Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Year 2, Day 67: Great day full of life!

It was one of those picture-less days because we were just so busy.  I tried to get moving a little quicker this morning, but still felt rushed by mid day because I hadn't accomplished much.  What did I  do all morning?  No idea.  The kids did a bit of school, and because co op doesn't meet again for awhile, I'm not pushing that they get their assignments done this week.  Instead, we worked in 2 history lessons on Egypt today and I left them with a couple of bigger assignments over the weekend for it.  Our history book spends about 4 or 5 lessons on Egypt, so maybe two weeks total, before it moves on to other Bible character and ancient civilizations.  I know some homeschoolers will take whole months and semester to work on just one ancient civilization.  Our book is more of a deep survey of world history.  Nonetheless, we do go through all the resources my mom saved for us, the best that we can.  The kids did actually ask some great questions and seemed to be connecting the dots as I talked about more than what the history book said.  Justin's questions was: "Where did all the treasures that were stolen from the Valley of the Kings go?"  I don't know, go look it up!  And he said he can't wait to read "The Golden Goblet" which was a favorite book of mine from this time period and Benaiah also read it.  I do have a basic secular unit study that goes with it with some great comprehension questions, so we are going to take this book a bit slower and use parts of that resource.  Usually I just have them read something and narrate it back to me.  I'm just excited that they were into it!

Plus, I had already planned to take the to the Children's Museum tomorrow, and there's a nice portion of a permanent exhibit dedicated to mummies!  I told them that we are going to take it slow and read every sign and do all the activities in that particular area and the new circus area.  We aren't going to hit all the exhibits tomorrow.  I want to teach them to take museums at a slower pace and to appreciate all the efforts that curators take to present things with their displays and signs, their research and planning what will grab visitors' attentions.  So, look for that tomorrow!

Meanwhile, I did 45 minutes of Zumba tonight and Keturah and Abishai came into the large room and wasn't too sure of the 58 ladies trying this dance exercise, including their mama.  I didn't try as hard to keep up with the leader and did my best to just keep moving at my own pace and make up my own little dance steps when needed.  Then Jared and I looked at houses on his computer while Justin and Benaiah finished up Bible Bowl.  We have several properties we want to see soon, maybe even Friday.  After Bible Bowl, we stopped at Gary's house and we all Facetimed with Grandma and the birthday girl, my niece, Everly!  She turned the big 10 today!  Woot! Woot!  We talked schedules for tomorrow and then tried to put the kids to bed quickly so we could make a plan for seeing houses.

That was our day!  Crazy busy!  And I still have a long list of to do's and there's simply no time to get it all done!  Ah!  Oh, and we went to the library and the grocery store this morning.  The kids did not complain too much about hauling in the huge load of groceries and Keturah even helped put things in the pantry.  Yeah!  Also, it was International Women's Day and because it's somewhat linked to the Women's March done a couple of months ago, I did not participate.  I didn't wear red, I still went to "work" as a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom, and I went shopping for food.  The point of the "holiday" of course varies according to the country you're in.  It's just not something I want to support right now.

Well, I best be getting to bed soon.  I've got loads to do tomorrow and this weekend!  Good night!

If I have time, I'll take some pictures of our Egypt study and other projects like books we are reading and craft projects that are very slowly coming together, are even video games the kids love.  But for now, here's the 4 middle grandchildren a month ago.  Everrly, whoe just turned 10 today, is the one sitting next to Justin.  And boy could they easily be twins!

The 4 Musketeers.  Adorable!!
A couple of other things to note is that Abishai can point to major body parts when we ask him to!  He loves the "Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" song and can do the eyes, ear, nose and mouth part too!  Keturah has almost finished reading "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" all on her own over the past few days!  Justin has to pack before we leave tomorrow because he's going with Grandpa on a ministry trip to Nebraska.  And Benaiah is learning all kinds of behind the scenes stuff at church, like how to clean the soundboard, and how to set up a stage so that it's set a certain way for taking videos, and making sure the electronics work, etc.  It's kind of like an apprenticeship.  Pretty neat!  I've kept up on email and vlogs today and Jared has a full day at work, including, having the opportunity to walk around in his socks because no one else comes into his office.

That's it!  See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment