Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Monday, June 26, 2017

Year 2, Day 177: Short and sweet?

Well, it will be a short blog post, I think.  Not many pictures taken.  Just trying to survive a very long day that started with Jared getting up around 6, packing, yes PACKING at 6 am in order for him and Benaiah to meet up with the rest of the Bible Bowl team at 7:30 to drive down to Kansas City, MO.  He did lay out his clothes last night, but yup, that's typically how he prepares for traveling.  Sigh.  Then Abishai wakes up at 6:30 because he heard Daddy, so I quickly got him to the front door to say good-bye.  That was a mistake because Abishai was very upset that Daddy was driving Ice Cream's car away.  (Long story, but we trade cars often for many reasons).  But Justin and Keturah also got up quickly to say good bye, and we did get to pray together.  That was awesome!

But then we were up.  So we started our day very early.  Which made us all incredibly grouchy by 9 pm.  Everyone had a shower today for once, the pool and yard got cleaned up, chores were up to date, and I found the "throw away" dog hair picker upper that I've reused for 6 years so I was able to get up the chunks of hair off of the floor.  Our vacuum over heats in under 5 minutes, so we just have to do spot vacuuming in the worst spots and go quickly.  Thankfully, most of the floors are laminate, so we can just dry mop.  It was pretty cool outside, and I almost turned the heat on because it was taking forever for the sun to warm up the house!  I tried to get a little unpacking of piano books done, but I don't have enough bookshelf space, so I'm going to have to get creative and maybe purge those again.  That's hard to do because what is left are musicals we've done over the years, older praise and worship books, hymnals from all sorts of places and years, and my CCM collection of music books.  Plus the stuff I will never give up like guitar chords and songs my mom (or dad) wrote, and even their childhood piano books.  Since I moved the nativity that is usually on the piano to a safer spot, I think I'll creatively put some of the hymnals up there and make them look nice.  I'm excited to start playing again, although we don't have money for a tuning right now.  It's been 4 years and has been moved twice now, so it is in desperate need of a good tuning.  Thankfully, it's not as bad as the piano I grew up on, but still, it needs it.  Just add it to the list.

I posted on Twitter today:

Feels good to have a friend knock on the door to ask to play with our kid again.

I should have sent the girls outside though because they woke up Abishai, thus we had a rough bedtime.

Pretty average day.  Oh, I did do some food prep for the week in that I made shredded potatoes for hashbrowns and froze them uncooked in 2 person servings.  And made cubed potato hashbrowns for breakfast today and tomorrow.  I don't like being in the kitchen and babysitting the stove.  I don't like cutting vegetables.  I like to stick it in a crockpot and forget it.  But, I can't always do that.  So, I'm upping my game a little. I broiled salt and garlic chicken in my toaster oven tonight.  It was overdone, so I'll back off the timing, but it tasted fine.  Oh, and I think I figured out Abishai's "bum hurt" issue.  It could be related to too much sugar causing yeast and bacteria overgrowth.  So, instead of vanilla wafer for breakfast, he can have plain cheerioes or cornflakes, or toast with butter, or anything that doesn't resemble a sugar coated bomb.  We'll see.  He says, "knees" when he wants shorts or pants on so that his knees are covered.  He saw Grandma doing laundry and wanted to put the shirt he was wearing into the washer too.  He ate most of a popsicle without getting it on his shirt (the very last piece fell on the floor though).  And he got to go with Grandma and Grandpa all by himself so I didn't have to chase him at my homeschool meeting.  He didn't want to leave their house and said, "off, off!" meaning keep my shoes off!  But alas, we had to come home to doggy.

I had a homeschooling meeting on elementary math tonight.  I had a hard time preparing for it because my brain is in a fog, and I hope it was encouraging and confusing to other moms and dads, but I thought it could have been a bit better.   1 1/2 hrs is not a long enough time to tackle a topic!  I can't wait to have all of my books out of boxes so I can invite some of these younger women over and go through different things one on one.

Jared, Benaiah and the team did get down to Missouri easily and fairly quickly.  They check in for the Bible Bowl part tomorrow, Benaiah does the written test, and then they set up the e2 booth before 5 pm.  Then on Tuesday, the competition starts and Jared mans the booth for NACC.  Should be fun!  Meanwhile, I have books to unpack and a very sore back from moving the book boxes on Friday.  It should be a slow and steady day tomorrow. 

5 years ago, back when the men had more hair and that hair was brown and not gray, Justin was baptized!

Now, Justin wrestles with the dog in a sleeping bag.  Still cute though.

We finally had the van that was in our driveway tagged as an abandoned vehicle and had it removed.

The mighty king on his throne.

Justin had already brushed Socks for the day.  But he had mention that there were knots in Socks' groin area.  So, I took care of them and oh so much more.  This is all from that particular area.

Uh oh, I've been dog haired.

Sparkles? In the sink? How? Why? The neighbor girl got glitter on her foot and tried to rinse it off in the sink.  Pretty!

You can't see it, but now Keturah's room really does sparkle because there's a trail of glitter everywhere.

This was done on purpose.  I had just tld the girls to be creative.  I should have been more specific on how and when t do use the supplies.

Old hymnals on top, classical music, music history and theory in the bottom.  I still have a whole box worth to fit in here.
You know it's going to be a long day/week when husband wakes up at 5:30 & ur son scratches ur nose making it bleed

Never ever put metal in the microwave!  It possibly sparked and then cracked the metal handle all over.  The white cup is the one that was "ruined" and the blue cup is good to go.  But why would someone make a coffee cup that couldn't go in the microwave?  Especially for busy moms who are always warming up the same cup of coffee or tea several times before finishing it.

What can brown do for you? Hopefully not add to this mess. purge

Ta da!  The white van is gone!  Now they have more space to ride their bikes!  Yeah!
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment