Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Day 90 Maple sugaring day!

One of my favorite times of the year! In March and April, in the North, the sugar maple trees are tapped and sweet water flows! I LOVE LOVE LOVE maple syrup ever since an alternative high school started a sugar shack program that started on our pastor's property by their eldest son.  The kids had to either choose to make maple syrup or take a part in a Shakespeare play.  And now that I'm back in the North, I look forward to teaching the kids all about it.  There is just something about the purity of maple syrup versus the alternatives.  And $20 for 1 Liter of it?! Oh my, so awesome!

Iconic image of course.  We went to MacPhee's, which is the same place where we picked apples last fall.

Another perfect iconic image of maple sugaring.  Oh, and we had just read about it in "Little House in the Big Woods."

A little on the chilly side overnight, so the sap froze in the bucket.  The guy actually had thawed a bucketful for us to try.

The 2nd most important "nectar of the gods" (although I don't believe in those gods of course, but I like the phrase!)  The 1st being coffee of course!

Justin spotted a friendly neighbor in an abandoned property near a gas station in Cardigan, PE.

Yeah, the good stuff!

Boo! The not so good for you stuff (but I guess it's all up to taste preference.)

Keturah was sharing popcorn with Abishai while I was reading our history book today.

No comments:

Post a Comment