I could have done so much more today, but just didn't push myself. I caught up on some YouTube videos myself and played around with some of my own games. But, that's ok. I will try to do more tonight and tomorrow, which is another stay at home day until the evening. Of course we had church tonight and we have youth group and choir tomorrow. Nice and easy and normal routine. I'm looking forward to being at church for 2 hours tomorrow because I can spend 1/2 hr to 1 hr walking around inside the building for exercise and then the rest of the time is for reading and cross stitch. Oh man, I've become my mother!! She would sit at my sister's swim practices or at our youth group meetings and knit or sew small quilt pieces, and maybe she read some, too. But I don't remember that. I do know that Grandma Howell and lots of the other moms at youth group would meet in a class room while us kids did our thing and prayed for us and for each other. My mom would pray with her eyes open and her hands agoing on her knitting. And I KNOW that their prayers made a difference because we were a pretty tight knit little group and most of us, if not all, have continued to remain in the faith and have strong connections with the church wherever we ended up living. I'm still friends with the moms of my friends and my friends, if only to see how their kids are doing on Facebook. Great memories.
Meanwhile, my little introverts are reading machines! Well, I'm not sure if I wrote about this before, but here goes. Back when Benaiah was starting to learn to read, Grandpa Johnson voluntarily told him that he would pay Benaiah $0.05 a page for his reading. Well, that tradition has continued on with the other kids. When Keturah reads, she's to come tell me about what she read. Justin did that as well, but now he has to write book reports. Thankfully, they both read books for pleasure that they don't report on, so the focus is not all on the money. I forget when Benaiah stopped doing this little incentive, but it probably was when he started mowing and snowblowing for money. We've kept track over the years, but I only have a document that goes back two years. So, here are the current stats for these two: Keturah has read 4585 pages and has earned $229.25. Justin has read 9418 pages and has earned $470.90. That's crazy! All for just reading over the last two years! Now, we have always insisted that they give 10% to the church every time they have paid, so they have. But, the problem is that we have also let them spend every penny of the other 90%. Most of the time, it has gone to Legos. Keturah did buy her $50 cd player with some of her money. Therefore, from now on, we are encouraging/insisting that they do their 10% tithe, save 50% for LONG term savings (more than a year) and then they can spend the other 40% however they like, even saving it up for a year and buying a bigger Lego set or something. We are so proud of our kids for being such great readers. And sometimes, I have to remind myself, that wow, I really did teach them all to read, didn't I? It was more like guiding them and drilling them and them being willing to learn, rather than me being a great teacher. Cool!
Speaking of teaching, we have a ton of Jenga blocks and Justin and Keturah like to make two Jenga towers with them. They call this version, "The Twin Towers" game after the Twin Towers in NYC that fell on 9/11. I have no problem with this because at least they are remembering something we learned in our history lessons! And they aren't being disrespectful of what the event was, like they are not laughing hysterically when the Jenga towers fall. That's pretty neat!
Another neat thing is that we got information back on whether or not we can get a mortgage and if we can get one at a decent rate. And we were amazed at how well our credit score actually is and what we can "afford" and what rate we can get! Praise the Lord! So, that's one more step closer to making Indianapolis our permanent home again. I know that there is the "perfect" home out there for us. We are looking every day and so is our agent. We'll know it when we see it. And it will be all because God put it there and it will be in His timing, just like the Beech Grove home was and our rental in Charlottetown. Now onward to putting together everything I need to get the taxes done! It's very intimidating, but if I can get out there and do Zumba and meet new people and try new homeschool methods, I can certainly put my hand to the plow and get these silly taxes done!
|We went from 70 degrees to 30 degrees in one day! We woke up to a bit of snow on the ground and it was freezing cold walking into church tonight.|
|Jared pointed out that the snow fell on the east side of the buildings and cars this time, which is unusual. Most weather in the midwest comes from west.|
|The camera is facing north, so the right side of the picture is the east. See the snow on the cars? Cool observation!|