Our Family

Our Family
Justin (16), Keturah (13), Benaiah (19), Abishai (6), Melinda, and Jared

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Day 225: Go Sharks!

Well, today was Benaiah's official orientation at Southside Christian School where he will be attending for his 9th grade school year.  I was a hot mess.  The school is as perfect as can be.  The focus is not just on academics, but helping these preteen and teens mature into Christ following adults.  And they really mean that.

And yet, I cried like he was going away to college or something.  Ok, I cried last night when no one could see me.  When you've kept your baby home for 14 years, it's just a little (a lot) hard to let go of that control, even to people you have 110% faith in.  Part of it is feeling guilty that I can no longer do it myself.  Part of it is watching your plans and dreams die because God has other plans for him.  I could go on, and some of you probably won't understand, but that's where I was at today.  Jared and Benaiah: they were totally fine and cool with it all.  Benaiah talked with his teachers, made sure he was signed up for the right things, found his locker (he has a locker!) and met a few students.  Practice runs to school have been made.  To Jared, it's old hat because he experienced it.  To me, I never did.  I was homeschooled all the way through high school, so ALL of this is new, and I'm very curious, not because I'm making sure everything is right, but I just want to understand how it all really works.  I've only heard stories, lol.  Academically he's at or above grade level, so it's just a matter of getting used to the pace and tests.  Socially, oh my goodness, I never have to worry about that boy's social skills!  He's Mr. Popular!

Anyway, thankfully, a couple of old friends of mine, who previously homeschooled their kid(s), came over to me and assured me all is well.  It's only 57 students for 6 grade levels, so it should be fairly easy to get to know people.  I did have to beg for pictures.  Again, this is totally new for our family, and I didn't care if other parents did it or not.  I wanted to mark this day in our family's history.  Benaiah reluctantly agreed.

The Bible teacher, Mr. Melvin, a favorite among the students, demonstrates proper and improper attire for the school.  C - covers what it should, C-comfortable, no uniforms, and C (I forgot this one!)  Anyway, the rules are pretty basic and what we follow anyway.

He's got a locker! But they spelled his name wrong, of course.

Benaiah sporting his Canada shirt in the Sharks hallway.

Who names school's sports team and logo, etc.?  Anyway, it's cute, but why sharks?
 So, after orientation, I came home and actually cooked for once, on this new diet plan of mine.
Cheeseburger pie.  Not shepherd's pie.  Just ground beef and cream with cheese.

Fried okra using Trim Healthy Mama copycat blend.  Kids didn't like it, and that's fine, it's for me anyway.

Epic fail: Kale chips.  Granted, there was a second leafy green in the bag and it's past it's prime, but still.  Not going to do it again.

And last but not least, Mr. A turned 18 months today!  Time flies!  Having a bedtime snack here of a cheese danish, of which, he wanted to just eat the middle of.

Abishai sat down in his junior chair, which is too short for the counter, and tried to take bites of his danish from the edge. Too funny!
 And finally, the schedules are all in place!  Everyone has a relatively cheap activity to do for the semester and the school schedules are penciled in.  Phew!  Let's get this party started!

3 kids, 4 schedules.  Keturah has joined kids' choir at the church, the same one Benaiah was involved in for 5 years.  Then there's Benaiah's schedule and the middles' HSG homeschol group schedule.  And finally, the boys are both doing Teen Bible Bowl.  Thankfully, kids' choir meets at the same time as when the boys of youth group on Sunday nights, so same building and same time.  We'll be out for only two nights a week (not including church on Saturday nights).  Mondays are co op days.  Benaiah's school is Monday through Friday.  Boys will have once a month competitions with Bible Bowl on Saturdays for a good portion of the day.  Seems manageable.  I've left room for at home days and play days.  Now, let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment