Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Year 2, Day 83: Two days down, two to go.

I'm so tired!  But I'm happy and full, satisfied.  Attending the IAHE homeschool convention didn't change my homeschool methods or where I'd like to go for us next year, but it did open up the opportunities to connect with others and see where God might take me (us) ministry wise.  I'm excited to see how it will all pan out.  I'd like to volunteer with IAHE and get this mentor/mentee groups going, etc.  I really enjoyed being in the alumni (those who graduated from homeschool) panel and sharing the pros and cons of my own upbringing.  We had a spectrum of people on the panel, from an 18 year old to a 23 yr old who's been married for just a few months, to a young family with a 2 yr old, to me, to a slight older than me mom with 6 kids, and one will graduate this year.  Our stories were all different, but there were some similarities like how homeschooling has prepared us well for adult life and work by teaching us how to learn and seek information and basic life skills and a drive to keep learning.  It was really, really neat.

I also bought a few fun things for the kids in order to support some vendors, and ordered our math books for next year.  I did get some answers to some new to me curriculum so I can make a better decision for next year.  I got to hang out with some friends for a bit today, who ended up taking me home because my planned ride had to go home early.  I was thankful that I didn't have to stay to do any clean up because I am done being with people.  But, I knew I would have a limit.  I cannot wait to do more with IAHE!

The other part of our family survived at home by going outside and using every cup and plate imaginable!  I had a full dishwasher load to go through plus a sink full to wash!  They didn't get their jobs and chores done, so I had to push some things off and just make sure we are ready for church and baby dedication tomorrow.  Justin's still not feeling great, so please pray for him.  Abishai learned how to say "hi" "bye" and "amen" all in one day!  And he was adorable running around with his cloth diaper showing because his pants were falling down.  It sounds like they had a great day together running around outside and napping (Jared and Justin both napped again!)

This is what I put on FB tonight, which sounds a bit more put together than I can do right now.  Here goes:

Exhausted but happy and full. Pray for me as I still have two full days of activities ahead. My fibro body will need the rest of the week to recover. I hope there's nothing else on my schedule.....but just so you know, there is much, much MUCH more to the Math U See guy than math. I've really gained a respect for Steve Demme and all that he's been through and where God has taken him in the last 5-7 years. I bought the whole set of convention talks, main speakers and all workshops, which, b/c they are mp3's are a whole lot cheaper than one would think. But still, I've become my parents! Buying curriculum, talking about homeschooling, and buying the convention talks! (I have some of the talks they bought on cassette tape 25 years ago!) So, yeah, full circle. I wish they had been there with me this weekend. They would have had such a blast and would be amazed at how far homeschooling has come since the "pioneer days" i.e. the 80's and 90's. They were most certainly pioneers of our town, leading the way, setting the bar high. I've always admired them for that. Anybody who knew them, knew they did love Jesus, but they also loved their kids to a fault. The sacrifices they made for us were incredible. And I was able to reflect that every time I spoke to a prospective or young homeschooler, and in the alumni panel, and with the older homeschoolers, too. I loved hanging around the mentor moms who knew what those first days were like 30 years ago. I can't wait to stay in touch with them, too, and I'm sure my involvement with IAHE is only going to grow. I think I really have found where I belong. My parents would be so proud of me. I knew they always were. I never, ever doubted that, nor their love, despite the things that my family walked through. I wish they were here to watch our journey through homeschooling and parenting our kids. Sigh. I'm miss them a lot. Their legacy will forever live on. I make sure of that.

This is Steve Demme, the math u see guy, but more importantly, he has an inspiring story to tell that I will never forget.  Such a gentle giant (he's wicked tall!)  

A close up of some of the swords at one booth, that are apparently indestructible and if they do break, they will replace it, no questions asked.  I bought the one on the far right for Benaiah.  I bought other stuff, but  I haven't taken pictures of the things yet.  I bought some real paint by number kits for Keturah, some rocks and minerals for Justin, and a small wooden gun for Abishai.  Oh, and I bought some new piano books from a couple who sold brightly color violins and ukuleles and lots of other training materials.


Yes, 30 years ago, this speaker Zan Taylor, almost went to jail because she wanted to homeschoool her son in South Carolina and lots of city and state officials got involved.  She warned us to be careful because we are one or two bad decisions in Congress away from our freedom to home school is taken way.  So, we need to stay involved, talk with our representatives and senators on local and national level, and not bury our heads in the sand.





Every homeschool conference wouldn't be complete with jean skirts/jumpers and nutrimills (machiens where you grind your own flour in.)  

I came home to a stuffy house that seemed a whole lot warmer than 68 degrees.  It's probably closer to 75 inside, so I put on shorts and declared it hot!  Lol, I think Canada had a bigger impact on me physically than I realized if  I think withstand cooler temperatures just fine, but not anything over 75 degrees!  Whoops!
Everyone is welcome to the baby dedication tomorrow at Indian Creek Christian Church at 3:30.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment