazy dream so I must have slept hard because I am exhausted! But there was no rest for the weary, despite me trying to sit on my couch to indicate I was not in charge today. I had to take a shower, although I sweated quickly after that in this 90 degree heat so what was the point? And then we need a few groceries and apparently $200 worth of prescriptions so I can live the good life. Then I went straight to pick up Keturah because they finished up early. THEN I came home and finally, hangrily, ate at 2pm. Yeah, it wasn't pretty because Justin couldn't hear me over closed doors and stupid fans to come help with bringing in dog food and groceries and bags of clothes that Jim left. Abishai was wandering all over the place waiting for Jared to find swim shorts, which he could have just grabbed the gray shorts I left on purpose on the bathroom counter in plain sight. And dishes that were used at lunch weren't put away or stacked in a way that let me get to my coffee maker or use the sink. And I was late on my meds. Thanks for all your help, people. Keturah pitched in though. 

I did lay down for a few hrs and tried to just listen to some things and play my games but then I just blew up again when I got up. Really, what's wrong with me? Oh yeah, surgery is in less than two days. Probably should prepare a bit more for that, mentally, because the unknown is creating way too much stress and anxiety in me right now. And part of me wishes it was me that was on the table getting an operation that could significantly reduce my problems. If only. But it doesn't work that way. And the more I complain about it, the more I hear the naysayers in my head saying things like, "It's not about you. It's about his pain." Well, his pain is acute. Mine is chronic. I'm not sure which is worse. Most of the time, I think chronic is worse. And I know what acute pain is and what I still had to do while in labor, like get groceries, walk the bleachers at an ice rink, walk myself up the stairs for a shower and then down the stairs and deliver a child without medication. Dudes. I know this stuff. Chronic pain is way worse. Acute pain has an ending. That means there's hope. Chronic pain does not. There is no hope. And it's depressing. And most people don't understand it.

And so it's taken me many tries of just sitting playing video games trying to breathe and calm down just to do the next right thing today. And I'm frustrated and tired, even now. So I guess I'll try again tomorrow. I'll go to church and an open house and I will fully declare I'm not in charge after that and Jared will have to get up and take the kids to youth group so I can fully prepare myself for Monday. Because if I don't, I'm afraid it's not going to go well and I'm going to end up cranky and have the worst bedside manner and be the worst nurse for whatever help he needs and then Leah's going to think I'm the worst wife and yada yada yada. On and on it goes. Cranky. That's me. God gave me this crap to deal with and some days, I can't deal with it. And others pay for it. Sorry. Satan got a hold of me today. He's making my life a mess right now. I'm not ready for Monday. Maybe Sunday will help. Maybe more food and more sweets will help. I don't know. Less clutter and more paperwork actually done and off my desk would be great, too. 

Keturah's group did make some money today, but they are all exhausted. They learned a lot. Abishai was on and off electronics and swam with Daddy. He did wear his glasses when he was told to. Justin helped Jared do some yard work before Jared went with Jim and Jeremy someplace about an hour away. And then Justin disappeared into his room, with the door closed so the cold hair can hit the thermostat so the a/c will turn off. And then I can't shout for him when I need, too. Jared thiniks it's a fine set up, and I think it's really invonvenient because then I can't yell down the hallway when my hands are into something in the kitchen and can't text Justin. Good grief. Creature comforts include not interrupting the routines. Sigh. Justin and Keturah went to bed early because they are tired, too. Abishai came out once but immediately went back. I cut the dog's toe nails and make three of them bleed on his hind paws, and I wasn't even going that short! Plus it was thundering so we had to quickly come inside. Keturah sat with him and kept him still until he stopped breathing. Jared cut Abishai's nails so I could wash dishes. Laundry button needs pushed because Justin went to bed super early. Sigh. Anyway, just trying to hold it together so I can go to sleep again. I'm not sure where this day has gone and I need to go finish my dinner that I wasn't quite hungry for. Good night.

I'm basing my searches on the types of surgery that Jared could be having based on some paperwork Jared got, so this could be possibly something they are doing on Monday. Yes, I regret not being involved in the doctor's appointments.

Another word in the document: foraminotomy.

The actual diagnosis.

This is the brand of candy I couldn't find at CVS the other day for Keturah. So I bought a huge bag of it for her.  I decided today that since her birthday is on Wednesday and we can't do anything much for it, that I should surprise her in front of her friends with something, especially since it's a milestone birthday, age 13!

I got her flowers, a cupcake balloon, the Trollis, and some yummy prepackaged pie things to share with whoever was left. We also got to sing to her. Woot! Woot! She only looked a little embarrassed and was pretty pleased I did it for her.

Now, for her 16th birthday, I already told her Jared to start planning on what simple piece of fine jewelry he is going to buy her that includes the blue kind of alexandrite, her favorite color! We'll see! I always wanted a real ruby in a simple cold band for my 16th birthday. It didn't happen, but that's ok.

Cute balloon and I just got the colored daisies since Keturah loves to have lots of colors around.

 Sunday was a bit better, but wow, last night was crazy! We had a nasty storm that knocked out power for 7 hrs! I can't remember when I've ever been in a place without power for more than a few minutes at a time. Maybe once in the Beech Grove house or in Charlottetown we lost power for an hour or two. There was an advantage to living in the city because you'd get your power restored quickly, that's for sure. But not like last night. 7 hours! I woke up many, many times and I have no idea why. Although the house was quiet and darker than normal, it wasn't terribly hot or stuffy. But my restless leg syndrome has kicked into full gear again. I'm not sure why. I don't know if it's because of new meds or what. If Jared wasn't having surgery tomorrow, I would be taking melatonin tonight. And I just ordered an off brand Fitbit type watch thing to see if I can track my sleep cycles and such. I did switch my water pill to the morning though. The back of my thighs are all tight like I worked out. I sit down and they are sore. It's so weird. And so, I was grouchy yesterday. I'm still a bit grouchy today, but we had places to go.

We had a meeting for Abishai's camp to get to at 10:30 and I guess I hadn't told Jared recently enough about it because he was still shaving when it was time to leave. So, we left without him. I wanted him to be there so we could both encourage Abishai that it was ok to be without us for a whole day. Unfortunately, I missed a couple of minutes of the meeting and the room was crowded. Abishai's leaders weren't there, so we couldn't meet them. But Mrs. Erica and Nolan was there, so we got to sit by them. Abishai will be in a mixed gender group with Nolan and another boy and a bunch of 1st grade girls and both women and men leaders. It's going to be so sweet because in the pool, they will be in the shallow end, and the leaders will stand at the end of the slides and catch the kids if they wanted to be caught. They will also help put their swimmies on and there will be plenty of lifeguards and adults in the pool. It's so weird to think my little guy will be in a pool without one of us there. But I have to trust that there will be plenty of eyes on him at all times. He still wasn't sure by the end of the meeting, but by lunch time, he said it was going to be ok. I think he liked the idea of the slides in the pool. They will also get to take a boat ride out on the lake and there's a playground and story time, craft time, singing time, and lunch. All the fun stuff. Mrs. Erica will be there taking photos. And other adults that will be familiar to him at least. He will be exhausted and I just pray that I won't have to peel him off of me or push him out of the van. 

Later on after church at Ella Spence's open house, Abishai got to spend a few minutes with Nolan again, so that was nice. Erica reminded me that Nola is an introvert, so we could just pair these two together, all should be ok. Nolan likes Abishai, but Abishai isn't always sure of playing with Nolan. I think this camp experience is going to be a great bonding experience for them. They go to Sunday School together most Sundays. I invited Erica and Nolan and little brother Conner over to swim anytime. And hopefully, over the next few years, their relationship will grow. We'll see. 

Church was great! Dan had some awesome things to say about Daniel 2 and I wrote a lot of notes and some questions of my own to ask the women at Bible study, so we'll see what the Creek's questions for group discussion are. Should be interesting. Daniel 2 is about Nebuchadnezzar's dream about the statue that depicts the different kingdoms and predicts Jesus, the Rock, destroying them all. Anyway, great songs, too, and for once, I appreciated being down closer to the front in the air conditioning. Lol. After church, we came home and ate a bite of lunch before walking down the hill to the Spences for the open house around 1. We stayed until almost 3pm because I was waiting for Gary and Leah to show up. We did have some good conversations with people we know. We've known the Spences for 15 or so years and we have a lot of mutual friends since their kids and Benaiah/Justin are all the same ages. So, they are all graduating at the same time it seems. Somehow, they pulled off putting a few things in place and decorating it for an open house, all in one week! Yes, they just moved into the house this week. But it was also a bit odd standing in the kitchen remembering being there with the previous owners, Justin and Angie. I didn't go through the house or anything with them, but yeah, now it's the Spences. So weird. It's going to work out well, and I know they will use it well. And I know Justin and Angie will be with their family, which is very important, too. It was great to be outside in the shade with a bit of a breeze enjoying the weather. But it was super hot when you got in the direct sunlight like when we walked back up the hill to go home. I didn't eat anything, but I did get to have a nice mocha cold brew with almond milk. That was a great way to have my coffee for the day. Ella was kind, although I know she doesn't know me well. She's babysat Nolan and Conner many times so she knows who Abishai is and us in general. She's a sweet, very petite, young lady. I'm glad we have them in the neighborhood.

Then it was naptime for Jared and screen time for us. I set up a fan in front of me near my couch and Abishai stayed with me with his tablet. He played a cool game that worked on which numbers added up to another certain number, all within the addition facts he was working on. And he was figuring it out and enjoying it so much that he never went to another non educational app. At one time, he laid down and went under the heavy blanket and then I smelled a faint sweat smell, like when he's got sweat in his hair and I said, "Get that blanket off of you, you are sweating!" What a goof! It's 90 degrees outside! But I'm glad he stayed near me. I liked sharing that time and space with him for once.

And then it was time for chores and getting the middles to church for their hang time and to the Brakes for their pool time. Oh yeah, it's summer youth group time! Nerf wars  and tie dye for Keturah and games and pool time for Justin. And next year, they BOTH will be at Brakes and Justin will get drive them BOTH and I can stay home! Woot! Woot! I can't wait for that! Then I came home and ate a bit and finished putting away laundry. Abishai and Daddy went swimming after they ate, too. Daddy can't swim for awhile, so it was important that they did that as well as their game time. Daddy did go get the kids from their activities as Abishai wanted to stay in the pool. I watched him as I finished up typing answers to people on Facebook. Then it was time to wrap up the day and prepare for the hospital tomorrow. I wanted to pack food and stuff to do but probably won't do. I'm trying to finish up so Jared and I can talk since he's giving me the silent treatment right now because I exploded yesterday, but I keep getting sidetracked and interrupted. Trying to help a homeschooler and catch up with an acquaintance. Good grief. I'm grateful for some quiet/down time tomorrow. I just want some better sleep. I'll take some melatonin tomorrow night and see if that helps.

I did get some photos and videos today, so I hope to get those done here quickly. And then I'll do my backups tomorrow. Time is ticking away too quickly.

The power was out but the lightning lit up the sky! I didn't recognize the power was out until I went to flick on the sunroom light again to keep watching my show and it didn't turn on. Then I realized that the house was quiet. No fans were running. So I turned off my computer because it was running on it's battery, but the wifi was off. I could barely get my data on my phone to work at first. It was so weird.



I was worried we lost Abishai's Spiderman ball, but he found out way over on the other side of the yard. The fence had caught it. The bamboo survived just fine, but it was blowing around like crazy!



No, this is not a daytime photo, this was lightning. The storm itself lasted about an hour.

Yes, we get it. Stop reminding me.

The check in system at church has the kids' birthdays in it so when it's their week, it will list "B" and the day of the week their birthday is on. So Keturah's birthday is on Wednesday, the 16th, so it was on her tag. No one noticed though because her tag was on her leg! Goof!

The Spences had lawn bowling where you throw a football at regular bowling pins. Justin loved it. He has such a good arm!


Abishai with Sam I Am.

Great entertainment for the rest of us, lol.


Now it's the little kids' turn, Abishai vs. Nolan. But Abishai would rather play by himself.


No, Mom, you didn't do it right. You have to put it in color order.


Like this, see? Yes, sir!



Then they played cornhole. Both boys could throw the bean bags quite a long distance.



Flowers galore to enjoy! Look at this beauty! There's another one just behind it ready to open, too. So many colors!



The heavy rain knocked down these purple flowers. Maybe I should find something to prop them up. I'm sorry bees. I know they are your favorite. But I did see some bees doing their thing.

The one on the left is different than the other bushy types in the flower bed and seems to have just grown a bunch this year. Different kind of leaves, too. And then there's that little one on the right ready to pop.

Look at these guys! Ready to feed the birds!


These are from the other grassy bushy ones.

Rose bush is all over the place this year. Not sure what to do with it or how to trim it back. The roses are ok but don't last long either. Not very symmetrical or even.

So much green! I'm so proud of my flower beds! I talk to all my beauties, too, and think of my friend Alisha, every time I walk by the different varieties. And I didn't plant most of them. I love how eclectic they are and resilient. So different and yet prolific and happy and growing more and more each year, so I know I must be doing something right at least. I know there's some crowding. It's not perfect. It's a bit wild. It's a bit survival of the fittest. But it's fun to watch who pops up next!


This was our only catastrophe from the storm. Just a branch. Easy to move to the branch pile. I guess other yards weren't so lucky. Some roads weren't even passable. It was a very unpredictable pop up storm.


The bamboo is ok.

Laughing at the creatures having a dance party after he practices his math. Fun game!

Keturah is proudly wearing her new Canada shirt next a very pregnant Mrs. Alison who stopped by the girls' lemonade stand again. Oh, Mrs. Alison, do be careful. This heat is not good for you. How do I know? Because I was pregnant with Keturah and was so swollen before I had her on the 16th. It was not fun. Do be careful! Mrs. Alison is all ready for this baby to come. I think the due date is only a couple of weeks away and they have a date set up in case the baby girl doesn't arrive until then. It's so soon! And it's going to be such a joyous rainbow baby the world has ever seen. So far, everything is normal. Praise the Lord!

One last swim before surgery. It's hard to get this fishy out of the water, though.


He wants to stay in there all day!



Um, intern, or whoever, read your Bible. That's not how you spell Keturah. Someone needs to be educated. Good grief! Oh well, at least we can laugh about it. But now, I have to deal with this shirt tomorrow afternoon when we come home from the surgery. Blech. Another tie dye shirt. I guess she did grow out of the other ones. She loves these things. Whatever floats her boat. At least she's not wearing halter tops and cut off shorts and all the rest. She was wearing my shirt from Macinac Island today. It looked good on her and I don't mind. It has horses on it. Great color for her, too, and she had her hat on. I'm glad she has chosen to dress modestly. One less fight to fight. But "Catura" is definitely the weirdest spelling of Keturah I have ever seen! Lol!


 

 

 

 

 

The End


No comments:

Post a Comment